Truck Cap Buyers Guide

RAPTOR

WKR
ARE Z series here. I've had ARE on all my trucks, and they have been great. Power lock is a must. The guys crawling around need either a BedRug, BedRug Mat, or rubber bed mat.

Austink47

WKR
I would highly recommend at least one flip up side window. Also if you fly fish and or enjoy a road beer from time to time look at something like a snugtop that has a gasket to the cab, rods can come into the cab beers can go out. I really miss my snugtop.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Get one that the front window (behind the cab) folds down so you can clean both truck & shell glass. I have a Snugtop. 3 years with no issues and the color match is spot on.

My leer has lasted pretty well. After 5 years the gas struts won't hold when it is 5 degrees but other than that it has been pretty solid. Have the contractor leer top, hard side doors w/ glass rear door.

OP
B

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The ARE Series V with the outdoorsman window seems like ticket

RAPTOR

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The ARE Series V with the outdoorsman window seems like ticket

Get the tracks on the roof when you order. That way you can always add a rack or basket in the future. It really helped this year throwing stuff up on the basket and being able to free up space in the bed.

Check out Ranch for a much lower price. This was $1600 installed. From my research, they have a superior honeycomb design that makes theirs much stronger. They also have sliding and folding front windows, carpet, LEDs, and most of the accessories that the well known brands offer. The Axalta paint is a near perfect match as well.
994e2764cc8eb3b89c6ab29146e4aeb1.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely love my LEER cap. I have the roof rack and the LEER Locker option installed. That is a game changer!! Can keep bow and or gun hidden and locked out of the way and dog bock in the bed at all times and still have plenty of room. Leer locker is a a must have in my opinion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub'd. I've been wanting to get one from my F-150 S-crew short bed. I love the truck, but a trailer is nearly a must on longer trips.

robtattoo

WKR
If you're more interested in function over form (ie: it's awesome, but looks like shit...) keep your eye on your local craigslist.

I picked this one up (I think it's an old ARE), with clamps & keys, for $75. I ran a bead of silicone sealer around all the windows & so far, the only leaks are the gaps there the hatch doesn't quite meet the bent & dented tailgate top.

20171019_114517.jpg

LightFoot

WKR
Leer 100xr with the windoors. Paint match is about perfect.
c305c7fb04721d0cee461ec395b5dcb4.jpg
29e9a044375151011629b1d6d0ab0628.jpg

Definitely go with the windows that open like this. I had the slide windows on the side (Tacoma) and regretted not getting the ones that swing up.

>>>----JAKE----->

manitou1

WKR
If you base your choices on having a "port" to discard road beers, you really should reconsider. (as indicated above)
I worked emergency medical services for 16 years and can tell you cutting a dead father out of a vehicle (struck by a drinking driver) in front of his wife and kids as they were going on vaction is no party. Neither is asking a 10 yr old boy where his father is because his mom was just killed by a drunk driver... and his response was he had no father.
I have plenty more stories where that came from, none of which are any more pleasant.
If you care little about your own life and family and wish to go out... fine, but don't take others that may have more to live for with you.

netman

WKR
ARE for me and my last four new trucks. Like Mosby said get it from a family owned business. I have a family owned ARE near me and these guys are awesome.
My next purchase for my shell is going to be a bright light for the interior.

yhc

WKR
Leer 100xr with the windoors. Paint match is about perfect.
c305c7fb04721d0cee461ec395b5dcb4.jpg
29e9a044375151011629b1d6d0ab0628.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread.

I am looking for a new truck cap for my 2020 F350. I have narrowed my choices down to either Leer XR or Snugtop Rebel. I am considering Windoors on both sides but on my F350, it seems like they will sit quite high for me to easily reach in to grab things out of the truck bed though I am 6'2".

@NEhunter or anyone who has windoors on their full size truck caps, how are you liking your windoor option? Are you actually using them? Any regrets for getting them?

Regards,

Tod osier

WKR
I would be shocked if someone could use them on a SuperDuty, I know I couldn't on my F250 even if I was a foot taller. I'm short, but I just can't see how it would be possible to effectively utilize them. It should be easy enough to test by putting a 2x4 on edge to simulate the lip and try to reach in. I've known taller guys that have them on older 1/2 tons that sat lower that had and used them.

rayporter

WKR
i put on running boards that extend almost to the rear tire. they are a huge help but might not let you get in the window.

likely only a step stool with work.

years ago i had a company truck with the side windows and a glass door on the rear with a side hinge. it was petty nice but it was a low half ton and i could reach in.

smithjd

FNG
I had a Chevy 2500 work truck with an ARE topper and windows that opened on the sides of the topper. I don’t think they were “windoors” proper because they each had two exposed T handles / locks. I rarely used them. Others at work who had more organized racks in the back of their trucks did open them for smaller items that were positioned on the racks.

I just bought a personal Tundra and Leer XR and skipped getting the Windoors, just the sliders for ventilation when truck camping.