Truck campers

OP
silverbullet555
What's wrong with the fridge? Does it run off AC? If it runs off AC, then the propane issue is probably simple.
I don't know yet. It does run off AC according to the seller. I haven't gotten it home yet. I need to build a rack for my camper shell tonight if I can get to lowes this afternoon.

Then I will head over tomorrow to pick it up and bring it home to unload it, clean it and wait for truck accessories to arrive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
Nice find!! Where's your first destination?
Home. To clean and prep.

Then I'll probably take the boys to steck park to camp and fish for catfish. After that, it will probably be our weekebd lake home until hunting season starts. If all goes well, I'd like to go up to cascade and spend a weekend on that lake.

KNOPHISH

FNG
Those propane refers suck a lot of fuel. Depending on season I use mine like a cooler with a block of ice or generator when away from power. Save the gas for cooking and heating.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I recently decided to give the truck camper style of camping a go and love it. Took quite some time to find what I was looking for, but finally found a 1999 Hallmark UTE LX in great shape for a great price. The soft sides are insulated so should help a lot in the cold, and has helped in the heat (I installed a portable AC unit).

I can highly recommend torklift frame mounted tie down points. They are pricey but stout and very easy to use and install.

12e9e84abb32c6df6863d9b87500c456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Just sold my Lance 1121 after 13 years. The camper worked well. I will say that the truck camper is a great option for two people, but beyond that it is just too small. Going to a canvas tent and 1/2 ton now with a tow behind for the family camping. The Lance camper worked well. Solid brand.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We use a cab over camper and tow a trailer and boat like you mentioned wanting to do. I’d highly recommend the torklift super hitch. We can haul a 3 horse bumper pull trailer or small bumper pull stock trailer really nicely with it.

Just keep an eye on payload and tire ratings.

OP
silverbullet555
We use a cab over camper and tow a trailer and boat like you mentioned wanting to do. I’d highly recommend the torklift super hitch. We can haul a 3 horse bumper pull trailer or small bumper pull stock trailer really nicely with it.

Just keep an eye on payload and tire ratings.

That's what we are looking at. I need to measure the length of the bar I need to get the right one. Pricey suckers.

Tires are rated at 3750 per. Not much higher in a 16" tire.

Broomd

WKR
Have had many truck campers, seriously *a lot*.....
The hard sides are great, I've had three, but they are bulky and hard on gas.

I've had six different pop-us, this Starcraft Starblazer will be our last if I can help it...
Like new and I bought it for $1800, I wouldn't sell it for 4x's that, it's virtually irreplaceable.
GET THE FULL SIZED REAR DOOR. I've never had a mini-door unit nor would I ever.
The grey Tundra is the latest Starblazer setup....

Attachments

• IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3541.JPG
    DSCN3541.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 907192-R1-22-3 2.jpg
    907192-R1-22-3 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00087 4.jpg
    DSC00087 4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 48
We've been in -20F in them before and keeping it in the 60s inside, the vinyl sidewalls on some aren't very prone to mildew, you just pop up the camper when you get home and even if its raining just wait till there is a dry day/window that the sides are dry before dropping it down for longer storage.
I'm very interested in a fwc/atc for ice fishing trips at Antero, Grandby, etc. Are you keeping it 60s with the top up or down? Do you have an insulated "cover" for the soft sides? Condensation? Is it comfortable or acceptable (asking from wife/kids perspective)?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That trip was in my buddies grandby when an inversion hit near steamboat, it was top up. We back off the temp at night to mid 40s since we have warm enough sleeping bags. We were hunting in snow so between us breathing and thawing/drying gear yes there is condensation but not like its raining inside or anything, sure as hell was more comfortable in there than outside! He's actually overhauling that one for winter use as a primary focus (they have a trailer for family summer camping now) and resided it removing all windows. He doesn't have an insulated cover on his soft sides.

ME: currently I have a beat up old 80s grandby on my truck that I use alot solo hunting, I'll often just leave the top down, seems like less condensation (one person breathing), and definitely easier to keep temps up. I am building my own aluminum framed one (for a flatbed) modeled after the fwc/atc design. I'll probably sew up a soft side insulation for winter usage, if anything it is a barrier between you and the condensation likely on the soft side walls so you don't get wet brushing against it, those insulation layers are breathable car cover fabric so when airing out things will dry out. I'll put some thought to reducing some of the thermal bridging with the aluminum frame and metal fasteners.

Main areas of concern for cold are: the window frames and screws are thermal bridges that are condensation collection points, in the winter in the morning with the temp lowered in the camper its not uncommon the have frost in the staples in the slats along the ceiling. When you fire up the heater higher those melt but having a rag to quick wipe things tends to address all that. You'll run into the same issues with tents in the winter obviously.

They have pros/cons. I find them convenient and a warm/dry place that's pretty mobile but it is not going to be as warm/dry as a hard wall camper for obvious reasons.

BWise5707

FNG
We've been noodling on getting a truck camper for a while. I like tent camping with my boys and it's a fair amount of work setting up. And, it doesn't work in the parking lot at the lake or at the ski hill. And, my wife's schedule at the hospital is now every weekend. So, it's my boys and I. They are 5 and 13.

Thinking about adding a used truck camper to make things a bit easier and more adventurous for the next few years. Plus, I could use it for hunting season when we base camp it at the truck, ski season to stay on the hill overnight, etc.

Our truck is a chevy 2500 diesel crew cab short bed. We need to still be able to tow our boat with the camper.

Would like to keep it under $5k which means a 15-20 year old unit.

1st decision is hard side or soft side pop-up. Brand new palomino campers are 12k or so which is tempting. Found a local northstar pop up for close to my budget. It's their version for a half ton truck so it's a little smaller than I'd like. But, it's 12 years old and northstar seems to have a decent rep among pop ups. Being lighter makes it easier to carry. I'm concerned a pop up will be too cold for the kids and the occasions my wife comes along.

So, anyone with experience?

Pop up longevity?

Pop up comfort in colder weather?

Pop up or hard side?

My opinion wpuld be to find a smaller used hard shelled camper. Easier to maintain. Warmer. Less to setup. And overall more comfortable and better options for the kids.