Truck camping - staying mobile?

I use a disc-0-bed cot. I cut 10" out of it to make it fit in the back of my truck with a camper shell. I also cut off the bottom base bar. This works fantastic for on the go hunting trips. Two people can sleep and you have enough room to move around and put clothes on in the morning. We put a buddy heater on a small plastic stool in the corner to heat up before going to bed and in the morning when its cold. I will also put the small moving blankets you get from harbor freight under the cots covering the hole floor of the bed. This insulates things a little and makes a softer floor for moving around on.

This is pretty slick. I use my helinox cot and a memory foam pad if I’m planning on kicking it in my rig.

Mosby

WKR
Yes sir! He’s my second Vizsla, I’d never own a different bread. They’re great at home and in the field!
f3e7b654b36fc4f1592462b216335918.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have two of them. I will always have a Vizsla.

mcseal2

WKR
My truck is a shortbed model with a flatbed that holds a toolbox and auxillary fuel tank so my options are limited. I usually take a Polaris UTV on hunts that I haul in our 14ft half top stock trailer. This set-up is pretty quick and convenient if bugs are not an issue. We usually sleep in our Seek 8 man tipi and have the trailer as our cook shack, but we can put the cots in the trailer too if we want to be more mobile. The tarp goes on pretty quick with a few bungie straps. We are looking at getting it customized this summer to provide better coverage if we get blowing snow, but it does good for most conditions. With the cook stove running off a 25lb propane bottle it is pretty comfortable in there on cold evenings too.

It's nothing like a topper on a pick-up for mobility, but it's not bad. I save a ton of time accessing country with the UTV instead of the F-350 truck, I have to travel rough country pretty slow in that rough sucker compared to the UTV.

Attachments

• truck trailer snow.jpg
    truck trailer snow.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 91
At 5’11” I am just barely too tall to comfortably sleep in the back of my ‘97 4Runner, but I think if I built a box to sleep on with a roll-out drawer like some of you have done I could get a few more inches out of it and sleep much better. I’m gonna have to look into that!

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
If the weather permits we put a wind blocker up and throw cots under the stars. If rain is expected we put up a tarp. Also helps to listen for bugles throughout the night as opposed to setting up our wall tents. We have been starting to look at a tipi tent to save space and setup time as well as weight and sell our wall tents.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.JPG
    IMG_2557.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 68

Squamch

WKR
In my f350, I'll fold the back seat up and sleep on the floor if I don't have the canopy (topper to you yanks) on. If the canopy is on, I sleep under that.
4runner, I have the bottom of the driver's side back seat removed, flop the back of it down flat, and sleep there. Chainsaw and fuel go outside, everything else can stay in there.

I had an 89 toyota with a fiberglass canopy on it. Slept under the canopy one freezing night, sharing a sleeping bag with my 85lb pitbull. I woke up in the morning, sat up, fired up the heater, and started to get dressed.
That was when the icy rain shower from the condensation frozen on the ceiling of the canopy, melting, started...

I will add, roof top trends...er, tents, are stupid in my opinion for the following reasons;
You fold your bedding up in a wet tent in the morning.
You have to take the tent down to use the vehicle.
You need a big ass space to dry one out when you get home, and need someone to help you haul the damn thing off the truck when you get home too!

Now all the moisture concerns don't matter if rain is a weird thing for you, but I live in coastal BC. We get multiple inches of rain in 24 hours, for days on end, pretty regularly.