Truck camping/hunting

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a rifle tag this year, and our rifle deer season starts 2nd week of November here in South Dakota. I'm looking for ways to stay warm this season as I am planning on truck camping this year. I want to be closer to my hunting areas and closest hotel is 60 miles one way. I have a Ford supercrew cab with a 6.5' box, and no topper. Usually our November's are pretty chilly, and could see snow that time of year. I was wondering if I should sleep in the cab with the truck running all night(is that safe?) Or thought about buying a truck bed tent, and then using a heater in there, but also worried about carbon monoxide with the heater. I do have a generator I could bring if an electric heater would be better. Whatd everybody else doing? Thank you!

I sleep in the bed with a topper. I use a 0° sleeping bag and a down comforter. Sometimes I'll run a Mr. Buddy heater for a little bit before I go to bed and when I wake up. Works great for me into the teens.
I would get a topper, they are nice for staying in and keeping your gear dry, safe, dust free.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I sleep in the bed with a topper. I use a 0° sleeping bag and a down comforter. Sometimes I'll run a Mr. Buddy heater for a little bit before I go to bed and when I wake up. Works great for me into the teens.
I would get a topper, they are nice for staying in and keeping your gear dry, safe, dust free.
Yes a topper is on my list, but unfortunately not this year.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I am facing a similar situation this year. I bought a soft topper for my tundra. I'm hoping it will hold up to wind better than my tipi tent with a stove and is definitely an upgrade from the blue tarp I normally cover my gear with. Softopper is lighter and cheaper than a hard top.
I was looking into those as well, but still a bit more than I want to spend right now. I can buy a decent truck bed tent for a couple hundred bucks.

You will also need a thick sleeping pad, especially if sleeping in the bed of the truck. I would consider a tent with a Mr Buddy heater or the generator and electric heater. I slept in the back seat of my truck for a week last November with temps in the teens at night. Wore warm cloths and used a 15* bag.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
You will also need a thick sleeping pad, especially if sleeping in the bed of the truck. I would consider a tent with a Mr Buddy heater or the generator and electric heater. I slept in the back seat of my truck for a week last November with temps in the teens at night. Wore warm cloths and used a 15* bag.
I'm kind of leaning towards sleeping in the cab with a sleeping bag, I can always turn my truck on for a little bit if I get cold. And I'm short enough, so it should be fairly comfortable to me

zacattack

WKR
I have slept many a night in the cab of my Tacoma. I’ll get in my sleeping bag as best I can and can usually fall asleep pretty fast. If I get cold I’ll crank the truck and run the heater for a few minutes to warm it back up. It ain’t the best but it costs basically no money or equipment.

Get a good sleeping bag.
Rustic ridge 7 in 1 is bomb and what i use.
If you're really budget strapped get a bunch of the blue moving blankets from harbor freight.
Just use the heater for dinner time and getting up in the morning.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I have slept many a night in the cab of my Tacoma. I’ll get in my sleeping bag as best I can and can usually fall asleep pretty fast. If I get cold I’ll crank the truck and run the heater for a few minutes to warm it back up. It ain’t the best but it costs basically no money or equipment.
I hear you, I've slept in my pickup before during early archery season, but never on a late season rifle hunt.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a 2 person tent from REI and set it up in the back of my truck (6.5' bed). I then use a nice thick sleeping pad, warm sleeping bag, and a heater buddy. The heater buddy has a low oxygen shutoff and it works really well. If you are really worried about CO, then get a CO monitor that goes off at low levels. The combo of the Heater buddy, warm sleeping bag and tent should keep you warm enough. Its pretty cheap (<$100 for the tent and $100 for the hater buddy) and a LOT more comfortable than sleeping cramped up in the cab of a truck (tried that, never, ever again). The 2 person tent in the truck bed with heater buddy works well.

Werty

WKR
I'd rather sleep in my truck with a topper than listen to the damn wind smack my tent all night long.
I bought a eskimo insulated ice shanty last winter to try out for duel purpose. Camping and ice fishing.

colersu22

WKR
Like other have mentioned I would look for a used topper, you still have 3 months to pick one up. I bought a used ARE fully loaded topper a few months ago for $500 and it was the correct color. I searched Craigslist and offer up and finally started emailing dealers that had what I was looking for and one dealer said they would sell the topper to me and I don’t think they knew what they had.

go_deep

WKR
I sleep in the back seat of my truck alot. Only one time I had to start my truck for heat, otherwise I use a camping air pad, an old sleeping bag under it and either a 30° bag or my 0° bag depending on temp. Works great when you're only there for a night, or don't actually know where you'll end up each day.