Truck bed security

ohoopee

WKR
Does anyone make a lightweight cable security net for truck beds? Some kind of netting that can't be cut with a knife? Really don't want to put permanant roll top or hard shell on Tacoma.

Thanks in advance.

Jaime

Neat idea. I have seen them for back packs but never truck beds.

I used lockable plastic boxes that I chained or cable locked to the bed then I went with a folding bed cover. Backflip.

Apart from concealment, They are really just an honest mans lock. I could pop my backflip with a screwdriver.

Any thief worth their salt will have bolt cutters that could handle cable locks and wire nets.

I understand your sentiment and considered all truck owners with traditional tonneau covers to be idiots...until i saw the BAKFlip cover. Promptly did a 180 and put one on my truck. Gotta tell ya, I love the damn thing. My truck has a huge trunk now that automatically locks. A thief would have to know something valuable is in the bed to justify trying to break into it. If they are willing to risk that then nothing you do will dissuade em. They'll bust a window to get to your stuff too so locking things up in your cab isn't anymore secure. BAKFlip just plain works.

[video=youtube;ivw0oLBVC_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivw0oLBVC_0[/video]

Completely removable in seconds without aid from another person. They make different models, the MX4 is top of the line. All the benefits of a tonneau without the disadvantages. My bed was dry after two days in the rain.

Last edited:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone make a lightweight cable security net for truck beds? Some kind of netting that can't be cut with a knife? Really don't want to put permanant roll top or hard shell on Tacoma.

Thanks in advance.

Jaime

You are correct in not wanting a roll top. I had one on my Tacoma. Bought the top line aluminum model from our local dealer. After just over a year it was no longer waterproof, didn't seal at the back. Then eventually would simply flap around and not seal at all. The backflip ones Bruce is talking about mare fairly good. We have them on a couple of managers trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I understand your sentiment and considered all truck owners with traditional tonneau covers to be idiots...until i saw the BAKFlip cover. Promptly did a 180 and put one on my truck. Gotta tell ya, I love the damn thing. My truck has a huge trunk now that automatically locks. A thief would have to know something valuable is in the bed to justify trying to break into it. If they are willing to risk that then nothing you do will dissuade em. They'll bust a window to get to your stuff too so locking things up in your cab isn't anymore secure. BAKFlip just plain works.

[video=youtube;ivw0oLBVC_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivw0oLBVC_0[/video]

Completely removable in seconds without aid from another person. They make different models, the MX4 is top of the line. All the benefits of a tonneau without the disadvantages. My bed was dry after two days in the rain.

Gator FX is just as good and cheaper.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using this one on my truck since 2010:
TruXedo TruXport Tonneau, TruXedo Tonneau Covers

Less than $250 and keeps things out of sight out of mind, which in my opinion is the best you can hope for against determined theives.

Rolls out of the way in seconds so I can use my truck like a truck was meant to be used and haul a snowmachine or wheeler around. Most importantly it keeps my gear under it dry and dust free even on dusty gravel roads which is worth it right there IMO. 15 mins to install initially and then after that if you want to use your whole bed and haul big bulky items like ATVs or furniture its literally less than 10 seconds to roll it up.

Yes all its takes is a sharp knife to rip into it I realize but I am more or less going for keeping things in my bed dry and clean and out of sight.

Gator FX is just as good and cheaper.

I looked at the gator just now and their site functions identically to the BAKFlip site's ordering process suggesting to me that it is the same product marketed under a different label. There was a $30 difference in price however, the specs and warranty on the BAKFlip MX4 was greater. Handles 100lbs more and a year longer warranty soooo....

Yankee

FNG
I second a solid tonneau cover. I have one on my Tundra and I like the "out of site, out of mind" philosophy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Diamondback. It's awesome and I can remove it in about 10 minutes. Most people would look at it as too much work to get inside. I have found no other like it.

TXCO

WKR
I use a rollnlock and love it. More expensive but well worth it considering the value if gear in my truck when I travel

I have a Diamondback. It's awesome and I can remove it in about 10 minutes. Most people would look at it as too much work to get inside. I have found no other like it.

I considered the DiamondBack HD Tonneau Cover but the limited access to the bed (compared to the BAKFlip design) turned me off and the price tag was $1900. but I am curious what that darn thing weighs. Do you know?

dotman

WKR
I looked at the gator just now and their site functions identically to the BAKFlip site's ordering process suggesting to me that it is the same product marketed under a different label. There was a $30 difference in price however, the specs and warranty on the BAKFlip MX4 was greater. Handles 100lbs more and a year longer warranty soooo....

Ha, kind of funny, same guy is in the pictures of both covers. I see $100 price diff, not sure why anyone would put 300 or 400lbs on one.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
A camper shell on the tacoma can be fitted with clamps to the rail and quick disconnects for the lights. You will have security and waterproofness. I know you said no camper shell but 2 people can take it off in minutes.

I think it better to hide things than try to lock them up. If someone really wants it, they will find a way.