Truck Shopping

I’ve felt the same way but are they really going to drop? I’m honestly asking for answers from anyone more educated than me on economics . I’m on the market as well and have been researching a lot.

I hope they do but honestly not sure if they will. Hoping as new inventory shows up it’ll help. Either way me and the wife will keep saving until we find the “one” or they start going down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve felt the same way but are they really going to drop? I’m honestly asking for answers from anyone more educated than me on economics . I’m on the market as well and have been researching a lot.
If diesel rises to $5/gal like it did in 2008 you'll see a bunch of trucks on the market for cheap. Back then I was looking nationwide for almost 3 years for a 2000-2002 F-350 4x4 with the 7.3L PSD with manual transmission and manual transfer, crewcab, long bed, and XLT or better. I finally found a one-owner 2001 in '08 with 122k miles and paid $10k (they were asking $15k).......just because of the high diesel prices and low demand. I've had it for 12 years now and have put another 120k miles on it. So all we need is something to drop demand significantly.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
Glad you asked... had a ‘08 1500 silverado cc. 4 times it had an electronic issue where sensors in the throttle body, at certain temps, would cause a major malfunction. The malfunction would cause my engine to REDLINE IN DRIVE, catapulting me down the road with my foot off the gas. SIMULTANEOUSLY BRAKES FAILED!!! They were literally mush. I had to put it in neutral, turn the truck off, then on, and it would reset like nothing happened. Each time I took it in for the problem they just swapped throttle bodies, once in 3 secs right in front of me. Also had an independent shop look up literature on it written by chevy. Not enough people died from the issue to warrant a recall.... it almost caused accidents 2/4 times that could have easily killed me and others. On top of that the engine lost its #5 cylinder at 120k, and all the front suspension went bad at 100k.

Other than that lol, not a bad truck. Dad just had their new 1/4 diesel. Bought it for $45k, sold for $23k. Horrible resale, electronics were outdated. Now he has a new 2020 chevy 3500. His friend has a 2019 3500 ford. All diesels. I will say the new chevy and ford HDs have fancier electronics than my Ram. Fords have the nicest interiors overall and very smooth ride but you pay hard for it. But I didnt want fancy annoying electronic gizmos that can fail and cost more to buy/fix. Ordered my loaded ram with minimal fancy stuff on purpose and love it. Only regret is not getting a manual transmission while they existed, and maybe the megacab.
Now that you mention all the electronic stuff, it's bringing back some memories. I had an '03 Trailblazer that started having all kinds of fuel and fan issues (can't remember specifics) but some sensor wasn't mixing air and fuel at the correct ratio? Idk. All started going bad just over 100k (coincidentally) and the repairs for just one little gadget was about $2400 and all I could get for trade in was 2700. Not a monster bill but at the time I was just out of college and couldn't justify spending it to turn around and repair the next thing to fail. In building the F150, the pricec seemed quite unreasonable compared to what I was building out with the Chevy and Tundra. Thanks for the feedback, man.

I am a Ford man when it comes to trucks. On my 3rd F250, soon to be 4th. First one was an 07 that I bought used with 26k miles on it. Only issue I had with it was the EGR system. Sold it for a new 15. I had several issues under warranty with my 15. Radiator leak and an exhaust leak all within 15k miles. I traded it on a 17 simply because it was only going to cost me $6k to do so, it was a no brainer to dump a potential problem child. The 17 has had some basic recall isssues (engine block heater cord, tailgate, sunroof) but otherwise has been solid. I don’t put a lot of miles on my vehicles. Maybe 10k a year. I just order a 2021 and will be getting rid of 17 F250 w/ the intention of keeping the 2021 for 8-10 years.
I simply do not like anything about Dodges other than their engine. Their aesthetics/exterior just look terrible to me.

Chevy, I love the look of their trucks, the Allison transmission has been a beast for many years. However, everything else about a Chevy is crap. We do the GM thing for the wife (suburban/Yukon’s etc) and they start to fall sport around 70k miles. They are not something you hold on to long term. Trucks would be no different.

I love the Tundra, but it’s weak on power, antiquated on technology and not a full size truck. It does have reliability which is a huge plus. I tried really really hard to make myself not want all of the other things it lacks, but I simply couldn’t do it.

I have always said you buy:

Dodge for the Cummins motor
Chevy for the Allison transmission
Ford for the interior room and creature comforts
Toyota for reliability.

