Truck bed sleeping situations?

CorbLand

WKR
If I did more camping from the pickup I would seriously give canvas cutters a look.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve spent a few nights in mine with a tonneau. I usually roll the cover back a little so I have sky above me and it’s not too tomb like. I’ve always just rolled out my thickest air pad and sleeping bag. Only thing that has made it difficult was nearby bugles a time or two keeping me up

fmyth

WKR
i'm going to be giving up my Xterra soon and going to go with another pickup. I'm seriously considering something like this pop up shell. Seems like this would be the ticket for camping out of the back of the truck!

https://gofastcampers.com/
I looked at the GoFast Campers but ended up purchasing an AT Habitat.

Attachments

• 20191211_163136.jpg
    20191211_163136.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 228
  • ramrebelhabitat.jpg
    ramrebelhabitat.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 224
I got a feeling someone has already thought of this so figured I’d ask. do any of you have a clever method of adding some type of heat to the bed camping idea? Not that it’s necessary but if you get a cold snap a little warmth a night never hurt

noroads

FNG
For heat you could use a ceramic propane heater, no toxic fumes or an electric blanket. I have two outlets in the back of my truck.

I love the camper shell and use an Airbedz mattress with a foam top pad. Best sleep I have when hunting. I set up my my bed with sheets an blankets and then deflate the mattress and role it to the front of the bed like a big burrito. Then I load the ice chests and totes and gear into the back everything fits easily. Once at camp, I unload the totes and gear and inflate the Airbedz and have everything setup in under 5min.

Super comfortable and very fast and mobile to up and move when needed.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only used the truck bed during the summer. Slept terribly due to lack of airflow under the tonneau, plus I rigged some stupid net for mosquitoes. I’ve learned a tent is better. It’s easy enough to pop it up in a few quick minutes.

mtnkid85

WKR
I sleep under a topper on a memory foam twin mattress with blankets. Sleep like a baby.
When Im in there by my self I can fit my kitchen and gear tupperware bins in next to me/at my feet.
If two of us are in there then the gear bins go under the truck or in the cab.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I looked at the GoFast Campers but ended up purchasing an AT Habitat.

That is a sweet set up! I wish, so much I just had a place to put it when not in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a regular rtt like the ones from Smittybuilt or even the one man tent cot combo from Kodiak canvas or one from Cabela'sIMG_20191020_161403691_HDR.jpg

If I remember correctly it folds down to about the size of an old school lawn chair but about 9 inches thick...so like 3 foot by 3 foot by 9 inches or so thick..I think Cabela's has the specs online

MtnOyster

WKR
I’ve slept in mine several times with a cabelas air mattress and 15 degree sleeping bag and I stay fairly comfortable, my worst problem at 6’3” I have to sleep corner to corner in the truck bed.
one of the most comfortable things I do is set up a portable canopy behind the truck then attach it and the truck with a tarp so I can climb out of the back and not worry about rain or snow, I set it up like that on solo trips and it keeps me pretty mobile if I need to pack up and move.
2055D2C4-1136-4310-8222-409C33D54860.jpeg

264win

WKR
With a shell, a good air mattress and sleeping bag is great. I sleep in mine 20-30 nights every year.
Without a shell an instant tent makes a lot more sense than any of the high $ truck tents, tarps or tonneau covers imho.

It's their two man deluxe tent cot, I will be there tomorrow afternoon killing time at work I can get the specifics for u then

Last edited:
527f10516fc5a0a5d557ebb3202b1bc6.jpg

This thing is super comfy. It allows me to keep gear under the cap and sleep on the top.