Truck bed sleeping situations?

Dunndm

WKR
Just curious what you guys out there do when the weather holds up well enough, or not well enough and you sleep in your truck bed. Recently got a new truck and I’m not putting a camper shell on it, putting a tonneau cover on it. Anyone got any ideas or pictures of what you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanket, Sleeping pad, and sleeping bag slept under tonneau cover a bunch. It's not bad really.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR

One of these and I can sleep under the pickup if it rains. If not I just sleep next to it. Never gotten cold during early season hunts with a pad and bag.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR

One of these and I can sleep under the pickup if it rains. If not I just sleep next to it. Never gotten cold during early season hunts with a pad and bag.

I like the idea of being off the bed a little for warmth purposes

Reactions: CCH
I do have a shell on my truck and sleep in it quite often. I have a Cabela’s inflatable sleeping pad I mostly use and my old 0* bag.
I’ve tried without a pad and the bed ribs kept me up. My wife also bought me an air mattress which fills up the bed which is cool, but I’m usually duck hunting so I need the space and it’s not practical to take up the whole bed.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I do have a shell on my truck and sleep in it quite often. I have a Cabela’s inflatable sleeping pad I mostly use and my old 0* bag.
I’ve tried without a pad and the bed ribs kept me up. My wife also bought me an air mattress which fills up the bed which is cool, but I’m usually duck hunting so I need the space and it’s not practical to take up the whole bed.

That’s my problems with the whole blow up mattress in the back. I usually go out by myself for a few days ao I need the extra space for coolers etc

Titan_Bow

WKR
i'm going to be giving up my Xterra soon and going to go with another pickup. I'm seriously considering something like this pop up shell. Seems like this would be the ticket for camping out of the back of the truck!

https://gofastcampers.com/

I’ve slept in mine quite a bit with and without a cap on it.
Plywood helps to level it if using a cot and act as a thermal barrier if using a pad.
Gray pvc pipe to make bows, a tarp to cover it and some bungee straps and duct tape to hold it together makes a pretty quick, effective, low cost truck shelter. I did a 2 month trapping trip in ME with this set up and it was pretty comfortable.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
i'm going to be giving up my Xterra soon and going to go with another pickup. I'm seriously considering something like this pop up shell. Seems like this would be the ticket for camping out of the back of the truck!

https://gofastcampers.com/

This is an amazing idea... just when not using it where to put it is the problem

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I’ve slept in mine quite a bit with and without a cap on it.
Plywood helps to level it if using a cot and act as a thermal barrier if using a pad.
Gray pvc pipe to make bows, a tarp to cover it and some bungee straps and duct tape to hold it together makes a pretty quick, effective, low cost truck shelter. I did a 2 month trapping trip in ME with this set up and it was pretty comfortable.

I was looking into something like this actually, try and make it easily foldable/easy up

11boo

WKR
I did it a bunch when I was doing electrical work in Aspen.

Totally cheeped out, Pad/bag/quilt in the back with a tarp handy. Not too bad. If I had time I put the tarp up and backed the truck under it.

I’d reconsider the camper shell. I’ve got one and a “Bedrug”. I keep a Canvas cutter bed roll and sleeping bag in there. I’ve slept in it A LOT. Between the shell, the 1” of foam and the carpet from the Bedrug, the bed roll and bag. It quite cozy. Even when it’s super cold. The shell is also lined with carpet on top.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
This is an amazing idea... just when not using it where to put it is the problem

Lift it straight out of the bed with chains up to a mount on the ceiling of the garage. Best way to store all of the overlanding stuff imho.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Lift it straight out of the bed with chains up to a mount on the ceiling of the garage. Best way to store all of the overlanding stuff imho.

Having a garage.... in California.... Hahahahah if only. In a apartment right now so it’s out of the question for me sadly

Usually, it's Leinies! This set up worked well in Colorado this year. Threw some 2" foam on top of the plywood. Plenty of storage.