Truck camping mattresses?

dtrkyman

WKR
Looking for a good mattress, may go with the mondoking I think it is, looking for a warm one for winter.

I think memory foam gets hard in the cold?

It’s for the back of my grand Cherokee so nothing too large.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
a friend loaned me this plush plush Thermorest pad. IIRC it was called the Dream-maker or something. it was a hybrid. it had foam and you had to blow it up with air. it was something like 4-5" when inflated. i kid you not ,that thing was comfortable in the back of my pickup truck. i slept like a baby. it packed down to a roll about the size of my torso, so it was not tiny.

EDIT: texted my bud. it is the Thermorest DREAMTIME.

JoeDirt

WKR
I just bought a $100 foam cot sized mattress off of Amazon. It was the 4" Millard

I slept like a baby on it !

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I just bought a $100 foam cot sized mattress off of Amazon. It was the 4" Millard

I slept like a baby on it !

Warm?

Would like to find something that doesn’t inflate, may even cut a piece of that sheet insulation to fit inside the whole back!

JoeDirt

WKR
Warm?

Would like to find something that doesn’t inflate, may even cut a piece of that sheet insulation to fit inside the whole back!

I didn't notice it being cold. I slept in it a few night below freezing, in a 20deg bag.

I hear some of the memory foam is cold this I think is regular foam. 4" thick was just enough for be being a side sleeper to be comfortable.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I built a small wood platform that goes over the wheel wells and slides into the full bed of the truck. A normal Twin XL mattress fits in my truck bed (8foot bed) with room on the sides and a foot an a half of room at the tail gate. I wouldn’t recommend anything with memory foam as it does get really hard when it’s cold out. A normal foam topper or pad is what I use on an older mattress.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I just double up on backpacking mats. Thermarest z-lite and Exped UL-7. It's actually a pretty comfy combo.

That’s what I’m doing now but not very comfy, big Agnes insulated

We use a pair of Thermarest MondoKings in our truck camper. They are about 4-5” thick and R11 insulation. Comfort is better than our sleep number air bed at home. They are large and fairly pricey and don’t easy compress down. They also reinflate slowly but man do they sleep well.

I’ve also stacked two Thermarest inflatables for a good nights sleep or added the Z-lite under an ultralight version for warmth.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I was going to get the mondo but worry about durability, I usually need to throw things in the jeep when I get up and there’s not a ton of room back there

I just picked up a $40 memory foam topper from walmart for this exact purpose. Will report back next week.

Memory foam gets hard in the cold but softens around your body as your heat warms it. Honestly, the initial rigidness is what I like about it; it straightens my spine back out and then I slowly sink in... I purposely leave my bedroom windows open during the winter so my MF pad is hard as rock when I get in.

I also have a GC so I completely understand the space constraints and needing to jam coolers/etc back in before heading out in the AM.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Thanks guys, just ordered a Milliard 6" It is 4 inch 3lb foam and 1.5 inch memory, I figure if the memory gets hard I can sleep on the other side.

1 inch should be warm and comfy.

backstraps01

Lil-Rokslider
Thermorest Dreamtime can be bought easily for around 140-150 bucks!! When I had a 2500 Dodge, I had all the room I needed Had a hard cover on the bed and slept snug as a bug in a rug

jspradley

WKR
I started using a $10 Intex inflatable twin mattress from walmart with my REI Thermarest-style pad on top of it for car camping.

Works REALLY well, in warm weather you don't need the pad on top of it but the air in the mattress gets really chilly without it in cold weather.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Can confirm memory foam goes solid in the cold. Under a quilt your body heat fixes that. Not sure with a sleeping bag.

In my rig I use a D&D futon (found on amazon for $70) with a couple of ridgerests under it. That futon with one of those tri-fold foam mattresses underneath makes for a better guest bed than our pullout sofa.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Forgot about this thread, that mattress is a game changer, warm super comfy and no issues down into the teens with the foam.

Nearly as good as my mattress at home!

I run a double stack of thick queen bed mattress toppers. One is foam, the other plush. Extremely comfortable. The whole thing roles up to store in my gear room.