Truck is Gear, right??? F150 vs F250....

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
^^^ either way you're going to be happier with the 6.2 gasser. Mine is getting around 16 goind down the highway w/ 3:73's. It's been a beast of a little truck, wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

That is where we are focused now for sure. Next step is taking another look at the F250s to determine how the features we want fall out with the packages and options. Probably won't have pics to post of a shiny new truck for a couple months, but I do appreciate the continued input!

Yes my personal is the eco boost. If I remember correctly when I was looking at the 3.5 vs the 5.0 it was 21 vs 18 stated mpg. I am around 10.5 in my 250 and 20-21 in my f150. So I said 50% better for a cushion.

I think the Ford XLT package has a lot of bang for the buck. Main thing it doesn't have that I would want is leather. I would make sure to get the large fuel tank. That is super nice not having to stop and fill up constantly.

I think the Ford XLT package has a lot of bang for the buck. Main thing it doesn't have that I would want is leather. I would make sure to get the large fuel tank. That is super nice not having to stop and fill up constantly.

Agreed with this.

Driving around Alaska, my biggest issue towing with a gas engine is the lack of range. I'm at 32 gal, and have to plan my fuel management accordingly, particularly on the northern highways. I've rolled heavily loaded into Coldfoot on fumes, and I'd rather not sweat that stuff or carry extra jugs if I don't have too.

The long bed F250 has the option of a 48 gal tank, and that would be a high value item if I was shopping for a Ford.

^^^^I always figured if I was in this scenario I'd throw an auxiliary fueler in back and instead of filling it with diesel for my equipment, fill it with unleaded. Tucked up nice against the cab with a toolbox over the top you wouldn't lose much room considering how much extra gas you could carry.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Agreed with this.

Driving around Alaska, my biggest issue towing with a gas engine is the lack of range. I'm at 32 gal, and have to plan my fuel management accordingly, particularly on the northern highways. I've rolled heavily loaded into Coldfoot on fumes, and I'd rather not sweat that stuff or carry extra jugs if I don't have too.

The long bed F250 has the option of a 48 gal tank, and that would be a high value item if I was shopping for a Ford.

Doing multiple cross country trips (including 2 to Alaska), I learned that paying attention to range is pretty important with a 26 gallon tank on a fairly thirsty truck pulling a camper. That is a lot of fill-ups in a long day driving and you can't pass many stations on the ALCAN.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
For long term life and if you’re going to pull often I would go 250. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCsteve

WKR
Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) is required to make an F150 work out for us with the capacity margin desired (that is our problem with a 1/2 ton weight in the bed and on the tongue on long trips). HPDD is not a tow package it is a payload package (you seem to have the 2 confused). The truck can only be built with HDPP and standard tow package (not max tow, which is fine for us). Max tow requires the 3.5L and can't be added with HDPP. Either way the F250 is probably a better option overall and can be priced similarly to the F150 with the options needed.
I did a little research on the net and it looks like this HDPP you’re referring came out in 2015 and is only available with the 5.0. My 2014 Ecoboost came with the Max Tow and with the 7700 lbs GVWR package which I believe was the equivalent of the HDPP back then. Strange, the Ecoboost has more torque and is lighter than the 5.0. You’d think that it would increase the payload capacity.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
The HDPP is a sweet package that's as rare as hens teeth, a F250 gas job can be found on every corner. I think you will find a better deal on the gasser. I have a max tow ecoboost that is a great truck! It has done everything I needed it to untill my dad bought a bigger tractor. The old one weighed 9700 sitting on the goosneck and the f150/ecoboost handled it really well. However I need a 6.5 bed, need to move up to a crew cab, and the new tractor is much bigger than the old one (15k on the gooseneck) . Looks like I'm getting a f250 gasser in the near future also. The mpgs wont be much worse than the tundra you currently drive. I have a tundra at work and that thing consistently gets 14.4.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
The HDPP is a sweet package that's as rare as hens teeth, a F250 gas job can be found on every corner. I think you will find a better deal on the gasser. I have a max tow ecoboost that is a great truck! It has done everything I needed it to untill my dad bought a bigger tractor. The old one weighed 9700 sitting on the goosneck and the f150/ecoboost handled it really well. However I need a 6.5 bed, need to move up to a crew cab, and the new tractor is much bigger than the old one (15k on the gooseneck) . Looks like I'm getting a f250 gasser in the near future also. The mpgs wont be much worse than the tundra you currently drive. I have a tundra at work and that thing consistently gets 14.4.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the hdpp would have to be ordered. Not only is it rare, but it conflicts with a lot of options/packages. Pretty much would have to order.

