Truck Gun

For anti social purposes, it is hard to argue against a military platform like an AR. For a general use hunting / just have a gun then a lever action is great. Fast shooting but you give up some accuracy and range. A bolt gun, especially something like the gunsight scout is a great option too. Capable of 500 yards and mid size game in 308 but still compact and relatively light. Heck, even a tikka or something would be great.

A couple of thoughts:

- Use some heavy hardware to mount optics, vehicles can be bouncy
- locktight everything
- check local laws where you live and travel
- secure It somehow, if you can. I can’t recall the stat or where to find it but a good chunk of stolen guns come from cars...which may make you want to think twice about something less high end and expensive.

ChrisA

WKR
My Howa mini in 223 and Leupold 3.5-10 have found a home under the back seat. Running 55 Nosler BTs. Only modification is I shortened the mag release, very important mod for the mini as a truck gun.

Chris

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stainless Remington model seven 223 I use for this. Nice short and compact

Terrapin

WKR
I use a one size fits all approach for a N Idaho truck gun. Stainless steel Ruger bolt gun in 30.06, synthetic (boat paddle) stock, 3-9 scope, nylon webbing sling, 10 extra shells in a buttstock carrier.

This should cover anything you’ll ever encounter. Not the best big bear gun, not the best personal defense gun, not the best varmint gun... but gets the job done just fine... besides, this is Idaho. Every man, woman and child has a Glock stuffed in their waistband (legally).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefcreed

FNG
Love my Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel. Very versatile and handy with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40, took deer, huge pig, and a yote with it last fall.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific on "versatility." Not necessarily looking at gun fight, but overall something that is able to be used and abused and capable of medium sized game and up. Thanks for the input. You and everyone else has given me a lot more to consider.

Then I’d go with the bolt gun, set up like Terrapin said. While I’d prefer a .308 for ammo procurement, 30-06 is common enough that you could get your hands on it.

Also go ahead and top that baby off with a glock 19 and some training. Never know when something’s going to down...and no I’m not a tin foil hat prepper, I just work in an industry where we teach/are taught to be ready to rock out. Feel like it’s a good mindset for everyone to have.

Good luck!!! Drop some more questions if you got em!!

Axlrod

WKR
I never have just one. Most of the time at the very least it is a 1911 in .45 and an AR in 6.5 Grendel 18" barrel with a suppressor.

robtattoo

WKR
I have 2 dedicated truck guns, depending on where I am.
A little, cutdown, 16" Marlin 336 in. 44 mag is the preferred permanent, under- seat resident. 7 rounds of homespun, 310gn cast. I've killed more hogs & coyotes with this than all my other guns combined.

When I come out west, I trade it out for a Winchester 94 in .30-30.

Tuned 10/22 is my constant companion for the same reasons I carry a leatherman wave every day.

In addition at different times I’ve kept my Remington 870 12ga, Winchester 94 30/30, Sporterized Mexican Mauser .243 with Redfield receiver sight, FAL or SCAR 17s

It’s simply a matter of selecting the right tool for the job.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My truck guns get changed out between a Ruger GSR in .308, a Winchester 94 Trapper in .30-30 and a Winchester 1895 in .30-06 (ya I guess I have a type). The .308 and the .30-30 both have the ability to mount lights and eventually they will have a red dot. They've all always worked when I needed them.

Carlin59

WKR
I’m in the process of rehabbing a Remington 742 in ‘06 for a truck gun/backup/loaner gun (assuming I can get it to cycle reliably). Figure it should cover a lot of basis, including ad-hoc big game.

tdot

WKR
.308 in some Rem700 variant. 18" barrel. Chassis with folding stock & 5 round mag (XLR Element). Some form of low power optic. 1-4x to 2-6x

Its compact, light(ish), highly compatible components (XLR Element doesnt need to be bedded). Extremely versatile and available ammunition.

I built this gun, but had a rem260 barrel, so that's what it is for now. But it'll eventually be a 308

Reactions: XLR