Truck Shopping

I am looking for F250 with 7.3 gas and tremor package. I have a 90 Jeep and 75 Bronco I like to tow to different places and I just don't think a Tundra would hold up...plus the interiors haven't been updated since like the 90s...yes the are reliable but don't tow enough and little to no creature comforts. 7.3 with a 10sp trans will get better gas mileage than a Tundra.

Honestly, you could go round and round on feedback and brands. Identify the features you absolutely cannot live without, how much time it’ll spend on vs off-road and expected years of ownership.

For my money, I would rather save 5-10k on a few year old vehicle and forego a few nice to have’s. The differences between them seem large now but are fairly minute over multiple years of ownership.

eltaco

WKR
How is the uconnect in that truck? I have a 2019 ram 1500 base model work truck the uconnect is so aggravating. Otherwise it’s a decent truck. Still not sure which 2500 diesel I’m going to buy in the next couple years.

I opted for the 12” Uconnect and so far I absolutely love it. That large display suckered me in, but it remains one of my favorite things about the truck.

Again, I came from a 2007 Toyota, so my functional technology package before was essentially nil. I didn’t have Bluetooth or Nav and the speakers were complete garbage, but it’s all I knew. Perhaps my expectations are low, but I’ve been very happy with Uconnect

The interior on the Ram caused me to give it a look, but the ride quality and Ramboxes really met my unique needs with 3 young boys. Love that extra storage capacity with the rambox. The coil rear suspension seemed a significant benefit over the other trucks I’ve driven or ridden in.

I chose a Laramie trim, but here’s a Ram interior pic for reference if the OP hasn’t given them a look yet.
733f3ccb23d5c556f6e1b16cc4196ec9.jpg

eltaco

WKR
This is exactly why I don't like the newer trucks........just way too busy and crowded with stuff I don't want or need.

Thankfully for you, you can have it your way, too. Every manufacturer makes a no-frills base trim.

Painless

FNG
I just traded my 12 Tundra DC for a 2020 Tundra CM and I couldnt be happier. Still can't believe how much they gave me on my trade. The crazy thing is is my 2012 limited had more gadgets than my 2020 limited. Nothing I can't live without though.....

I did this investigation at the end of last summer (~August-ish) and the thing that surprised me the most was how different each of them drove. I have a thing against FCA vehicles so no Ram (it's not logical, just a thing...) but I drove the Chevy, Ford, Toyota, and Nissan half tons, all with the off road package and a few of the different engines. They were all very different and distinct, I had expected them to be far more similar than they felt. The best package for me ended up being a 2020 Titan, nice V8, 9 speed transmission, good clearance and locking diff, not a ton of electrical whiz bang features, and pretty middle of the road for towing/capacity. I'm very happy with it, though if doing it again I think I might add the seat heaters....

If you're patient you will almost certainly get more options as manufacturing was completely bollocks last year and is just now starting to shake loose. The lots were all mostly empty and there wasn't any used trucks to be had.

WCB

WKR
Had a 97 Silverado I bought used then bought my first new truck in college in 2008 GMC 1500 then a 2013 Silverado LT Z71 then a 2017 Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71 and now I just bought a 2021 1500 LT Z71. I wasn't a fan of the small boxes trucks have gone to but I really like the crew cabs vs extended and now Chevy has extended the whole truck about 9-10 inches. More box room and more cab room.

I have zero complaints except I wish Chevy had the wheel well protectors GMC now has to protect the edge from rock chips. And I wish trucks came standard with real tires...even the ATs that come on them all are junk.

I put about 30-35K a year on well over half on gravel, two tracks, across fields etc. I usually get rid of my trucks right around 120,000. Test drove Rams and F150s and Tundras....to me for I haven't had a reason to change.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thankfully for you, you can have it your way, too. Every manufacturer makes a no-frills base trim.
I haven't seen any like that in years. And unfortunately starting in 2015 the DOT mandated the addition of rear camera's which automatically gets you the giant video screen where all the vents and controls used to be. It's not necessarily the "trim level", it's the giant console in the middle that seems to be standard........they get rid of the manual gear shifter that used to be on the floor, then clog that space up with junk so it's hard to even get my foot on the gas pedal, and still have a place for my knee/leg to go while my foot is on the pedal. It's kind of like urban sprawl around here..........if there's an inch of open ground, they immediately build something on it. Same for the trucks......if there's an inch of open space, they fill it up with something useless. But I'm sure that's not a problem for shorter guys.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any like that in years. And unfortunately starting in 2015 the DOT mandated the addition of rear camera's which automatically gets you the giant video screen where all the vents and controls used to be. It's not necessarily the "trim level", it's the giant console in the middle that seems to be standard........they get rid of the manual gear shifter that used to be on the floor, then clog that space up with junk so it's hard to even get my foot on the gas pedal, and still have a place for my knee/leg to go while my foot is on the pedal. It's kind of like urban sprawl around here..........if there's an inch of open ground, they immediately build something on it. Same for the trucks......if there's an inch of open space, they fill it up with something useless. But I'm sure that's not a problem for shorter guys.

