Truck cap

PA Hunter

WKR
I had a Jeracho on my last truck and ARE on my current mega cab i like the high back models for more storage room for my hunting trips. I have dogproof window screens are nice.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an ARE on my f150. No complaints & I have the side windows that open up. Love them. I’m considering a rack on top as well. I think Leer makes a pull down rack that’s installed inside the ceiling of the topper that looks interesting. Called the Leer Locker I believe

Attachments

• F4B3D013-6DE9-4277-914E-A8BEC06F95FE.jpeg
    F4B3D013-6DE9-4277-914E-A8BEC06F95FE.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 111
  • A5A2298D-269C-4A20-A8B5-FF6072AD694F.jpeg
    A5A2298D-269C-4A20-A8B5-FF6072AD694F.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 3147AC11-5521-4ADD-A5C8-6436482D7535.jpeg
    3147AC11-5521-4ADD-A5C8-6436482D7535.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 100
The only topper I could find for my new truck was a mid-rise ARE MX.

I was hesitant at first, but I don't think I'd ever want a level roof again. The mid-rise is so handy for hauling stuff and sitting in.

I thought it would be a problem mounting a canoe on a mid-rise topper, but it's not.

Like others have said, side opening windows and individual latches at the corners of the window are good features.

Here's a handy trick if you're in the market for a used truck cap: exploit the regional name differences.

Type every combination of
+ topper, canopy, shell, cap, camper into Craigslist, and you'll often find obscure listings made by someone who uses different language on account of being older or from some other part of the country.
I was hesitant at first too however I am in the same boat. I can't see myself with a mid rise cap. It's perfect when we travel out west. I can fit alot of gear and get it good and jam packed! Luckily for the nissan frontier it's good for model years 2005-2021.
a483fa7269895fff53fe2437aaca7cc5.jpg
e6ea36a9ffa1c5f1a80efc6dc94bfa1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I also think you might wanna check out that smartcap, if it was on the market when i was looking i would have gotten one for sure. I have an ARE CX and those windoors would have been a good idea too, i just have sliders. However i now have the ez topperlift 12v strut lift system with the integrated tent installed, so i wouldn't need windoors anymore anyway. I highly recommend looking at the ez lift if you get a topper! its so awesome for loading, camping, or grabbing something from towards the front of the bed when your topper is full of stuff. Theres been so many times something would fit in the canopy but just not quite through the opening. Solves all that, everyone should take a look at it if you have a topper

colersu22

WKR
I’ve got an ARE on my f150. No complaints & I have the side windows that open up. Love them. I’m considering a rack on top as well. I think Leer makes a pull down rack that’s installed inside the ceiling of the topper that looks interesting. Called the Leer Locker I believe

I want to say it was Ryan Avery that had a leer locker in his truck and did a review on it here but it was before leer bought the company so it was a different name.

On my 2019 F150 I have a Leer; with the locker and a Thule rack on top. Love having the locker to hold firearms up and out of the way. I carry a canoe on the rack. The only negative on the locker is it does block some of your view out the back window.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I just noticed on ARE website, they sell what's called Cap Pack. similar to the Leer Locker. Very interested in this.

WKR

This was mentioned earlier. I'm hoping to get one of these for an upcoming Dodge Ram or perhaps 2023 Tundra.

My ARE currently has yakima rails mounted, windoors, and is not bad. Small water leaks at times but think that is more an install issue.

Two things to also consider

1. If you get the windows the open all the way up, get a full length side rail/step in order to reach into the window.

2. Cut a piece of 5/8 plywood or something similar and put it inside the lip of the bed/shell. Make it the width of the bed by about 3' depending if you have a long or short bed. It acts as a shelf, increasing storage and makes grabbing gear easier. Keeps it nice and dry in case the shell ends up leaking. My dogs like to ride up there too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Please post a picture of this.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was going through this same thing, went to get a price on a SnugTop. I was quoted up to 12 weeks on lead time. The place had an RSI Smartcap in stock for my truck and another one put together that was already spoken for. After looking at the RSI, it fits what I want better than the fiberglass tops. Price in Alaska is comparable if I got the gullwing windows and package to allow a 500 pound static load rating on a SnugTop (the RSI Smartcap has a 700 pound static load rating). The Smartcap also comes with rails preinstalled for a rack (RSI makes racks, though other racks can be fitted as well). I also like that it is made out of steel and about 100 pounds lighter than a standard fiberglass cap. Mine will be installed on the 12th of next month.

Of course the aesthetics of the Smartcap is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Braaap

WKR
Here is a pic of the side windows on my ARE. I wouldn’t get a cap without these windows. They have a screened slider in the middle which is nice to give the dogs some fresh air. I’m picking up a new truck later today will get another ARE most likely. I want to learn more about the RSI caps also.

Attachments

• 6AFA45B5-83E8-4F56-B2E1-D28E525F3B91.jpeg
    6AFA45B5-83E8-4F56-B2E1-D28E525F3B91.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 61

Dos XX

WKR
Here is a pic of the side windows on my ARE. I wouldn’t get a cap without these windows. They have a screened slider in the middle which is nice to give the dogs some fresh air. I’m picking up a new truck later today will get another ARE most likely. I want to learn more about the RSI caps also.
+1. Same windows I have in my ARE MX.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t even know what mine is, but I have the flip up side windows near the front for access and there’s no way I’d get another topper without them. It eliminates you having to climb from the back to the front to get something. Pair that with a decked system and it’s money. Got it for $500 off Facebook. For me it’s the ultimate mobile camper, guiding and hunting rig.

Be sure to get a bed sealer kit for your truck. Has a gasket deal for your tailgate and some foam plug things that plug some holes in your bed. Otherwise it’ll be a dusty disaster.

8c8ca0453b1c167d96a2f3e31bf71dec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk