Truck Shopping

Hi everybody, FNG here. Looking for a place to get feedback/opinions on getting a new truck.

Little backstory. Currently own a 2011 Ram 1500. Pretty basic truck but upgraded with a new entertainment system, little lift kit and some rims. It’s a decent truck and I’m really happy with it rn. However, the cam went out and is gonna cost some $$$ to fix. Been having some other smaller issues come up and I’m just getting tired of dealing with them. I’ve also been saving up for awhile now and have been thinking it’s time to get a new truck.

So, I’m dealing with the whole buying process right now and trying to find the right truck and am really trying to balance two different things atm.

1.) looking for the “right” truck and brand. I’m pretty bias towards dodge and idk if I’m ready to switch brands, but I have found some I like. Love the look and utility of the rebels, the gms AT4s and even the trail bosses. Not a huge fan of ford but might switch if it was the right look/price and definitely not a fan of the Toyotas. So, looking for some feedback/experience with the mentioned trucks.

(Side Note: live along the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana, so kinda looking for something that can handle the weather)

2.) do I wait for the market to crash/splurge a little and get a new one with all the warranties? Or do I stick with new-ish and low miles which are a little cheaper at the moment?

Hope this all makes sense! Any advice or feedback would really be appreciated. Getting a little overwhelmed with the whole thing as it will be my first vehicle purchase.

Thanks!!

Super tag

WKR
This should spark up a few comments but here goes, I own a 2022 Ford F-250 Powerstroke diesel, I’ve had more than one of just about every HD truck there is and switched back to Ford in 2018, I put 50-70k miles a year on my trucks, tow heavy loads, hunt, etc. Ford are the only trucks I’ve ever owned that don’t rattle anywhere, at all. they have also been the most dependable by far, Chevys just aren’t built as well, the motor and tranny are good, but the truck isn’t what a Ford is. All my friends that have newer Dodge trucks have had terrible issues mostly transmissions, spindle/bearing issues. For medium duty trucks Chevy are pretty nice, I’d still put them second to the Ford F150 which again, are the best, I’ve got F150 work trucks that have many, many miles without any problems. I also like the fact that Ford didn’t need a bail out. my 2 cents

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
I’m a ford guy, I work on trucks/equipment, have been for 18 years. They are all junk, just pick what pros and cons you want to deal with, if only you could deal with women the same way. They all have their issues. If you are a dodge guy, buy another dodge, just know what to expect going into it. There will be horror stories of them all and stories about so and so’s buddy who had this and did all sorts of shit with the truck, never changed oil on anything, even drove it with no coolant for 27,000miles. Still runs today,,, blah blah blah. Sounds like you should find a new truck and get on the 4year program, most this crap doesn’t last much longer then 5years/125k. It’s a trap to a never ending cycle. If I was a dodge guy, id keep the truck you have and find a clean lowish miles 06 25/3500 in whatever trim package/ wheelbase you want w/ a 5.9 in it.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 crew with a 6.0 gas. I'm at 230,000 miles and no major issues. I change the oil every 3,000 and stay on top of maintenance. My wife has a 2017 Chevy 1500 crew with a 5.3. It has just over 100,000 miles with no issues and it rides really smooth. Like the other poster said, pick your poison. Not say Chevy is better it's just what I like.

Gone4Days

WKR
Fix your Ram and save $$$ for the upcoming recession. Don’t buy a new truck unless you are a millionaire paying cash. Since this is your first vehicle purchase i’m guessing you aren’t a millionaire or paying cash.

I’m 45 years old and have never bought a new vehicle. The last 3 vehicle I bought I paid cash. Buying a new car (or expensive used car) because “I can afford the payment” is a good way to live paycheck to paycheck the rest of your life.

Fix your Ram, put that extra money into retirement savings.

Last edited:
As far as the market goes, it is on the decline now. Used car prices are coming down. However, they are still a bit above where they should be in my opinion. Because new cars are still in short supply, although a few of our dealers are starting to see an extra truck or two per month, the used car market won’t “crash” for a long time.

The other factor is lack of late model used cars due to lack of building new ones for 2 years.

The reason we don’t see more new cars is due to chips, but not like you’ve been told. Chip suppliers can make them, but they don’t want to continue building the outdated chips car manufacturers are still demanding. Intel’s CEO said “I will build them all the chips they want as long as they update to the current technology.”

As far as Ford, Chevy, RAM, or Toyota… they’re all good. One thing I can’t stand are carpeted fender wells. They cut the noise down, but trap so much wet stuff. And the domestic trucks love to rust! Ford is a bit better with the aluminum body.

P.S. been in the industry since 1989. Was a car dealer in Virginia most of that time then oversaw product design for a tech company with ~30,000 dealerships from 2010 to 2017. Now have my own tech company building vehicle valuation and payment calculations for dealers and lenders.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Fix your Ram and save $$$ for the upcoming recession. Don’t buy a new truck unless you are a millionaire paying cash. Since this is your first vehicle purchase i’m guessing you aren’t a millionaire or paying cash.

I’m 45 years old and have never bought a new vehicle. The last 3 vehicle I bought I paid cash. Buying a new car (or expensive used car) because “I can afford the payment” is a good way to live paycheck to paycheck the rest of your life.

Fix your Ram, put that extra money into retirement savings.
This is no fun at all. Stop being logical and making sense =)

Afhunter1

WKR
I have a 2021 Chevy 2500 durmax Carhartt Edition and I can’t even imagine a better truck. It is a beast and looks good too. I pull a 10k boat and don’t even know it’s back there. I bought it new and will be keeping this one until I see it roll over 500k I like it so much. 25k on it now.

