Truck bed tents?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use these? Mainly interested in the one from Kodiak canvas. Are they practical? Or are they to much of a pain to set up and take down constantly. Any feedback by users would be nice. I’m considering one. I’d like to camp in the back of the truck more, but don’t want to spring for a canopy, only to be used about 2 months of the year. I was also thinking of getting a canvas cutter and hoping for the best when it comes to weather.

jolemons

WKR
I love my canvas cutter for truck bed use. The new full length pole setup along with mosquito netting make them appear like a legit all season shelter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just don’t get the idea unless you’re truck is not moving and then I don’t know why you wouldn’t get a regular tent. Having to take it down every time you drive somewhere and then emptying and reloading your gear...

I’d lean more towards a Bestop or Softopper instead if you’re dead set on sleeping in the truck but don’t want a hard shell.

I just don’t get the idea unless you’re truck is not moving and then I don’t know why you wouldn’t get a regular tent. Having to take it down every time you drive somewhere and then emptying and reloading your gear...

I’d lean more towards a Bestop or Softopper instead if you’re dead set on sleeping in the truck but don’t want a hard shell.

There are many reasons. I got stuck on a snowy nonroad that was very isolated one night. I didn't have to dig myself out that night, I just grabbed the small duffle, pitched the truck tend in 12 minutes and settled in. Plow came by the next morning and I was out. It's affordable and I can stand up in it. If I decide to move, I don't always hafta tear it down (which takes a few minutes) unless there's a problem with verticle clearance.

Ranches I do ADC work on and/or backcountry camping/fishing/hunting...I can move from place to place with the tent up. If it's hot I can cool the tent with the trucks A/C or warm it up using the heater thru the rear window of the cab. It's a very affordable option that keeps me off the ground and outta the muck.

I can pitch it at the trailhead on the night before the opener and then pack it up and toss in the truck for a week while I'm backpackin' to fish and/or hunt. Been using it for ages with different trucks.

0610or_01_z+Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_Hemi_Challenger+sand_front_view.jpg59285390_10218742199167181_2032968631498833920_n.jpgkodiaktrucktentduffel.JPG
trucktent.jpgcamp.jpgIMGP3190.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I guess my main concern is having to take it down to move camp or having to use the truck while in the bush. So I take it, it doesn’t have to be completely taken down to drive at slower speeds? I’m have to watch that video.

The trick to driving with it up is to make sure the tent is perfectly centered on the bed and then well cinched down. I do not use the plastic clips to attached the straps to the truck, I loop the straps around the wheel wells so they cannot come loose. You can kinda see how I do it if you freeze the video. Those plastic hooks get brittle over time and will fail eventully...I don't bother using them. A Bedrug provides insulation and padding and just makes the truck tent so much cozier. I had a 3" thick closed foam mattress made for mine which worked out pretty well but you can use any pad you like. Just don't use one of these, unless you wanna freeze.

Attachments

• truck_bedz_hero.jpg
    truck_bedz_hero.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 13