Truck bed sleeping situations?

9f9aaf3ef0c7103aff8060223cbb82f9.jpg

This is home tonight in the refuge parking lot. There’s something to be said about keeping it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on the shorter side, but have slept many nights across the back seat. I leave my sleeping bag set up and it’s a mobile sleep setup - just sleep where I end up.

Having said that, it’s not the most comfortable and I sleep better when I set up my shelter. I’m liking some of the quick truck bed ideas.

Height can be limited however I have been satisfied with my Decked Draw system to accommodate gear in the back and I just sleep on a air mattress on top of that. It helps to create a flatter surface over the wheel wells.

I put little rv levels on my dashboard and door when I camped in my van. That way I could get pretty level without getting out of the drivers seat. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding a flat spot.

Similar concept to Decked Drawer system mentioned above, I have seen several versions of a home-built raised sleeping platform with storage underneath. Plastic tubs are often used for gear, but some people build elaborate pull out drawers like Decked Drawer commercial system. Benefit is you don't have to unpack all your gear every time to sleep in bed. Plus it also helps hide your gear in a parking lot. ( not my truck, just an example that google found for me)

Sleeper.jpg

I have a freestanding REI 2-man tent that fits in my truck bed when the tailgate is down and toneau cover is rolled up. I just throw a mattress pad in there and it’s super comfortable.

Only issue is the zip doors are on the sides, but it’s not been an issue as I can still get in the tent easily.

This is how I “camp” on the coast during late Spring and Summer. I don’t pitch my tent in the sand - keep it up in the truck bed.

Kodiak Canvas makes a pretty slick truck bed tent, but it requires you to clamp rails and the tent to the truck bed. Not a big deal, but requires more time to put it up and take it down. The canvas tent is also warmer in the Winter if thats important.

I’ve also seen these air mattresses that fit in the backseat of a truck that look interesting, but I have zero experience with them:

8437EF4B-3B8E-4EEA-BB84-D756617F2B42.jpeg

Good luck!

Last edited:

MeatBuck

WKR
I have an old 4runner and run a cot in the back when I'm alone. Just has a pad and bag covered with canvas and tarp to keep clean during travel. Gun goes ontop of it to keep scope from being dicked up during travel. Plenty of room for icebox and cook box along side of it and I put a food box (Rubbermaid with wheels) under the foot of cot. Anything else that will fit(lantern,extra tarp,rain gear) goes under the head of the cot. Passenger seat holds hunting pack and binos. Pass floor usually has boots or shoes and other things I need to reach while driving. Behind seats is camp stove, tarps, straps, rope, jacket, etc.
Front bumper has a rack in the receiver for a fuel can, trash bag and water jug(things I don't want to leak or smell while driving). Waters for washing hands, dishes and teeth brushing. Also when setup I put stove on the rack for cooking.
The icebox and cook box go under the truck when sleeping. I use the icebox as a step to get in and out as well.
When traveling I can stop and drop the tailgate, slide the icebox and food box onto the tailgate and make a lunch quickly.

When I'm with the ol lady I put a wood platform in the back with 3 wheeled Rubbermaids underneath, 2 with clothes and one with food. Bedding is carpet, a mattress topper, and each of us get our own pad. Sleeping bags with a canvas and cheap blue tarp over them. The canvas and tarp is for warmth as well as for keeping the bedding clean and dust free while traveling. Also while traveling we keep our hunting packs on the head of the bed just behind the headrests of the seats for easy access. Guns go between them or along side depending on if I put them in from the back or front or slide them through the side windows.
Bedding folds over so Icebox and cook box can go on the foot of the bed while traveling. Again making a tailgate lunch stop quick and easy.
The worst thing about it is headroom when getting in and out and dressing on cold mornings. Other than that, set up and tear down is as easy as putting away the cook station, loading the boxes back in and strapping the gear back on the rack.

KSK

FNG
F150 with 6.5' box and Topper. I have a storage cabinet with drawers to fit the box. We use Thermarest Neoair Xtherm pads and sleeping bags on top of the cabinet. Works well.

sasquatch

WKR
The Foot-box is great for extending a short bed so you can fit

elkduds

WKR
IMG_1228.JPGIMG_1229.JPG
Issue: My 6' body, 5' bed on my Ridgeline w topper. Tried the diagonal, feet were against tailgate, 0 room on either side for cooler, lantern. Topper is cab height, pretty short.
Solution: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BYA10F4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details
<5 min install w gate down and topper door up, using only bungies. Current cot is Thermarest Mesh, may change to mattress on truck bed.

Anyone using a 3 fold mattress for this? Which do you prefer? Don't want memory foam, too stiff when cold.

Cali, I like your use of pop-up shelter behind truck.

Finn16

WKR
My last truck was a 2008 Silverado with a topper. I started out with foam and a pad on the bed and then went to an Oztent Gecko Stretcher (cot). I liked the cot way better than the pad on the truck bed floor. I've since bought a Ram 1500 and the bed is a smidge shorter than the Chevy and the cot is an inch too long. My current plan is the build a wood bed frame and put a Milliard 6 " thick tri-fold mattress on top. It is 31 " wide and 75 " long. It has excellent reviews on Amazon. They make a 4 " thick model also l but I think the 6 inch will be warmer and more comfortable. It is an inch longer than my bed but being it's foam I think it will fit. Anyone have one of these?

sasquatch

WKR
Look into “foot-box”. It’s a nice little bed extender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro