Truck build

Sturgies

FNG
I have a 06 extended cab silverado and never use the backseat. I took it out and man it feels like there's some untapped potential for storage/build out much like people do to the bed of their truck with a topper. My dog loves the extra space and think it could really be useful. Its my daily and road trip vehicle, no plans to ever need to haul people. Truck bed already has a bench and sleeping area build out

Anyone ever build out the backseat of their truck? Plenty of info and how to videos on doing the bed with a topper.

Geewhiz

WKR
Do it and show us photos along the way. How wide is it? Long enough to completely stretch out? Are you thinking for sleeping in or just storage?

OP
Sturgies

Sturgies

FNG
Do it and show us photos along the way. How wide is it? Long enough to completely stretch out? Are you thinking for sleeping in or just storage?
I'm leaning storage as I made a nice elevated sleeping platform last year. Thinking dedicated space for roadside needs/tools like an air compressor, jack, tools, tow strap ect. The platform in the bed fits a memory foam tri-fold mattress and 3 storage bins underneath

Geewhiz

WKR
If you don't need the space for seating, I say go for it. Cool idea for keeping things organized and out of the elements while maintaining your bed space in the back.

It’s to bad they back doors arnt built like the new F150 extended cabs which had the back doors on like double hinges so they fold all the way back to the bed. Still a neat idea to have extra storage or dog space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
There is a guy I saw on YouTube, think his channel was called Mav or something like that. He has an F150 that he put a camp chef dresser in the back seat as well as a portable fridge. He does a lot of truck camping and fishing trips and sleeps in the bed of the truck.

OP
Sturgies

Sturgies

FNG
Good input, I'll check out goose gear and that youtube channel.

Keep the ideas coming!

It’s to bad they back doors arnt built like the new F150 extended cabs which had the back doors on like double hinges so they fold all the way back to the bed. Still a neat idea to have extra storage or dog space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing fancy but i did remove one of my back seats in my 2018 f150 and put a carhartt dog bed for my 90lb German shepherd lol. She was crammed and i never have any one in the back anyway

You could do some googling around the guys in the hotshot trucking industry for ideas, they do alot of different things to those trucks. A lot of it might be geared towards crew cabs but you might get some ideas to scale down.

fmyth

WKR
I'm leaning storage as I made a nice elevated sleeping platform last year. Thinking dedicated space for roadside needs/tools like an air compressor, jack, tools, tow strap ect. The platform in the bed fits a memory foam tri-fold mattress and 3 storage bins underneath
I don't like to keep heavy items like jacks, air compressors etc in the cab in case of an accident. Google "hotshot sleepers" and you'll find all kinds of info on converting the back seat to a sleeper or Google "overland truck build out" and you'll find info on 12v fridges etc.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with fmyth. I wouldn’t want anything heavy flying around the cab if you ever rolled. You could either bolt everything down securely or build a cage divider to separate the front and back.

OP
Sturgies

Sturgies

FNG
I agree with fmyth. I wouldn’t want anything heavy flying around the cab if you ever rolled. You could either bolt everything down securely or build a cage divider to separate the front and back.
Thanks for safety tips, good to have this kind of input. I had thoughts of creating a flat floor with plywood, and using the space underneath for this type of storage as my trucks floor has the raiders section for the transmission. Stuff I won't access often, but has a nice home.

I will look into utilizing the studs for the backseats for securing items properly