Truck Breaking Down in the Backcountry

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I drive a Land Cruiser so I have never had to use any of this stuff, but I carry a charged NOKO jump pack, Lug wrench, compressor, tire plug kit, fire extinguisher and enough tools to handle field repairs. I also have a decent knowledge of how a vehicle works. But even so I always have a plan in case I am stranded like in the Chihuahua desert in the summer. I do carry a Garmin inreach so I feel pretty comfortable out there.

I drive a Land Cruiser so I have never had to use any of this stuff, but I carry a charged NOKO jump pack, Lug wrench, compressor, tire plug kit, fire extinguisher and enough tools to handle field repairs. I also have a decent knowledge of how a vehicle works. But even so I always have a plan in case I am stranded like in the Chihuahua desert in the summer. I do carry a Garmin inreach so I feel pretty comfortable out there.
I think that's a good list.

Obviously can change a tire, but need to carry and learn to use plugs or some other form of patch kit.

Have a battery jumper, pretty neat little gizmo. Tow straps x2, chains, fuzes, multimeter, basic tools/ratchet set, extra quart of oil, 2 gallons of gas, zip ties, duct tape, and a Garmin InReach. Believe or not I've used that multimeter a couple times helping other motorists or farmers/ranchers.

cnelk

WKR
Im surprised no one has mentioned a spare set of keys for their vehicle. Man, that is way up on the list in my truck.

So many guys I know dont have a spare set hidden on their truck

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Im surprised no one has mentioned a spare set of keys for their vehicle. Man, that is way up on the list in my truck.

I have one hidden, just forgot to mention, I agree very important.

Roll Starting manual vehicles is certainly an advantage in some very specific "last ditch effort" scenarios, but the conditions also need to be ideal. Either you need to be parked on an incline, or have enough people or another vehicle to push, and if there's another vehicle - why not just jump start it? Since it is a last resort due to having a dead battery, it's easier to have a battery booster pack and jumper cables. I used to love manuals, but then I became an adult and now I like drinking coffee without having to shift.

Off course nobody mentions that! NOBODY wants SOMEBODY ELSE to find that key at the trailhead!

I'm not gonna tell you that I have one on my rig.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
My hunting rig is a 34 year old Suzuki Samurai. I have had this one since around 2005. It has only failed to get me home once and then it was a few blocks from home and I spun a crank bearing after the cam journal took a crap and I lost oil pressure. I beat the vrap out of this poor old thing but it keeps going. A few of the things that have happened and been over come are;
Broken rear leaf spring on a serious offroad trail. Sucked it back together and held it with a ratchet strap.
Lost a motor mount ( gone not broke). Again held with a ratchet strap and drove home.
Broken rear u joint. Removed the shaft and continued hunting with the front wheel drive Samurai.
Broken transfer case mount. Held it up with a rope.
Have pulled and soldered up the radiator in the woods a couple of times until I could get a new one in after hunting season.
Broken gas pedal. Drove home with a piece of paracord tied to the end of the throttle cable for a hand throttle.
I'm sure there is a lot more but those I can think of. Point is it's good to be able to work on your vehicle and be able to improvise.

dtrkyman

WKR
I keep a jump starter, cables some tools, always duct tape and some straps, including a tow strap. Been fortunate not to get stranded.

Had a cheapo compressor get me to a town not far from where I punched a hole in a tire once, need to get another one.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't read all the replies, but have had stuff happen out in the mountains. This year the hydroboost started leaking, but it looked like the transmission (fluid all over the trans lines and it was trans fluid). Luckily we got out and back to town ok without incident. Was concerned we'd loose power brakes given we were toying a toy hauler. Got the hydroboost replaced by a local dealer and ended up having brake issues the next weekend, again while towing the camper. Brakes locked up and the Cummins could not move the truck. I ended up figuring it out...they forgot to put a plate back between the hydrobooster unit and master cylinder. Was able to fix it out in the field with basic tools, but shouldn't have had to.
Taking two vehicles is usually our approach. Sure, costs more in fuel, but then we have a back up just in case. We're often well out of cell service. I worry about the SXS or ATV not starting or breaking down, getting a flat, etc. Again, we usually travel in pairs, or at least know where everyone is going for the day so if someone doesn't show up, we know where to look. We use the SXS/ATV's to travel from camp to hunting spots and can get 15+ miles away from camp, easily. These machines also serve as a safety vehicle if we only take one truck...we can always ride out and get help.
Basic tools (sockets, wrenches, etc) are always with us. Can't fix everything, but we try to travel prepared. Being handy with the tools is important, seems to be a lost skill these days to diagnose and repair stuff in the field. I hate the electrical tech packed in vehicles for this reason.

Mosby

WKR
Like a lot of people, I carry a lot of stuff in my truck. I travel by myself a lot and like everybody else, I like to be self sufficient. That said, one of the things I do before a trip is identify tow companies in the area that will go off-road and pull me out. I try to call them in advance, make sure there in business and verify if they will come where I am going.I keep the names and numbers in my truck. Sometimes it can't be fixed(or I can't) and I like having solutions when its getting dark and my truck isn't moving.

Also AAA membership. If you travel for hunting, AAA is about the best bargain out there for not only towing but hotel room discounts. When my car broke down a few years ago outside of Denver coming back from a scouting trip, AAA dropped me off at the nearest hotel and towed my car to the dealership. Free of charge. Beats standing by the highway trying to figure out who to call and worrying about the cost.

Tow services are every bit as valuable as the tools in my truck IMO.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In neither case was anybody interested in coming to look at the broke vehicle in the field. Getting towed was questionable. But both repairs were beyond field fixing with duct tape.
If I'm driving a truck that's six months old, I'm not paying a damn penny for repairs, and I'd be knee deep in someone for the towing bill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I drive a Ford...I hide my keys in my truck and lock it up evetytime I go hunting..no spares needed and they are always were I left them.
I driven out with just a front DS working, another time without a clutch, multiply time with new plugs in all 4 tires...be prepared and keep calm...you can figure it out.

Mattys010

FNG
A lot of good ideas here. Very smart to get to know your vehicle by doing the maintenance. Also keep an old set of wiper blades under the back seat, when one breaks or tears it is very helpful.

.280AI

FNG
I’ll add fuel filter had that fail 60 miles from the nearest part store. Had just changed it 1000 miles earlier and probably got some bad fuel not fun with reduced power pulling a trailer. Buddy had to bring me a new one.

fmyth

WKR
Didn't read all the replies, but have had stuff happen out in the mountains. This year the hydroboost started leaking, but it looked like the transmission (fluid all over the trans lines and it was trans fluid). Luckily we got out and back to town ok without incident. Was concerned we'd loose power brakes given we were toying a toy hauler. Got the hydroboost replaced by a local dealer and ended up having brake issues the next weekend, again while towing the camper. Brakes locked up and the Cummins could not move the truck. I ended up figuring it out...they forgot to put a plate back between the hydrobooster unit and master cylinder. Was able to fix it out in the field with basic tools, but shouldn't have had to.
Taking two vehicles is usually our approach. Sure, costs more in fuel, but then we have a back up just in case. We're often well out of cell service. I worry about the SXS or ATV not starting or breaking down, getting a flat, etc. Again, we usually travel in pairs, or at least know where everyone is going for the day so if someone doesn't show up, we know where to look. We use the SXS/ATV's to travel from camp to hunting spots and can get 15+ miles away from camp, easily. These machines also serve as a safety vehicle if we only take one truck...we can always ride out and get help.
Basic tools (sockets, wrenches, etc) are always with us. Can't fix everything, but we try to travel prepared. Being handy with the tools is important, seems to be a lost skill these days to diagnose and repair stuff in the field. I hate the electrical tech packed in vehicles for this reason.
I am glad you brought up the sxs. They can carry you much farther from camp than you'd care to walk back. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs on my sxs so that I am confident that I can make repairs on the trail. I carry a small pelican style case (Harbor Fraught Apache) in my sxs w the following: fuses, misc wire, crimp connectors, safety wire, zip ties, fuel hose, hose clamps, aluma seal, jb weld, tire plug kit, wheel bearing, ball joint, tie rod end, 2 lug nuts, fuel filter, silcone rescue tape, fuel pump, bag of misc nuts bolts screws. I also carry 2 dry bags with tools, quart of oil, jack, 4' of clear hose, jump box, tow strap, wd 40, carb cleaner. In the bed I carry a spare tire, spare belt, small shovel, folding saw and small air compressor. All of my friends poke fun at my "preparedness". I've helped 2 other hunters get back to camp. One w a flat and no jack and one that ran out of gas. I was also able to fix my sxs 2 years ago at night in the rain when the fuel pump went out. Would have been a really long 8 mile walk back to camp in the dark and rain. The guys w no jack were so thankful they shared their remaining food w us (we overstayed and were running out) then gave us their honey hole where my partner killed a nice cow elk. They now meet up with us each year we draw and camp with us.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I don't drive a manual transmission these days, but it was an amazing feeling back in the day to get the car moving, pop it into 2nd gear and drive away. Exhilarating!

Always have spare key somewhere. Also to the guys who get dead batteries or disconnect batteries to avoid dead batteries....know how to disarm your vehicles security system if it decides to freak out after loss of battery connection. And if your vehicle has aftermarket remote start/keyless entry or aftermarket security system, get that junk removed properly.

Spare tire and all of the tools to change is obvious, but having a plug kit (and being familiar with using it) and compressor can fix most problems.

Also, make sure that spare key will start and run your vehicle

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to love manuals, but then I became an adult and now I like drinking coffee without having to shift.
I drink a LOT of coffee without having to shift. Drink between shifts, use both hands, steer with your leg........do what you gotta do. The real problem is drinking coffee without having to pee. That one is hard to overcome.