If someone could combine this into one vehicle it would be the end all be all. But....... that will never happen.
The only thing I would add is that the dodge interior on their new trucks is awesome. Mine has the massive screen and all sorts of cool techy stuff and gadgets.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I am a Ford man when it comes to trucks. On my 3rd F250, soon to be 4th. First one was an 07 that I bought used with 26k miles on it. Only issue I had with it was the EGR system. Sold it for a new 15. I had several issues under warranty with my 15. Radiator leak and an exhaust leak all within 15k miles. I traded it on a 17 simply because it was only going to cost me $6k to do so, it was a no brainer to dump a potential problem child. The 17 has had some basic recall isssues (engine block heater cord, tailgate, sunroof) but otherwise has been solid. I don’t put a lot of miles on my vehicles. Maybe 10k a year. I just order a 2021 and will be getting rid of 17 F250 w/ the intention of keeping the 2021 for 8-10 years.

I simply do not like anything about Dodges other than their engine. Their aesthetics/exterior just look terrible to me.

Chevy, I love the look of their trucks, the Allison transmission has been a beast for many years. However, everything else about a Chevy is crap. We do the GM thing for the wife (suburban/Yukon’s etc) and they start to fall sport around 70k miles. They are not something you hold on to long term. Trucks would be no different.

I love the Tundra, but it’s weak on power, antiquated on technology and not a full size truck. It does have reliability which is a huge plus. I tried really really hard to make myself not want all of the other things it lacks, but I simply couldn’t do it.

I have always said you buy:

Dodge for the Cummins motor
Chevy for the Allison transmission
Ford for the interior room and creature comforts
Toyota for reliability.

If someone could combine this into one vehicle it would be the end all be all. But....... that will never happen.
Pretty well said. I was trying to understand how the "reliability" alone measured up to other areas where the Tundra seems to be lacking. I'm barely leaning towards Chevy right now. Haven't ever considered Dodge myself, and I'm not sure why. Never had anyone close to me with any ownership experience or enough knowledge to know anything about them. The Ford has all but been ruled out on price alone at this point.

If diesel rises to $5/gal like it did in 2008 you'll see a bunch of trucks on the market for cheap. Back then I was looking nationwide for almost 3 years for a 2000-2002 F-350 4x4 with the 7.3L PSD with manual transmission and manual transfer, crewcab, long bed, and XLT or better. I finally found a one-owner 2001 in '08 with 122k miles and paid $10k (they were asking $15k).......just because of the high diesel prices and low demand. I've had it for 12 years now and have put another 120k miles on it. So all we need is something to drop demand significantly.
Best trucks in the best configuration. That 7.3 will go forever.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Best trucks in the best configuration. That 7.3 will go forever.
I can't even tell you how many guys have offered to buy the truck as soon as they saw it was a 6-speed manual. Even a game warden one year while I was hunting. Gave me his card and told me to call him if I was to ever sell it.

Mosby

WKR
Full size trucks are great until you try to go up or down a small trail or have to turn around somewhere in the middle. I bought a Chevy ZR2 diesel for hunting and can take it anywhere I hunt. Front and rear locking differential was important for where I go. Great fuel mileage on long trips. Enough tow capacity to take my small utility trailer. I love it.

Fords have the most spacious back seat area for sure if you plan on camping in your truck fairly often. F250s especially
Their resale value just sucks balls...I love how the Super Duties look and how high they sit off the ground. The 6.0 killed their reputation and ever since then they depreciate faster than any other truck in its class. I had a 2001 7.3 (great truck) and a 2004 6.0. My 6.0 nickel and dimed the hell out of me. I blew an injector coming out of the Frank Church Wilderness and had to limp that baby home pulling a big old horse trailer through the snow. It was awesome....

Full size trucks are great until you try to go up or down a small trail or have to turn around somewhere in the middle. I bought a Chevy ZR2 diesel for hunting and can take it anywhere I hunt. Front and rear locking differential was important for where I go. Great fuel mileage on long trips. Enough tow capacity to take my small utility trailer. I love it.
This is a valid point - I had a 2003 Nissan Frontier crew cab with the super charged V6 that was an awesome truck for bombing up and down dirt roads in the mountains.

