Truck Gun

Forest

WKR
So I must admit I am guilty of buying too many nice guns...… nice enough I don't enjoy using them as much as I would like. So I am looking at getting a gun that I don't "care" if it gets scratched, beat up a little or shot a bunch. Would be used primarily on deer & pronghorn but would also like it to be adequate for a backup elk rifle. It will likely ride around quite a bit in the pickup, atv's etc.

So what is everyone's favorite truck gun???

I'm thinking something like a Ruger American predator in 6.5 cm, TC venture in 270 win, something along those lines. Thoughts???

Part 2 is tough scopes?? Always had good luck with my leupolds, maybe a vx-r. Open to suggestions there as well!! Just so it's not vortex, cant seem to get much consistency out of them ha

I borrow the H&R youth synthetic stock Handi-Rifle with an older 3x9 Leupold I bought my wife for a truck and ATV gun (she's 4'11" and even a youth M70 was long for her). .243, and short enough it lays inside an ATV box between two layers of foam or wrapped in my coveralls, eliminating the requirement for a scabbard. Not my preferred elk caliber, but regardless it has taken several cows on late season hunts, perfect for deer-pronghorn-coyotes. Eats about any factory ammo just fine and was MOA out of the box. Love that little rig - just make sure to get the longer picatinny base (and hammer extension) so you can move the scope forward for full size people, factory base sits the scope awful tight to the eyebrows..... Only improvement I would have done if the rifle was "for me" would be to buy the 25-06.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Life is to short to hunt with stuff that you normally would not use. I say use the stuff you enjoy shooting with now. The scars tell the tale.

This gun will get used a lot, living in the middle of no where I have a gun with me all of hunting season. My others will still get used as well on hunts they are specific for.

The tikka is a great contender for sure esp if I could find a deal on one. Little more $$ but great shooters. .308 would be a good fit as well

howl

WKR
6.5G AR for me. I built it cheap enough I won't be too put out if it walks off when I am parked at the boat ramp. And having a stack of 25 round mags in the seat pocket makes it useful for more than hunting. Elk hunting is a special event for me, though. Truck gun doesn't enter into it.

What you're talking about doesn't like a truck gun. It sounds like a utility gun. A person could get by with one of various handy .308-class bolt actions and a 2-7x VXR. I'd look for a slightly heavy 20" barrel and affordable ten round magazines.

elkguide

WKR
The Ruger American you suggested would fit the bill well.
AS to glass it would NOT be a Leopold. Lots of better choices.
SWFA - NightForce - Swarovski.

kickemall

WKR
You can't hardly go wrong with a Ruger American Predator for what your talking about. I love, and have, Tikkas but I have a 6.5 creedmoor Predator that rides in the truck, quad, horse or whatever I happen to be using that day. Cost me all of 400 bucks and shoots incredibly well even after being abused. I like the creedmoor because its got enough juice if I need to shoot something big and I can take some pretty long shots at yotes, squirrels or whatever. I treat it like a truck gun and it takes its licks and just keeps shooting. I did change the trigger to a Timney, $127 from optics planet. Cabelas has predators for $439 now in 6.5, cheaper in other calibers.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Utility gun I probably a better way to put it for sure! Not like im trying to hide it in the center counsel ha. Just something that can take some abuse and still shoot straight. plus not break the bank. Good stuff guys thanks!!

OP
F

Forest

WKR
The only difference in the predator and regular American is barrel weight right?? Lot more options in the regular American as far as calibers, but I suppose the heavier barrel would hold up better and obviously shoot a bit better esp when warm

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have one but a howa houge would be high on my list in 308 or 708 1st would be a savge stevens for 300 bucks if they still made them

Last edited:
OP
F

Forest

WKR
I don't have one but a howa houge would be high on my list in 308 or 708 1st would be a savge stevens for 300 bucks if they still made them
I actually have an old stevens in 22-250, that's basically what I am after in a larger cartridge. That thing is a real shooter!

Oldffemt

WKR
I bought my boy a standard American in 30-06. Between us we’ve fired 2 boxes through it. Shoots fairly well but we both hate everything else about it. ESP the magazine! And I don’t own anything else that I’d consider high end to compare it to. My point is, if you scrape the bottom of the barrel too hard, you probably won’t be happy with the sh*t you come up with. Chicks dig scars, use the nice rifles. They’re tools to do a job.

PS, I’ll make you a great deal on an American in ‘06 with crappy mags😆

all great rifle choices - if it were me the ONLY scope that would be on it is a Leupold - of the last 13 or 14 elk, 1/2 dozen deer, lost count on speed goats, then there are the song dogs I've not missed ONE that was caused by the scope - Leupolds are AMERICAN made and as good an AMERICAN company as any other, no matter the venue

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard built in the 70s last season, chambered in 7mm mag, so its action is basically a Mark 5 just with cheaper wood... this is one hell of a great rifle and I am so glad I picked it up for the functional weapon and a decent price. I really am sold on the Weatherby rifles! I'd like to add I have been carrying a Model 70 Classic COmpact in 7mm08 since 1999 and it is literally my baby.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have 2, a savage lightweight hunter (kuiu camo stock) with a leupold fx2 in 6.5cm.

The other one is a kimber Montana 223 with a leupold fx3.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My truck guns rotate between a Winchester 94 Trapper .30-30, a Ruger GSR .308 and a Winchester 95 .30-06, any one of them can do backup as a hunting rifle if I need but mostly they just pop coyotes.