Truck campers

We've been noodling on getting a truck camper for a while. I like tent camping with my boys and it's a fair amount of work setting up. And, it doesn't work in the parking lot at the lake or at the ski hill. And, my wife's schedule at the hospital is now every weekend. So, it's my boys and I. They are 5 and 13.

Thinking about adding a used truck camper to make things a bit easier and more adventurous for the next few years. Plus, I could use it for hunting season when we base camp it at the truck, ski season to stay on the hill overnight, etc.

Our truck is a chevy 2500 diesel crew cab short bed. We need to still be able to tow our boat with the camper.

Would like to keep it under $5k which means a 15-20 year old unit.

1st decision is hard side or soft side pop-up. Brand new palomino campers are 12k or so which is tempting. Found a local northstar pop up for close to my budget. It's their version for a half ton truck so it's a little smaller than I'd like. But, it's 12 years old and northstar seems to have a decent rep among pop ups. Being lighter makes it easier to carry. I'm concerned a pop up will be too cold for the kids and the occasions my wife comes along.

So, anyone with experience?

Pop up longevity?

Pop up comfort in colder weather?

Pop up or hard side?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
For popups, you can easily make some wall insulation panels to setup/tear down super quick. May not be as effective as a hard side, but it will help a ton! The downside with hardsides is you never get rid of the giant sail. While they have alot of advantages, a soft side will let you get into most places that you could have gotten without a camper. Make sure you do a good inspection and as long as a little work doesnt scare you, you should be fine. If you can live withough a full bathroom they are pretty cheap and lightweight as well.

That said, I looked at truck campers alot but we ended up with a trailer. But I dont have a boat to pull so...

wyosteve

WKR
One comment- stay away from a Palomino which uses electric motors to raise the roof. Had one, nothing but trouble. Best day of my life was watching it leave the driveway on someone else's truck!

BluMtn

WKR
Look at lance. They build a line of campers that will fit your pickup. Being a short box you will be limited to size and weight. Look at the 845 or 861. You can get them with on board generators. I have not had a camper in a long time but my BIL is looking for one and he told me last night that these are a good unit.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some are made better than others. Four wheel campers / all terrain campers (some former employees of 4 wheel campers during one phase, 4 wheel campers has gone through a few ownership phases) are well known as simple yet robust aluminum frame campers. I have been running an incarnation of one for over a decade and they're awesome for run/gun hunting and trailheads. They aren't spacious like a trailer but they work for their purpose (dry, heated, can be prestocked with much of your gear). They're low profile so reduced drag and overhead clearnace.

The new ones are expensive fully finished. All terrain campers shell models are more affordable if wanting to finish out the interior yourself. But they last alot longer than other brands.

The older ones don't fit newer truck beds, I have a flatbed, but in terms of longevity I've got a 1986 that I just took off my truck this weekend as I'm moving houses, its nothing fancy, the sideliner is worn (but functional still) and the floor is finally rotting out (but still working in the meantime but it's going to tear apart soon if not replaced), that's a 34yr old camper. I demolished a 1982 one to use some portions as a donor as I'm building my own at the moment so just running the 1986 as is in the meantime.

Honestly the design is pretty basic (aluminum frame with aluminum siding and minimal wood to rot out) but generally works. For those willing to conform to the size and soft sided walls.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pop tops are cold, and you need to be able to dry it somewhere after using it in the rain or snow. If you don't have that sort of facility, enjoy your mildew!

We've been in -20F in them before and keeping it in the 60s inside, the vinyl sidewalls on some aren't very prone to mildew, you just pop up the camper when you get home and even if its raining just wait till there is a dry day/window that the sides are dry before dropping it down for longer storage.

I can't comment on pop ups. I was all about getting a four wheel camper when I started looking, and the more I looked, the more a hard side made sense. I'm in and out of mine all the time - kids or wife using the head, checking stuff, getting something for the kids, etc.. A pop up would be a pain in the ass for my use. Not to mention the cost.

I started into these with nothing to encumber me. I looked at what I wanted and bought the truck I needed and that fit my budget best. For me, it was a 7.3 dually crew cab 4x4. I found a cheap used camper ($900) that I like more and more every day - its a 1990's coachmen. I don't worry about it getting dirty or beat up, etc. In its day, it was about as big as you could get. I probably have $15k in the whole thing.

You'll be limited by the bed size and payload of the truck you have, so none of the above may apply. Also, I think you'll be limited in the number of older, cheaper short bed campers you'll find, as most of the older campers were built for long beds - short beds being a relatively recent hot-commodity...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't comment on pop ups. I was all about getting a four wheel camper when I started looking, and the more I looked, the more a hard side made sense. I'm in and out of mine all the time - kids or wife using the head, checking stuff, getting something for the kids, etc.. A pop up would be a pain in the ass for my use. Not to mention the cost.

