Truck jack

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggested jacks for changing a tire in the back country, or does everyone use what comes with the vehicle?

I usually have a little 2 ton hydraulic bottle jack in my truck for general use around the garage/farm. That's typically what I reach for to change a tire, not necessarily because it's "better" than the scissor jack that came with my truck but because it's just easier to get to. The scissor jack is a PITA to get in and out of its hidey-hole built into the cargo door.

I take a farm jack ("Hi-Lift jack") with me when I'm going off road, but it's primarily for recovery purposes if I get stuck. I wouldn't change a tire with it unless I absolutely had to. The thing scares me, and I don't really want to use it any more than necessary. They don't call that type of jack a "widow maker" for nothing.

Regardless what jack you choose, make sure it has enough travel to fully raise your tire off the ground. Jack height/travel can be an issue with vehicles that have larger-than-stock tires and/or aftermarket lifts/suspension kits. A piece of 2-by-something board is handy to have along to provide a firm/level base for your jack if you have to change a tire on soft or uneven ground.

Exactly what mightymouse said..

You may as well toss some chains in there with the hi-lift.

You can use the hi lift as a winch or to build a road under your tires.

They are a bit dangerous, but damn handy when you are stuck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I keep a dead low mallet now, too. Last tire change found the wheel fused to the hub from corrosion, likely due to mag chloride. Thankfully I was in a rocky area and was able to use the tire iron as a lever and a rock to pound it free.

WI75

FNG
A little anti seize between the mating surfaces of the rim and hub helps keep the wheels from getting stuck.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Found out the hard way when stuck, a handyman will not lift the front end of F350 diesel truck

I use the bottle jack that came with my truck and a 12” piece of 2x6 to put it on. My trucks not big, so it’s overkill for anything else. The hi-lift jacks can be handy, but I don’t have any lift points and I’m cheap so buying the necessary accessories to use it is t gonna happen.

TravisIN

WKR
I bring one of these if I know I’m going to be any where besides a nice road. It works great and is way safer than your standard bottle bc of the built in jack stand and big base. Also my truck sits up a little higher and I have no issue getting it lifted. I use it at home more than I do my floor jack since I don’t have to mess with it and jAckstands.
da6e420815a2f4c54bcad7286b4c2e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always bring a handyman jack, jack stands, and some chunks of 2x8 to help support the weight if there’s mud or soft ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input fellas! That unijack looks like a good idea Travis. The pro eagle off road jack looks sweet.

Squamch

WKR
I have a hilift and the stock jack in my f350, just a hilift in the 4runner. Limit your suspension with a chain or strap when using the hilift, and tie the handle off to the jack before letting go of it. A hilift isn't a particularly dangerous tool, anymore than an axe or a chainsaw is. Understanding how it works and how to use it is necessary though.

EJMK

FNG
I’m another vote for a Hi-Lift. Been using these for as long as I can remember. Good for utility trailers if your towing too.