Look at the Chevy work trucks. Cousin has one, 2018. Manual 4x4. Front and back bench seats. Pretty “simple” truck compared to most these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
How is the uconnect in that truck? I have a 2019 ram 1500 base model work truck the uconnect is so aggravating. Otherwise it’s a decent truck. Still not sure which 2500 diesel I’m going to buy in the next couple years.
My Uconnect on my Ram was flawless. Had it for five years and over 100K miles and had to re-pair it once.
The Silverado, on the other hand, has to be re-paired to the phone 90%of the time I get in it. It will also disconnect while driving... frequently. Of course for safety reasons I have to pull over and put it in park to re-pair the phone to the truck. I call my wife every morning on my 30 minute drive to work and have to stop three times to re-pair sometimes. I HATE it! So bad, I think about trading back to a Ram almost weekly. Need to see if the dealer can remedy this as I can't figure it out. Tried solutions on the i-net to no avail. Just need to find the time to take it in.

hunt1up

WKR
I've had a lot of trucks and currently have a 2016 Silverado that I bought new. It has 105,000 on it and it drives like the day I bought it. The only real issue was it needed an AC condenser last year which cost me $700. Other than that it's been excellent. My next truck will probably be another GM product or perhaps a Toyota, but I'll keep an open mind and look at all of them.

Tyrus001

FNG
Just traded in a 2013 GMC 1500 Sierra that the transmission was going in, compressor was done, roof leaked, and without the AFM delete chip in it would constantly have check engine light on disabling remote start. Bought a 2021 SR5 Crewmax Tundra. The truck I should have bought back in 2015 when I bought the 2013 GMC. Also, when I put the chip in the GMC I'm getting the same mileage I'm getting now with a much more reliable and robust drivetrain.

2five7

WKR
Wasn't Toyota recalling Tundras and Tacomas to replace the entire frame due to rusting out? What ever happened with that? Doesn't inspire confidence if you live in a place where they salt the roads in the winter.

Tyrus001

FNG
Yes they did. I believe it was 2005-10 Tacomas and 07-08 Tundras. Replaced the frames for free.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they did. I believe it was 2005-10 Tacomas and 07-08 Tundras. Replaced the frames for free.
It now includes 3rd gen Tacomas as well. I think maybe 2016-2018. I have a 2018 SR5 Taco, but havent checked to see if mine is part of it or not.

Yooper

WKR
Current owner of an '18 F150 and previous owner of a '10 and '15 F150. This will be my last. Currently sitting in the garage at 63k miles on it after just having a ABS module replaced to the tune of $1500. While in the garage I had them look into a cold start rattle I've had for a bit. Seems like it's either tensioners or cam phasers. Tack on another couple grand or two for those fixes. At 34k miles my back up camera shit the bed and had to have that replaced. Add to that list that both of my previous F150's needed rear diffs before 75k miles. I'm tapping out with Ford after this. My garage has been great....phenomenal in taking care of me the best they can really, but I have no confidence left in Ford products....none. If I beat the piss out of them I could understand it, but I take care of my vehicles and don't abuse them. Currently looking at jumping back onto the Tundra bandwagon after driving an '09 before they discontinue their current V8.

nphunter

WKR
If your looking for a mountain vehicle a full sized truck will not go half the places your Jeep will. A Taco is a good hunting vehicle and will tow small things.
It really depends on what you want in a truck. I have a 2018 F150 now with just over 50k and it’s averaged right at or just over 20mpg. Prior to that I drove a 2011 tundra which was an ok truck but it went in for a lot of recalls but never broke down, it had 180K on it when I got rid of it. I would prefer the F150 hands down to the 2011 tundra but haven’t been around the newer ones.
I looked at a lot of vehicles before settling on a 4 door gen 2 Tacoma for a hunting rig. I came from a Cherokee, Xterra and Unlimited Rubicon. The Rubicon was the best off road machine but the taco is a better all around vehicle and had way more space but still gets around where a full size will struggle.
I would never own a full sized truck as a hunting rig, they just can’t go the places a smaller vehicle will go. I test drove a raptor and that thing would be a joke in the woods I drive around in, I would have had every panel on that thing smashed flat after one season. I get pinstripes all down the sides of the Taco the way it is.
The first thing to decide is what is the biggest use for the vehicle is and then start researching vehicles. One thing for sure is every 3/4t or larger truck I’ve ever been around sucks in the woods.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04