Yes make sure you realize the pros AND CONS to running a pop up truck camper, they're not for everyone. They are fun for run/gun trips: less wind drag, less weight (usually), getting into rougher/tighter places, etc. I'm used to them and tailor my usage, for instance when solo I'll often not even bother popping up the top, I can fully sit up in the closed design and relax with less space to heat, more incognito, etc. and it doesn't bother me the top is down as I hang out alone for the night. But at the same time its not ideal for casual campground camping with a family (I have 3 kids), if you put a bunch of stuff up on the counters you need to clear it off when collapsing to go somewhere (so also a pain in needing to run an errand). Now that I'm finally moving and have a house with a nice spot for a trailer I will likely pick one up in the coming year or two but in the foreseeable future I'm not gonna be without a popup truck camper as well. :)

Squamch

WKR
We've been in -20F in them before and keeping it in the 60s inside, the vinyl sidewalls on some aren't very prone to mildew, you just pop up the camper when you get home and even if its raining just wait till there is a dry day/window that the sides are dry before dropping it down for longer storage.

That would be practical in some places. Where I live, if I went on a hunt in september and it rained, it wouldn't be unreasonable to not expect 2 dry days in a row for several months. Pop ups are impractical here.

Just did the exact same thing you speak of. Didnt realize how hard it was going to be to to find a lightweight, short bed camper to fit a 3/4 ton diesel. Prob would have gotten a dually if i had known.
Long story short, truck was a garage queen with every accessory i could want. Lucked into a Northstar last weekend and couldnt be happier. Fantastic shape, light as heck, and waay under budget. I was worried that i wouldnt find one this season but it all panned out so far.

Good luck on your search.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That would be practical in some places. Where I live, if I went on a hunt in september and it rained, it wouldn't be unreasonable to not expect 2 dry days in a row for several months. Pop ups are impractical here.

I used to live in western washington, the vinyl sideliner ones don't take days to dry out on the outside (yes the canvas of other brands might), the inside can dry fine still when its wet out (if really worried a space heater and fan will speed things up) then as soon a partial day break in the weather lets the vinyl dry you can drop the top down. Yes its trickier in rainy land but not impractical either. That said pop-ups aren't for everyone and I fully acknowledge it.

OP
silverbullet555
Just did the exact same thing you speak of. Didnt realize how hard it was going to be to to find a lightweight, short bed camper to fit a 3/4 ton diesel. Prob would have gotten a dually if i had known.
Long story short, truck was a garage queen with every accessory i could want. Lucked into a Northstar last weekend and couldnt be happier. Fantastic shape, light as heck, and waay under budget. I was worried that i wouldnt find one this season but it all panned out so far.

Good luck on your search.
Jealous. The one I looked at sold the next day. Still too much in my opinion

Which one did you get?

Looking at an older shadow cruiser on good shape and light (700kg) and a hard side. Will depend on if they will come down in price.

Just trying to wait until the right unit at the right price.

I think it's a laredo (swear i saw that somewhere). Mine popped up an hour before i saw it and there was still someone going to see it before me! Told him i wanted it hands down and he called them to see how interested they were because i was willing to get there earlier. Apparently they backed out (or the whole thing was a ploy). Couldnt be happier ao far.
Maiden voyage this weekend. Battery was shot and the compartment allow a much smaller battery than i was expecting. Oh well.
Point being, lightweight campers for short beds that arent pop ups are like hens teeth. Cut-throat. as heck out there😁

I have a shell model from all terrain and absolutely love how simple and compact it is. It gets soaked inside after a week of camping in sub freezing temps for a week, but it dries out fine at home.

It's completely changed the way I hunt Deer in my home state.

OP
silverbullet555
I think it's a laredo (swear i saw that somewhere). Mine popped up an hour before i saw it and there was still someone going to see it before me! Told him i wanted it hands down and he called them to see how interested they were because i was willing to get there earlier. Apparently they backed out (or the whole thing was a ploy). Couldnt be happier ao far.
Maiden voyage this weekend. Battery was shot and the compartment allow a much smaller battery than i was expecting. Oh well.
Point being, lightweight campers for short beds that arent pop ups are like hens teeth. Cut-throat. as heck out there
Yes it is. I'm looking at the wrong time in some respects. Tons of people are upgrading which is good. Tons of people are buying the used ones which is basically. Trying hard to stay balanced. Missed a different camper yesterday. I'm guessing I should've bought that northstar. But, live and learn.

smith406

FNG
I would suggest you really inspect the roof on any older pop-up, but especially on one that uses a hecco lift system. That design is a gift that keeps on giving.

OP
silverbullet555
I would suggest you really inspect the roof on any older pop-up, but especially on one that uses a hecco lift system. That design is a gift that keeps on giving.
Thanks for the tip.

OP
silverbullet555
Found one. No leaks, within budget, no smells. Will need a new fridge if I want to run off propane.
1598ea34bac6658edb95dc336e2363d6.jpg
87407a957e75ad2c5ae65a246c7f1b9b.jpg
d46a2028b7d5a716fc4003c5674fec74.jpg