Truck bed camping Insulation

JoeDirt

WKR
I built a box, 4" memory foam mattress, decent sleeping bag and a dog. I stay warm but could use a little heater. Trying to insulate a leaky bed and canopy is a poor waste of time and money. Good sleeping bag and a small heater to take the edge off. Ive even opened the rear slider and ran my truck heater, it actually works really well.

IMG_5461.jpg

Squamch

WKR
In my old toyota I glued wood strips to the walls around the windows and hung up painting dropsheets for curtains. Then I slept on my regular sleeping pad in a sleeping bag. I used spray adhesive to stick some indoor/outdoor carpet to the roof to stop condensation.

curt514

FNG
I have been in the mid 20’s with no issues. I have a carpeted shell and a bed rug. I did have an insulated sleeping pad and I was just wearing shorts with my down bag draped like a quilt. I did have the wing vents open in the shell to vent and moisture. I am pretty sure I could go down to the single digits without needing a heater. Granted I just have an F150 with the 5.5ft bed so that may help some.

Marble

WKR
When you guys are using most of the bed as a sleeping area, where do you like to store the rest of your gear?
I put a piece of 1" plywood across the front area of the bed. It actually sits in the rail of the shell. Its probably "40 deep. We set all of our stuff on there at night and make coffee with the jet boil while in bed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Whatever canopy you get, get it carpet lined. Then buy a bedrug for your bed. With those two things and whatever good quality sleeping pad, you'll be able to sleep back there comfortably. I have that set up and sleep more nights than I'd like to admit in my truck bed with my 20 degree quilt and no additional heat and am in heaven. The bed rug is the single greatest purchase for a truck bed that you crawl in. Insulates great and feels so good on the knees and hands when crawling around.
Totally agree on the worth of the Bedrug liner. I originally lined my box with a Line-X spray-on liner and after looking more closely at the Bedrug decided I should have gone that route instead. Ended up installing the Bedrug over the top of my Line-X spray-on. At approximately 1/3 the cost of the Line-X I much prefer the Bedrug...warm, padded, durable. I feel like it is a completely under-hyped product.

Voyageur

WKR
When you guys are using most of the bed as a sleeping area, where do you like to store the rest of your gear?
As previously stated some things stay inside the topper. Some things outside the truck. Other items go in the cab. Depends on the item and where I'm spending the night.

Crusader

WKR
This may seem like a dumb question but is the Bedrug liner permanent or removable? If permanent, wouldn't something like that negate the usefulness and utility of a pickup for things like hauling loads of rock or mulch or other dirty materials?

curt514

FNG
This may seem like a dumb question but is the Bedrug liner permanent or removable? If permanent, wouldn't something like that negate the usefulness and utility of a pickup for things like hauling loads of rock or mulch or other dirty materials?
They are removable but it would be a little hard to store. They come in pieces and zip together and they just have Velcro to hold it to the bed. I am not using the Velcro on mine. It fits tight under the bed rails and stays in great.

I have hauled gravel, dirt and other messy stuff and the usually just vacuum the bed. If it's necessary I can hose it or once (after hauling fertilizer) had the car wash shampoo it. Good as new. Just a great liner. If you ever manage to stain it, the company will replace it. I know...they replaced one of mine once. I spilled diesel fuel on it. If you buy one, request and use TRIPLE THE NUMBER OF VELCRO TAPE especially for securing the sides and tailgate. Trust me on this one. Nothing gets under the rug if you do this.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm currently building out an M101a3 army trailer to use it for family camping and hauling hunting camp sometimes. I put down the generic bedrug kit and really like it. Im definitely going to be purchasing a kit for my next pickup truck