Logestagg

FNG
Road salt ate up my 2001 Silverado pretty bad on rocker panels and bed even with washing during winter. Is the aluminum body F150 a good problem solver for that?

Wapiti1

WKR
Road salt ate up my 2001 Silverado pretty bad on rocker panels and bed even with washing during winter. Is the aluminum body F150 a good problem solver for that?
No. Kind of. Some are very good. Others have corrosion issues at the fasteners, door hinges, and hood hinges. I wouldn't go with an earlier one, but the later ones are fine. It took them a bit of time to figure out how to electrically isolate the steel underbody from the aluminum body. Jeeps have the same issue with the doors and hood.

Jeremy

FLATHEAD

WKR
Just traded my '16 Ram Cummins turbo in on a '21 Nissan Frontier 4x4/4dr with 6K miles.
Even Swap. No Regrets. The Frontier feels like a better built truck.
The Ram with 46K miles was already giving me grief.

pirogue

WKR
Like said above, answers are like shooting birdshot into the middle of a covey rise.
But back to trucks: There are a lot of recent housing subdivisions built in the town I live in. You can tell by the construction and style, they are low end houses. If you see a truck in the driveway, it’s a Dodge. Look at construction companies, they buy a lower cost cheap Dodge for their employees’ company vehicle. I was putting fuel in my truck a fews ago, and a guy walked up and asked how I liked it. Told him I was happy with it and would buy another GMC when I needed to replace it. He nodded, and said, “Well you know what they say, the workers drive a Chevy, but the boss drives a GMC.”

I refuse to buy a "new" truck because I'd be pissed at every little ding, scratch and the depreciation. I look for used trucks with low mileage and then rig it my way. That way I can treat it like a glorified wheel barrel. Like you, I prefer Rams however, I get the Limited package cuz I sometimes drive for days to my hunting grounds and want be be very comfortable. I bought this 2014 diesel with 32000 miles on it for $3500 under KBB (had it put on a transport and driven from Iowa to Cali) and had a local shop transform it from a puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute. Stripped off the air bag suspension, badges and chrome, added a 6” BDS lift kits, custom wheels, 35” Toyo AT Xtreme tires, color matched Bushwhacker fender flares, color matched steel bumper, 12K winch, shackles front and rear, color matched grille, Powersteps, stubby antenna, Bedrug, BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover, Dee Zee tailgate assist, McGard tailgate lock, color matched side mirrors, handles, custom lights all around from Retroshop, window tinting, 360* camera surveillance system pretty, full recovery kit, and it’s always gotten me where I need to go and back home again. Love the mileage!

1a7c0b4bce37d5c76bcc8880c19eac79.gif

XkVSgyhgvjEn5yyDKFHbsIC2HXaAXch7JQJ3F4cqPZlTLQKHGZny1LvfUomhF9tTNndbXE5QGocWLhQZ3zzL4mVxsUg1-2XweaGusx7u-I8N_YMSfjgdFI7hajHv9IDAXvoQ-JqNkSFji4AF8xu0_HIM6uWSJPkLvrhMrJAJTCQUQQ46H7Jlj9CiN-uUvS_s94srI2GAYaRuzru6T7fFSn_GLgNg_RwxZdTq1x3t8-IL89FLHI_0Ng5Xmk677Lmq_pymTAFaNaNbOVtrCmU404R6xcMZXnPWv49kIMiMrtAwU3fZDWCWlfjM3CfW6zY9qAjOsd2A4GRx-OD8iVRzGqQ6_FfKN10JaGGsx62LsIzG2N1fwsFZdraPLDeHCf6E1MnZvSMipNmQ3M5cLDZ2-9zlvx-rs_GR9u2ppN7iroGdKRFA1EkPMY-q5hH0_HgV4PWCyx5HPG2sBNyaNM386NkiumXNiNbZY_UjOkSFYWZeuGSDXk6p2Nd30609yD3B2VUjEVAtGbN9kVAfgpu5Tdl577bNQ7AytzI_auEi4K4DkkIzh9FRamk-doAFz13Y9KQdh-wKxUNY72D2iZVckX0gNNA7TiTuUmj98G-u_fkdkIS8g8ob2eFIFTm93B4XCLD_M-cIQow5LbAHp8k1WrTuQfqMo5zm8TENsO4IAAB18NFhVnWUzHMMw0WrvrzHnNUysMAYUQUnmwEDxIAOaNxrFXSgCnYOLVNA5z13DnhRAjgbZow3DkedZaoQqpbWR-LQmqzuVlPgspS_GKB6qusCRK46-axw-CpXp_NZW8sP9YopU-WHXiGrJOU4Hg_7YAx6ud2XJ7SiAxKur8J_6ks6Z5rsRkDruCwdvmv0bQXaZFja4GIJI4CogwowCGgOf2I-_q5dKDj1_rGvss-JK9SFfCPAyCO1a0B2dw=w914-h617-no

mileage june '19.JPG

Last edited:
The 2022 used car bubble is about to pop so id wait if youre considering a new truck.... or like a few people have said, find a nice reliable truck for 20k you can pay cash for

tony

WKR
Dudes on a ranger FB page I follow are talking about spending over a 100 k for the bronco raptor :oops: :ROFLMAO: