Truck question - Nissan Titan.

ahatclif

FNG
The relation to Elk hunting is tenuous but I would be using the truck to hunt....

Anybody have significant problems with later-model Nissan Titans? They look nice and they seem to be about 20% less expensive that most other trucks are currently running. It sounds like they don't hold resale value as well as others but I tend to drive vehicles for several years so that does not concern me much unless I am dealing with constant repair problems.

I would prefer a Tundra but they are hard to find and a little more money that I would hope to spend.

Thanks.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
The 04-15 trucks are extremely reliable. A few well known minor problems with documented fixes. I've got a '12 that I've had for 6 years. I've put just under 65k on it and it's getting close to 140k total. I hope to have it for another 8-12 years and get it to 300k. The 16-22 models have a solid reputation. They also have some common issues. Even as a very happy owner I wouldn't recommend an XD. If you need more payload than a 1/2 ton can provide just get a 3/4 ton truck. Titantalk.com and the Titantalk Facebook group have been the best resources for me over the years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Had an older Titan, exhaust manifolds crack... they are integrated with the cat and very expensive to replace. It was one repair after another on mine, but if you can find one with the manifolds recently replaced it would be worth taking a look at. That repair alone could cost you more than just buying a Tundra originally (which I ended up doing).

bozeman

WKR
Had a buddy with a 2018.....every time it rained it would NOT crank up......it was crazy. Multiple Nissan dealers never figured it out. He had bought it new, they finally bought back. Just buy a Tundra and be done with it.

I wouldn't call them a bad truck, but they are not anywhere close to a tundra. They are cheaper for a reason! Common problems i'm aware of from over the years - Rear axle seal failure, which can lead to rear dif failure, exhaust manifold/cat rusts out fast, also issues with radiator/transmission/power steering etc. The interior/exterior is also really cheap - plastic parts are going to fall apart over the years (dash/mirrors/tailgate etc).

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I owned one of the first Titan XD Turbo Diesels that came out in 2016. I loved it. The entire truck was overbuilt. it was bigger than a 1/2 ton but smaller than a 3/4 ton. Very reliable truck and VERY comfortable. I only sold it because I needed a 1 ton DRW to pull my 21,000 lb fifth wheel.

Last edited:

gostovp

WKR
My good buddy had an 06 Titan that was extremely reliable he sold it with 200k on it and it’s still going. He leased a ‘17 and that thing was not good, always seemed to be in for some kind of warranty issue…he turned that lease in and leased a ‘20 which has been a lot better… small issues with the 20 though like backup sensors going out but nothing major.

tdhanses

WKR
I had a 2017 XD Diesel and it was a good pickup, I never had any issues with it.

They seem to be great truck to me. I've had a couple frontiers and still have one with over 360000 miles and still going strong. I only have around 80000 on my Titan, but it seems great so far and has a lot of power.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a new 2020 Titan XD, gas Aug 2020. I was between that, a tundra, and Chevy. Its a nice truck, I felt what I got for the same money was much better than the others. It came with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty, side steps, spray in bedliner. All things I would have had to add to the other trucks. So far so good, about 30k miles on it. It also tows great for a heavy 1/2 ton. I only tow a camper but love the power, but dislike the gas mileage, not good.

Daily I drive a combo of city/hwy miles to work. I'm getting 15-16mpg. It has a small tank, not great. If you get the tundra make sure its the bigger tank. Not sure that is an option with Titans. Although, I think the regular Titan gets better mileage.

A couple other nitpicky items I'm not excited about, like some auto features but overall I like the truck.

Also, you can only use type s chains on the rear tires, nothing on the front.