Truck camping sleeping pad

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a Teton XXL foam pad with a couple layers of egg crate foam on top of that on a 40"x86" cot with my giant Slumberjack rectangular bag. I sleep better on that than I do in my bed at home. In fact, I take it with us on trips because there are five of us when we all go and I'll sleep on it in hotels. And we are all fighting over it because it's so comfortable. I have similar setups for all of us when we go camping so everyone can be comfortable. Over half of the back of the truck (F-350 with camper shell and long bed) is just rolled foam.

Marble

WKR
I'm new to hunting out west and planning a mid October mule deer hunt and trying to save money where possible considering it's a lot of gear I'm investing in. Anyone have any recommendations for sleeping pad when tent camping out of the truck? I don't need the most lightweight option because I'm not backpacking in so I figured I could get creative and save some money. Also being from Louisiana and going to Wyoming I'm nervous about how cold it'll get so I want something with at least an R value of 4.
I've seen on here people recommend air mattresses or foam mattress toppers in these situation but I'm just not sure they're actually that insulating. Anyone have experience with that cause it could be a good option.
Thanks for any help!
Otherwise two I was looking at:

A $30 trifold costco pad. Used it in summer all the way to 0 degrees. I use it in the back of the truck and in the tent. Cheap, comfy and warm.

It works really well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
I'm new to hunting out west and planning a mid October mule deer hunt and trying to save money where possible considering it's a lot of gear I'm investing in. Anyone have any recommendations for sleeping pad when tent camping out of the truck? I don't need the most lightweight option because I'm not backpacking in so I figured I could get creative and save some money. Also being from Louisiana and going to Wyoming I'm nervous about how cold it'll get so I want something with at least an R value of 4.
I've seen on here people recommend air mattresses or foam mattress toppers in these situation but I'm just not sure they're actually that insulating. Anyone have experience with that cause it could be a good option.
Thanks for any help!
Otherwise two I was looking at:

What part of LA you reside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
A $30 trifold costco pad. Used it in summer all the way to 0 degrees. I use it in the back of the truck and in the tent. Cheap, comfy and warm.

It works really well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That's a really good thought I might jump on that

I have
1)12 oz canvas bedroll
2) 4” foam closed cell from buddy’s apolstery shop.
3) 20 yr old flannel lined 0 deg bag
4) big man XL cot

Big and bulky, but is awesome for truck camping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Exped MegaMat 10. It’s heavy and doesn’t pack down very small, but for truck camping, it’s the best I’ve ever used. Feels like a memory foam mattress you’d sleep on at home. It’s that good..

I even packed it in 10 miles on a Colorado fishing trip. It was worth the good nights sleep I got that week. Good luck!

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
For truck camping ain't no way I'm sleeping on an air mattress. A memory foam mattress off Amazon is extremely comfortable, affordable, and a supper Insulator. Why in the world would you not be comfortable truck camping.

QFE

4” memory foam mattress cut to fit on top of a Cabela’s cot. Sleeping bag of choice. Take a blanket, too, if you’re worried about being cold.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Jacks plastic welding aka the Paco Pad. They make a wide version. Nothing better nothing tougher.

dmess

FNG
Another for Exped Mega mat. I use Paco’s on water trips but I don’t think they are as comfortable as Exped. No doubt they are tougher though. I have a 10 year old paco that is as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
You have a truck to transport it so weight/volume don't matter. Cheap 3 or 4 inch thick foam works fabulous. BTW I like cots, but then you REALLY have to insulate against bottom heat loss. The 3-4 inch foam works well regardless.