Truck Gun

lemmerjj

FNG
I'm considering getting a truck gun/bug out gun and would like people's opinions or set ups that they have. I want something versatile, obviously, and something that is in a common caliber. Thanks in advance.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kimber Montana 223 with a vx2 burrows in the back of our SUV and a savage lightweight hunter behind the seat of my truck.

I don’t have any cool AR15s or anything like that at the moment.

A lot of that depends on your anticipated use and your location. If you aren't in big bear country, you probably don't need to put a .45-70 in there or anything. If you are just thinking about pot shots at a coyote or the like, any of the fast .22 calibers would work well. For small game, you can't go wrong with a .22LR or a .17 HMR or a .22mag.

krohboy

WKR
I'm currently waiting on a few more parts but am building an AR for this exact purpose. I'm building out a 10.5" barrel 5.56 AR Pistol to keep under the rear seat of my truck. There is currently also a Glock 9MM in the center console.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
AR-15 platform if you are looking for self defense against two legged critters. Ammo is relatively cheap, available and you can carry a lot of it. You can go as crazy as you want with all the options of accessories, etc.... I prefer a red dot (I run an Aimpoint) type optic.

Welp this is a very complex question.

For “versatility” I would start with.... name your favorite .308 bolt gun, cut down as short as possible while maintaining the ballistic characteristics your looking for, and mount some type of 3xwhatever optic

Back that up with a glock 19 and lots of mags.

If we’re going single gun, fighting it out, you have the training to understand a gun fight, as basic as movement to contact, have drilled a lot with an AR type rifle, then my choice would be a 14.5 inch barrel with pinned and welded comp, OR an AR pistol, with a 12.5 inch and add comp, pick whatever upper and lower fits your budget (I like BCM for cost/quality ratios) and mount some type of high quality variable 1x8 optic.

Pick your poison, you could even run three guns!!!!

In the end it all comes down to your capabilities and what the mission you envision encountering. Think perceived problems/solutions.

Are you an ace with a long gun, pretty decent with pistol? Not good with either but pretty good with shotguns? I could go all day but I’ll simmer down now.

Coldtrail

WKR
12ga, 18.5"-20" barrel, extended mag with #4 buck/slug/#4 buck/slug etc. Will take care of two & four legged critters causing problems.

Trees91

WKR
I put together a cheap palmetto state armory 10.5” ar pistol for a truck gun. Just make sure to put a brass catcher on if you’re using a ar....

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I bounce between a few different truck guns, I tried using my AR, but I’m not big on them overall. I’ve also carried a .204 and a .243 through the years, but I always go back to my Rossi .357 M92, it’s just a basic rifle, no frills but it’s accurate and comfortable, I’m not worried about glass catching on stuff or breaking. Just open sights and .357 Buffalo Bores in the tube mag

SKS 7.62 x 39. I have carried it for years. Short stock, very dependable, cheap ammunition and (4) ten round stripper clips wrapped in a shop rag. Many coyotes have fallen to this rifle in the past. Just the iron sights.

Duckbrx

FNG
Something in a .223!
  • Cheap ammo
  • Available basically anywhere
  • When the SHTF ammo will be on a lot of people dead or alive
  • Is a killing machine!!!IMG_5921.PNG

USMC-40

WKR
Hard to beat the AR platform for versatility. You could make a pretty sweet 'pistol' with a brace that keeps the size down. Jeff Cooper's scout rifle concept would be another option if you prefer a larger caliber, although I still think AR's are more capable and adaptable to a wide range of situations.

OP
L

lemmerjj

FNG
Welp this is a very complex question.

For “versatility” I would start with.... name your favorite .308 bolt gun, cut down as short as possible while maintaining the ballistic characteristics your looking for, and mount some type of 3xwhatever optic

Back that up with a glock 19 and lots of mags.

If we’re going single gun, fighting it out, you have the training to understand a gun fight, as basic as movement to contact, have drilled a lot with an AR type rifle, then my choice would be a 14.5 inch barrel with pinned and welded comp, OR an AR pistol, with a 12.5 inch and add comp, pick whatever upper and lower fits your budget (I like BCM for cost/quality ratios) and mount some type of high quality variable 1x8 optic.

Pick your poison, you could even run three guns!!!!

In the end it all comes down to your capabilities and what the mission you envision encountering. Think perceived problems/solutions.

Are you an ace with a long gun, pretty decent with pistol? Not good with either but pretty good with shotguns? I could go all day but I’ll simmer down now.

I should have been more specific on "versatility." Not necessarily looking at gun fight, but overall something that is able to be used and abused and capable of medium sized game and up. Thanks for the input. You and everyone else has given me a lot more to consider.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
When I think of a truck gun I think of something that more or less sits for a period of time and probably collects a little dust but will always go boom when needed. Haha with that in mind I'd probably go with a AK over an AR if high capacity and rate of fire were priorities. I was borrowing a friends pick up for firewood years ago and ended up shooting probably the biggest buck of my life because he had the old 30-30 behind the seat and I had a tag in my pocket.