Truck bed sleeping situations?

The topper is a Ranch and has a very strong honey comb spine. I bought a Rhino Rack and mounted it to the rhino rack. No issues, I've had myself (200lbs) my wife and kid (160lbs total) up there at the same time.

mulecreek

FNG
I have an ARE topper and I put a regular twin mattress in the bed. Its only 6 inches thick. Coolers, totes and packs sit on top of the mattress for the ride then come out and on the ground while I sleep on a real mattress under an quilt with real pillows like a baby. Works great for pronghorn hunts where I like to spend a lot of time checking out new areas. In 5 minutes I have all the totes and coolers out and a bed made. Same 5 minutes to break down camp. This is almost entirely my camp unless I am packing in or staying at my cabin. Works great for me and my sons.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I might be odd one out but with the rear seats folded up in my crew cab the floor is very comfy. The trans tunnel is raised maybe 1-1/2" but if I actually planned I lay a piece of plywood down to create a perfectly level surface in the cab. Also for the bed of the truck bed horse stall mat (in my case rubber from gym floor) is awesome to hide the coregations of the bed. I shoot from my bed a lot an that has been my favorite thing since my cheapo roll up bed cover for $170.

jeffpg

WKR
I've been sleeping in my truck bed with a camper shell while on hunts for a long time. I'm currently set up with a nice Leer in my Chevy Duramax. It has lights, usb ports, clothes hangers and a cargo net. I have done many one and two week hunts from my truck and spent 5 1/2 weeks straight in it while setting up and hunting a new lease in west Texas a few years ago. Had a cabin tent set up for cooking and dressing, etc. and only slept in the truck bed. I build a bed that is super comfortable and it's very snug and dry in there no matter what the weather is outside. I have used various sleeping bags but currently have the Western Hunter sleep system and it is awesome. I often pull over on multiple day drives and crash in the truck bed at a safe place, accompanied by my 10mm Glock of course.

26847212a78a5c15c97f3d0c9e23c320.jpg

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
How long does it take to put up and down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 5 to 10 mins. Not hard at all. First time took a bit longer as I figured it our and adjusted everything. After that, 5 to 10 mins, max. For my quick trips, this works best for me. Can then get everything under the tonneau cover for some security and prevent wind damage while driving.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for truck bed sleeping options as well. Looking to get a trifold queen size memory foam and durable slip cover. As I learned on rokslide, I can fold that bed against the cab of the truck to store and load all my other gear behind it towards the tailgate. I have a slumber jack canopy that attaches to my topper and secured at the wheels. Extends out and uses poles to stand the other end up. Unload my gear (in totes) and store under the canopy. Very last thing would be to unfold the bed and finish making camp.

I love the look and idea of a tent on top of a truck topper but I don’t see myself climbing down every time I have to use the bathroom. I have a F250 with 6’9” bed that will be plenty big enough for 2 people to sleep in.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kodiak Canvas Truck Tent which is pretty cool, takes about 15 minutes to set up once you figure it out, take down is about 10 minutes. On a Tacoma it's a little tricky due to the bed rails and having to use C-clamps but once I figured it out it's pretty simple. It's not meant for driving with it set up but I've done it some up to about 20 mph with no problems, as long as you keep it relatively slow it's fine.

1102191627.jpg

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
These are all really good ideas, I’m leaning towards the tent or that cot/tent combo. I like the cot cause it’s super easy up and down and you can be on the move in a minute. But the tent, and some good planning for a pad/cot inside would be much more comfortable

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
These are all really good ideas, I’m leaning towards the tent or that cot/tent combo. I like the cot cause it’s super easy up and down and you can be on the move in a minute. But the tent, and some good planning for a pad/cot inside would be much more comfortable

If you do the cot tent I'd recommend finding one like the Cabelas double cot with a raised roof, it takes up a bit more space but I was really cramped in the single cot with the flat roof. My buddy has the double size with raised roof and it's way easier to get comfortable and move around in. They really are easy to set up and take down for quick movements.