cjdewese

WKR
All my family has owned are Toyota's since the early 90's. Longest lasting truck so far is my dad's 92 single cab pickup that had 395K before he gave it away. Oil changes regularly and he had to replace the radiator at one point. My brother owns a 2012 Tundra that currently has 180K and runs like the day he bought it. Just normal fluid changes and maintenance absolutely 0 wrong with it. I had a 2009 Tacoma that was at 240K when a motocycle totaled it, same thing just regular maintenance and 0 wrong with it. Currently own a 2017 4Runner and it has 98K of worry free miles so far. For me, piece of mind and reliability mean more to me than anything else especially since my wife drives my cars as well. I need to know that she is going to not get stranded for whatever reason. If you want to keep your truck and run it into the ground there will be no better value than owning a Toyota. If you need diesel then you will have to go elsewhere, unfortunately I don't think Toyota will ever bring any of their Diesel engines to the states.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 18 f150, I wouldn't trade it for any other truck. With that said, every major manufacturer has a quality truck, some are just lemons, others aren't. I lied when I said I wouldn't trade mine for another truck, I would definitely trade it for a 2021 f150, those things are sweet!

JFK

WKR
Tundra here. It’s a 2017 I bought new. Love it. I keep my trucks for a long time. Have owned an 88 Toyota pickup, 2000 Tacoma and now the tundra. All have been as trouble free as you could ask for.

One thing about Toyota is they don’t switch power plants every few years like US companies. They find something that works, perfect it, then stick that motor in their trucks for the next 10-15 years. That’s why their trucks don’t come across as the latest and greatest, but what you get is reliability that objectively cannot be matched by any of the other truck makers.

manitou1

WKR
This past June, I traded my Ram 1500 on a 2020 Silverado. I loved the Ram. Right at 100K miles with not a single issue. I miss it.

Toyota guy right here. Had the 4Runner for years and have been running a sequoia for 10 plus years now with almost no issues but regular maintenance. Sequoia is no slouch and keeps all my gear warm, dry and easily accessible.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
This past June, I traded my Ram 1500 on a 2020 Silverado. I loved the Ram. Right at 100K miles with not a single issue. I miss it.
What year was your Ram? and what's the Silverado not doing for ya?

I can't even tell you how many guys have offered to buy the truck as soon as they saw it was a 6-speed manual. Even a game warden one year while I was hunting. Gave me his card and told me to call him if I was to ever sell it.
I believe it. I was fortunate enough to drive my bro in laws whenever I went to Florida for about 5 years, loved that thing. Same setup as yours.

Drove my 2007 Tacoma for 190k mi with no major issues. Absolutely loved the truck but with a family of 5 we were outgrowing it faster than I’d like to admit.

Naturally, I started by looking at new Tundras. What I quickly learned is they looked basically identical to the 2007 I was getting rid of inside. Unfortunately, their lack of updates also came at a price premium, and the dealers seemed overly proud of them.

I started my search for full sized considering everything but Ram. For some reason, I just never considered them in the running. Once I finally gave them some consideration, I found the Ram 1500 was my favorite of the pack.

I got really lucky and made my purchase just before Covid hit the US. Inventory was high and pricing was phenomenal. I ended up purchasing at 28% off sticker price for a new 2020. While I don’t know if those prices will come back around for a long while, my out the door ended up considerably less than the other manufacturers.

Pricing aside, I’m extremely pleased with my switch from Tacoma to Ram at this point. I’m about a year in, so hopefully I share that same opinion 10yrs from now, but this is truly a better experience for ride quality, capability, tech, and creature comforts.
c4cac84d1c1868d44e800fecd724b652.jpg
How is the uconnect in that truck? I have a 2019 ram 1500 base model work truck the uconnect is so aggravating. Otherwise it’s a decent truck. Still not sure which 2500 diesel I’m going to buy in the next couple years.

manitou1

WKR
What year was your Ram? and what's the Silverado not doing for ya?
Ram was a 2015. I dunno. The Silverado is nice and has more features than the Ram did... but the Ram felt more like a truck! More solid, inside and out. The Ram suspension was WAYYY better. Rode like a dream and took bumps and potholes like a champ. The hemi... well, what is not to lime?! 😁 The Silverado (RST) has a very "squishy" suspension. I put the Trailboss lift/suspension on it and it helped a bit, but still not to my liking. Feels like an old 75 Monte Carlo with worn out shocks IMO. I will probably throw some Bilsteins under the Chevy soon to see if it helps, which it no doubt will. Also, the Ram had better ground clearance. Three of us from work (two of which are long time Chevy fans... peer pressure, right? lol) went and bought new Silverados during a sale last summer. Figured I never had one... would try it. I actually see myself getting into that new Tundra when it comes out. 30 mpg, 450 hp and over 500 ft lbs of torque sounds pretty sexy to me. Drove Toyotas for 30 years until I started pulling campers and boats.