Truck camping side dishes?

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but what sides do you guys like to make when you are truck camping? We'll have a small grill and a jet boil so we planned on making burgers and steaks on the grill, and maybe heating up some soup with the jet boil, but besides ramen noodles or dehydrated meals, what else is easy to make?

You can never go wrong with a sautee of potatoes, mushroom, onion, peppers, etc. Basically try to get the other food groups into 1 pot or pan.

For less hassel we have been pre making our meals and reheating when we need them.

I am trying to vacuum seal meals and freeze them before the trip now. Once ready, let them sit in hot water for a bit and your good to go. Unfortunately I forgot my food on my last hunt so I am eating it now for work lunches. Kicking myself because they turned out really good. These two were homemade mac n cheese/chicken/spinach for the greens and perogies/kraut-apples/pork loin. All meals that would stick good to the ribs after a good day in the field and help keep your body warm while sleeping. Oh, and they act as ice blocks if you have a drive ahead of you to keep other things cold.
e6af1cdba3a4b50a7c8df716dcbe7794.jpg
b0bcb601cf29fc996793d3c2c01c134a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Uncle Bens ready rice, the precooked stuff in a bag.

Heat and eat, mix with a jar of canned vension and your good to go.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Aside from more meat or a couple fingers of scotch or bourbon...

Stovetop stuffing in a gallon zip lock bag with a couple tablespoons of butter. Simply add boiling water, knead around to mix and let sit. Exact same method with instant mashed potatoes in the flavor of your choice.

I like instant mashies too, but prefer couscous with parmesan and garlic....also sauteed mushrooms and onions, and a nice ripe avocado....all you need from simple to gourmet is a fire pit grill, cast iron pan, teakettle, spatula and wooden spoon, and your mess kit....

Attachments

• 20200813_211015.jpg
    20200813_211015.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 27

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I take vacuum packed portions of vegetables. I cook the steamable bags at home, separate into portions and freeze in the vacuum bags. Of course, don’t vacuum seal until they are frozen. All you have to do is boil water and drop in the packet.

I also like taking a bag of dinner rolls and spreadable butter.

I do breakfast burritos in vacuum bags too, but you didn’t ask about that.

*zap*

WKR
Pre cooked pasta, penne and tortellini. Mix the penne with some black beans and the tortellini with scrambled eggs. Cheese tortellini (small kind) & scrambled eggs is awesome. Eggs in pan tort on top and cook like normal scrambled eggs.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I like to have a side of Clamato juice with my Budlight. It really elevates the meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
Uncle Bens ready rice, the precooked stuff in a bag.

The 90 second microwave stuff? Do you boil it in the bag, or how do you heat it up?

I take vacuum packed portions of vegetables. I cook the steamable bags at home, separate into portions and freeze in the vacuum bags. Of course, don’t vacuum seal until they are frozen. All you have to do is boil water and drop in the packet.

So steam in the microwave, separate into portions, freeze, then vacuum seal them?