Truck cap

Jmort1754

WKR
Buying a cap for my new truck.
I know the only definitive thing I want is a rooftop cargo management system.
Anyone have photos ? Or experiences ?

BadDogPSD

WKR
I've had Snugtops, Leer, and ARE. Of the 3, I'd rank ARE as the best quality, then Leer, then Snugtop. I think Leer owns Snugtop now.
Never had any major issues with any of them, but the Snug top always seemed to need something retightend.
Never had a cargo management system, but one of the Leers had rails for roof rack stuff that I used for bicycles & skis.

I called all around my state as a everything was 6-8 weeks out at minimum. Other than that you can get it made just about however you want.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I picked up a used cap with thule racks for $100 off Craigslist for my tacoma. If you look long enough, you can find a deal.

stump06

WKR
I just picked up a used ARE for my tacoma and I would fourth the windoors. Makes it super easy to get in and access stuff that closer to the front. I love my truck cap!

TSAMP

WKR
Without a doubt. That's a must.
I believe they mean this is a window that opens up for access. IE a hatch.

Thought it was worth specifying. I have a "high end" leer with solid glass windows that open up as the whole window, basically they tilt 2 inches. Air flow sucks. I got it used and learned the lesson. Cheap model with slider or as above a full hatch is the way to go. I'd also go with the above cab height for my next one.

Attachments

• 105612.jpeg
    105612.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 180

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
My ARE has the windows that open all the way, plus they have a slider with a screen. You can open the slider and get air but have a screened opening.

This is the third truck that I have had an ARE on. It is the MX model.

Tod osier

WKR
Buying a cap for my new truck.
I know the only definitive thing I want is a rooftop cargo management system.
Anyone have photos ? Or experiences ?

I have the Yakima tracks on my Leer. I've had racks on the last three trucks all with Leer caps. First was tracks, then landing pads then tracks again. The tracks are very versatile especially nice if you want to put a bullet box on (short) and a canoe (long) at other times.

I rank Leer as the best paint match, ARE as second and SnugTop as third. I think the ARE caps are nicer then Leer, but the paint is more important to me (yes, I'm that shallow).

Side opening windows aren't useful if you can't reach in them. I'm not reaching into side windows on my F250.

Dealer is important, as far as dealing with the paint match. I had a red (RED!!!!) truck that I never loved the paint match. On my latest cap on the F250 the match was horrible, but the dealer said it was fine and within the acceptable range. I would have been pissed every day I saw the truck (I'm that shallow). Luckily, the fiberglass work on the cap was not great (telegraphing the CSM) and they sent it back and the second time around the match was very good.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Higher End Leer on my truck right now and wish i would of went with ARE! This Leer cap is a POS! Constantly tightening stuff down, a few trim pieces have fallen off and the paint on it has runs and orange peel. I will never buy another Leer cap! Before anyone ask i had the dealer work on it a few times under warranty and the next day another issue would arise. Leer is :poop: in my opinion.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Fold down / sliding rear window so you can wash the outside of your trucks back glass and the outside of the camper back glass. If I had to pick between this or the windoor side windows I'd pick the windoor though.

Alu-Cab is worth a look. Perfect cap on a Tacoma. Half the weight of fiberglass and tons of accessories. Side doors, roof rails, interior M8 slots, interior LEDs all around.

Buy a bed slide. otherwise over 1/2 your bed space is a pain to get to and use. with the slide you can put coolers or whatever youll use the least at the very back of the bed but also still have easy access without having to unpack everything or crawling over it.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Leer cap for my 8' truck bed. I went with a full size flip open window on The driver side and a slide window with a screen on the other side. I sleep in the back and it's nice to be able to vent without having to prop the window open.

I also got the felt liner inside the cap. It helps with condensation and is easier on the back if I rub against the cap while inside it.

I use 2X4's sitting on the top of the cap over the bed rails to cross the bed with plywood over top. This creates a nice shelf for sleeping on while keeping all the gear underneath or packing gear without having to stack stuff making a mess to deal with.

I simply use a piece of rope tied to handles of coolers, bags, chainsaw and other gear to pull it to the back of the bed if I store it up by the cab. Stuff I rarely use is stored up by the cab and is easily pulled out by the rope when needed. Having the 8' bed is great for room but is a long way to reach for gear. Rope is a cheaper and lighter way to solve the problem than the bed drawer.