Truck camping sleeping pad

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to hunting out west and planning a mid October mule deer hunt and trying to save money where possible considering it's a lot of gear I'm investing in. Anyone have any recommendations for sleeping pad when tent camping out of the truck? I don't need the most lightweight option because I'm not backpacking in so I figured I could get creative and save some money. Also being from Louisiana and going to Wyoming I'm nervous about how cold it'll get so I want something with at least an R value of 4.
I've seen on here people recommend air mattresses or foam mattress toppers in these situation but I'm just not sure they're actually that insulating. Anyone have experience with that cause it could be a good option.
Thanks for any help!
Otherwise two I was looking at:

In mid October the weather will be getting cooler and there is always the chance of snow. I've used an air matress with a few blankets on top of it and then a good sleeping bag and have been fine during a Montana November. Camping at the truck really let's you get away with not so stellar gear in my experience. I would just get the pad you want, and then bring some extra blankets.

And FYI, many of us will not support Dicks Sporting goods after what they did with pulling AR15s from their shelves and all their virtue signaling. There are other places who are more pro 2A to spend your money.

JRMiller

WKR
Honestly for truck camping i just use the standard Intex single air mattress with a heavy blanket on top. Its like sleeping at home.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the EXPED MegaMat. Or if you want to save a few bucks for an extra tank of gas, the DeepSleep 7.5 is a solid option as well. Both come in MW (26x72) and LXW (30x78) sizes depending on truck bed size.

Jimss

WKR
I use my old tried and true air up Thermarest or possibly neoair. I like my neoair the best and it's super light and packable for extended backpack trips.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Thermarest MondoKing 3D has been an awesome truck camping pad for me. Warm and comfortable on the ground or truck bed or on top of a cot.

rayporter

WKR
a cheap closed cell foam pad on top of your air mattress will be good for any temp. if you take a cot you will also need the foam pad.

i would take a foam pad even if i thought i did not need it. you can kneel on it to cook and have a dry warm place to sit if weather sets in. and cut a piece off to have a butt pad for glassing.

Eli80

FNG
Big Agnes hindman has been warm for me, but I agree with the rest on running bigger since weight isn’t an issue. Cheap mattress is a viable truxk bed option too

*zap*

WKR
I use thermarest basecamp or luxury mat in large long with a ridgerest under it. The other night the basecamp went down with a seam blown out and I slept on it deflated and the ridgerest..was not that bad actually....that's what is good about the self inflating pads with foam inside them.

bubbay

FNG
twin mattress and bunk heater 28 years otr bunk heater better than a fatt girl

JRMiller

WKR
Memory foam is temp sensative, part of its original design.
It gets hard in cold temps
Rock hard in real cold temps
And in the heat it’s almost too soft and makes you sweat your nuts off too
Its great at home but not ideal in the outdoors

Luckyrxc

FNG
There are some good suggestions here. I would add that late fall in the truck bed can be quite cold with the metal below you. I do like the suggestion of not relying on an inflatable mattress since they have a tendency to deflate. You can take one because they are comfortable, but I do like the suggestion of having something made of foam in case it deflates.The good news is car camping gives you inexpensive options. A layer of egg crate foam from Home Depot is an option as well. When I car camp in the late season, I put my fancy and expensive three season mummy bag inside of an inexpensive three season rectangular bag. It’s a really warm combination and probably exceeds the warmth of my old -40° north face Inferno. You can buy one of those inexpensive three season bags at a secondhand store probably. It even works laid out underneath you on top of a foam pad, providing lots of warmth and padding.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much yall have given me a lot to think about and look into! Just to clarify I'll be sleeping in my tent though. It'll be the of us so not enough room to sleep on the truck, just near it.