We are getting an f250 for sure, we just have to finalize a couple things. I don’t have a bit of concern about the pulling ability of a 1/2 ton since our tundra was great with what we towed, it is just that I feel like we were pushing the rest of the components (frame, suspension, etc...). I’m sure an f150 would be an improvement with the hdpp. Anyway, as my wife has been saying, I have a few more trucks in me, so I don’t have to get it perfect this time.

I’m enjoying building a truck and I’m just going to build to suit and order.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2017 F-150 4x4 with a 36 gallon tank and a 3.5 liter six. It is more powerful than a V-8 and can tow 12,200 lbs. I get about 19.5 in town and around 22 on the highway. When I took my Cargo trailer for an elk hunt last year I didn't get very good gas mileage but I don't usually haul a trailer. If you do a lot of towing then you got to get a diesel engine. That's a no brainer, figure out what are you using the truck for the the majority of the time and base the purchase on that.

WRO

WKR
Coming from a tundra, be prepared to get nickle and dimed. I had an f 150 for 5 years, bought it new and spent more money on repairs on it in 100k miles than all my Toyotas combined.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WKR
^^^^I always figured if I was in this scenario I'd throw an auxiliary fueler in back and instead of filling it with diesel for my equipment, fill it with unleaded. Tucked up nice against the cab with a toolbox over the top you wouldn't lose much room considering how much extra gas you could carry.

This is what I did, I use my 03 F250 with the good ole V10 and a measly 26 gallon tank as my hunting truck and I was always stopping for fuel especially if I was towing. I bought a slim 45 gallon tank that is 9.5" wide and plumbed it in. Best thing I ever did for that truck.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Coming from a tundra, be prepared to get nickle and dimed. I had an f 150 for 5 years, bought it new and spent more money on repairs on it in 100k miles than all my Toyotas combined.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don’t think that isn’t a worry, but what you gonna do? My tundra has 120K on it and I haven’t spent a dime on it other than maintenance or repairs for damage from a mouse attack to the wiring.

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
This is what I did, I use my 03 F250 with the good ole V10 and a measly 26 gallon tank as my hunting truck and I was always stopping for fuel especially if I was towing. I bought a slim 45 gallon tank that is 9.5" wide and plumbed it in. Best thing I ever did for that truck.

I have a 26 in the tundra and the range flat out sucks when getting 9 mpg, you are pulling over every couple hours to fuel up. Don’t know how much worse the v10 was.

I’ll look at aux tanks for the f250 once I get a feel for the 36 gallons.

Last edited:

WKR
Ya my V10 gets 8 pulling a load and driving the dirt roads so close to the same as your Tundra. The aux tank is great but you got the long bed with that 48 gal tank if could save you the hassle of them. I wanted the long bed with the 48 gallon tank but I found a deal on the short bed I couldnt pass up.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Ya my V10 gets 8 pulling a load and driving the dirt roads so close to the same as your Tundra. The aux tank is great but you got the long bed with that 48 gal tank if could save you the hassle of them. I wanted the long bed with the 48 gallon tank but I found a deal on the short bed I couldnt pass up.

Long bed is something I haven’t committed to. I’ll admit I’m scared to go all in with a crew cab and long bed. The long bed would be nice, since we are space limited (volume) on some trips with the 6.5’. Anyone comment on how bad the long bed would be compared to the short bed on a 3/4 ton crew cab? The concern would be around town, I’ve just never had a truck like that. It won’t get driven much around town, but some.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a 26 in the tundra and the range flat out sucks when getting 9 mpg, you are pulling over every couple hours to fuel up. Don’t know how much worse the v10 was.

I’ll look at aux tanks for the f250 once I get a feel for the 36 gallons.

Just an FYI.. most in bed gravity fed tanks can only use diesel fuel due to static electricity.

tdhanses

WKR
Long bed is something I haven’t committed to. I’ll admit I’m scared to go all in with a crew cab and long bed. The long bed would be nice, since we are space limited (volume) on some trips with the 6.5’. Anyone comment on how bad the long bed would be compared to the short bed on a 3/4 ton crew cab? The concern would be around town, I’ve just never had a truck like that. It won’t get driven much around town, but some.

Personally if you only need extra space a few times a year I wouldn’t go long bed.