Truck tires

Titan

WKR
I like Duratracs and the BFG KO2s.

You are going to struggle to get chains on that truck, especially with a wide tire. The great thing about the BFGs is that they run fairly narrow. You will need a narrow tire to get chains in there. Your best bet may be dropping down to an 18" wheel (which I would prefer offroad anyway) and getting a taller and narrower size tire. It will also be cheaper.

I'm at 45k on my KO2s and they still have some life left. I will probably get an extra 15k out of these compared to the Duratracs.

I own what is basically a couple year older version of that truck and I Love every single thing about it except that motor. I would love to have my old 5.4 L that I had prior to this truck. The ecoboost engine is finicky as hell. I have had so many times when the gas isnt a little right or it is raining heavy so water effects oxygen flow or.... a couple other things and the engine shutters at high rpm's and the check engine light blinks on. And I get Terrible gas mileage. 13-14 average. Anyway get ready for being greatly underimpressed by the "ECO" boost. will never understand how they use the term "ECO" on a truck that gets 13 mpg.
Aside from that.... BFG AT's you will never be disapointed with BFG

I own what is basically a couple year older version of that truck and I Love every single thing about it except that motor. I would love to have my old 5.4 L that I had prior to this truck. The ecoboost engine is finicky as hell. I have had so many times when the gas isnt a little right or it is raining heavy so water effects oxygen flow or.... a couple other things and the engine shutters at high rpm's and the check engine light blinks on. And I get Terrible gas mileage. 13-14 average. Anyway get ready for being greatly underimpressed by the "ECO" boost. will never understand how they use the term "ECO" on a truck that gets 13 mpg.
Aside from that.... BFG AT's you will never be disapointed with BFG

My 2016 crew cab 6.5' box with 3.5l ecoboost averages 18 mpg (a lot of hwy) and has been great. The low end torque is a nice upgrade from the 5.0s (3), 5.4, and chevy 5.3 I've had over the past 8 years.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I think they overhauled the ecoboost this past year or so to fix some of the Gen1 quirks. I'm hoping it does better.

boom

WKR
i run Michelin tires. right now the AT2. they are just a step more aggressive (barely) than their all season radial. if i had to pick a downside to the tires here it is: they last TOO LONG! i have traipse all over the country hunting..idaho, AZ, NM, etc. oh texas. they are mild mannered looking, but i go EVERYWHERE with those tires. last year in AZ,i had to creep out into a creek to pull out a sedan that had a retarded driver thinking he was piloting a boat.

the tread is about 60% good. i want new tires, but i cant justify the purchase. i get smooth road performance and braggable MPG (trust me, when you drive to hunts, great MPG is a blessing). my tires look like crap..all scuffed up and stuff. but like i said, the longevity might be too extreme. under my relatively lightweight tacoma, they just go and go. i bet i am over 50k miles on this set of tires. its crazy.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Only if you have your flat brim on....

Bedazzled jeans? Check
Flat brim? Check
Affliction shirt? Check
Kuiu vest? Check
Cowboy boots? Check
Spray tan? Check
Starbucks in hand? Check
Lifted Cummins on 24s? Check
Blowing unused fuel out the 8" stack exhaust? Check
Truck financed for 20 years? Check
Playlist comprised of FGL, Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Dan + Shay, Kane Brown, Jason Aldean, LANCO, and Post Malone? Check

Well boys, I think I'm all set. We can go ahead and shut this thing down at this point.

I used Toyo Open country A/T last year for a trip to Wyoming in a F250 with a truck camper in the bed. While in Wyoming they had the first rain in that area in over a month. The roads were slippery as snot but the tires worked great. Admittedly 4x4 and the weight of the camper in the bed may have helped the situation but I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Especially because they can handle the extra weight of the truck camper along with their off road capability. It was nice not having tire noise like i had from the mud tires, that I had on it before the Toyo's

My 2016 crew cab 6.5' box with 3.5l ecoboost averages 18 mpg (a lot of hwy) and has been great. The low end torque is a nice upgrade from the 5.0s (3), 5.4, and chevy 5.3 I've had over the past 8 years.

i have the 2012. I hear they have worked out some of the issues. i will ask today when i take it in to have my check engine light turned off....again.

WRO

WKR
Bedazzled jeans? Check
Flat brim? Check
Affliction shirt? Check
Kuiu vest? Check
Cowboy boots? Check
Spray tan? Check
Starbucks in hand? Check
Lifted Cummins on 24s? Check
Blowing unused fuel out the 8" stack exhaust? Check
Truck financed for 20 years? Check
Playlist comprised of FGL, Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Dan + Shay, Kane Brown, Jason Aldean, LANCO, and Post Malone? Check

Well boys, I think I'm all set. We can go ahead and shut this thing down at this point.
Do you have a rat tail and a vape pen?

If not you're missing a couple key items.
33c3a164795b381ebb9d09ab73d6aa1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a rat tail and a vape pen?

If not you're missing a couple key items.
33c3a164795b381ebb9d09ab73d6aa1b.jpg

I'm bald, and yes. But I only use soy-based, gluten free, ketogenic vaping fluid.

Until it's vegan vaping fluid, you're not quite there..

That's one step too far for today's country and hunting stars.

Side note, WRO you made me compare values/prices of Tacomas to the company '16 ecoboost I'm considering purchasing - it looks like for same year, same mileage, similar optioned Tacoma they are getting as much or more $ than an f150! Crazy disparity in depreciation there.

Hard to swallow a cramped cab and limited towing capability for the same $$.

541hunter

WKR
Alright, I'm ramping up to buy a new truck and am, of course, researching all the goodies I plan to put on it. The truck will be a 2018/19 F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.5' bed; 3.5L EcoBoost. It's main purpose will be trekking cross country, and then getting me where I need to go to access whatever hunting spot I have selected. Being that I am in Central Ohio, and take 2-3 trips per year out West, I will be putting a decent amount of highway miles on them. +/- 12,000miles/yr just in getting to my spots. It will be driven around home for work and play every once in awhile, but will not be a daily driver. I'll be buying 6 of them (2 spares), around 33" tall, on a 20" x 10" wheel. What do you guys suggest?

What I would like (if possible):
-Good all around manners in a variety of conditions; dry, rain, snow, mud, rocks, etc.
-Particularly good on the highway. I can stand a little hum, but I don't want a migraine after a 2000mile trip west. I know some tires start out OK, but really start singing after you get some miles on them. I'd like to avoid that.
-Relatively bulletproof/puncture resistant. I know some of the Forestry roads I've encountered in Colorado were pretty gnarly when it came to rocks. I see a lot are 10ply, but I assume they aren't talking about the sidewalls. That said, I'll have 2 spares, so if I need to trade sidewall resistance for something else, I've got some wiggle room.
-Decent in the mud.
-Chainable. I plan on carrying chains with me for all 4 corners. I can probably trade off some mudding ability because of this.
-Must obtain a least an 7/10 on the Mall Crawler scale.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's. They're a mud terrain that seems to get great reviews. From what I've read, they do quite well on the highway for a mud terrain compared to a lot of others. My second choice would probably be the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx. It's an all terrain, so I'm guessing it would do better on the highway than the STT Pro, but obviously gives up some offroad ability and only scores about a 6/10 on the MC scale. My father runs Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and loves them. I hear the sidewalls can be weak and they start to sing after they get some miles on them.

What would RokSlide recommend?

Toyo m55.

My work truck (an f150) has spent 90% of its 90,000 miles on forest roads and I have never had a flat. Almost all the trucks where I work have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
That's one step too far for today's country and hunting stars.

Side note, WRO you made me compare values/prices of Tacomas to the company '16 ecoboost I'm considering purchasing - it looks like for same year, same mileage, similar optioned Tacoma they are getting as much or more $ than an f150! Crazy disparity in depreciation there.

Hard to swallow a cramped cab and limited towing capability for the same $$.

I tow a 4000lb boat with mine all the time, the difference is your f150 will be worth 60% of what you paid for it in 4 years and the tacoma 85%..

I love mine around town, way easier to park and maneuver.. buying a used tacoma is dumb until they're like 10 years old.

Trial153

WKR
Yea used taco prices are insane... lf there is a truck that holds it value better then a taco i havent seen it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I run Goodyear duratracs on my dually. Great tire in everything, to include snow. It’s all I’ve had on my trucks for the last 6 years.