Truck Vault, Decked or similar

Researched em to death (consumer OCD) and ultimately chose to stick with SKB ATA rated bow & gun cases for the superior protection, flexibility and cleanliness.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
f040e9da42e7a5b7861fe68000861390.jpg
67dfed51700475407a5c333feed8ebe7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I built one myself as well. If I didn’t have the money to buy a deckd system but that’s what I’d do next time. It works well for me though. Can haul all the weight I need on top, and still have room for tools underneath.

I plan to build a plywood version for my suburban at some point.

If you’ve got a truck with a plastic bed liner, you might not even need any type of drawer slides. For a cheap solution, Home Depot sells that composite decking material. One 16’ board would make a set of 8’ slides for each drawer. Use some type of sliding barrel latch inside the platform to keep the drawers from falling out while making them easily removable.

I’d bolt some D-rings down to the corners of the bed floor, letting you secure the platform with ratchet straps so it can come out with no tools. Make some lift up or fold up wings on either side of the wheel wells to store jumper cables, tow straps, tire chains, etc.

A guy could have a set of drawers loaded with work tools, and another set with hunting/camping gear. The set with tools would probably need to be dropped right onto some sawhorses but the other stuff would probably be light enough to carry a few feet.

I’d still want bows and guns kept in at least a soft case, that way you don’t have to worry about what else is in the compartment and can throw them in a buddies truck also.

Last edited:

Pn8hall

WKR
Cool thing about building your own is you can make it whatever height you want. Mine is made completely out of plywood and it just sits in the bed without any straps or fasteners of any sort. I have never had an issue with it sliding around. I have a buddy that made some and used some UHMW strips for glides and they did not hold up very well. It was pretty thin stuff he used though. He ended up with oak runners as well. I think if you could find some pieces of a long cutting board from a restaurant and rip them into strips for the runners it would be the shiznit. I would still use formica for the bottom area though.

mnwanders

FNG
How secure is the decked system? One of the reasons why I'm interested in it is because I live in the city and my truck is parked outside all the time, and I want to have my stuff in the back ready to go. The cap seems pretty easy to break into by itself, plus if I put the stuff in the decked drawers the bed might look empty through the windows.

stonewall

WKR
So you guys with any of these systems (deck, vault, diy) and a topper have trouble fitting all your stuff in there when on a hunt trip?

3 of us drove to Wyoming last year. With all our stuff I don’t see how we could have made it fit

I initially looked at getting truck vault. But the price tag sent me running. Figured on building (welding) a gun safe that would take up half the bed long ways and lock on the cargo rings in bed. My dad ended up surprising me with a under back seat gunsafe. I forget the brand (tuffy maybe?) but I really like it. Only fits one rifle I’d say but it’s a nice option. We were bow hunting elk but brought the rifle for antelope doe tags

dmess

FNG
I had a Decked two drawer in my F150 with shell. Being plastic you lose quite a bit of potential space with the shape of the drawer and space between drawers. There are some metal ones out there that work better imo but at twice the cost. I have a new Ram 2500 now and went with full extension Cargo Glide and love that thing. At $2600 they aren’t cheap either but it’s been worth the price.

I can HIGHLY vouch for a camper shell. The only downside to the decked or any other similar system is the loss of height inside the bed. But the storage and organization would be beneficial. All depends what your end goal for the truck is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 80
Not sure if my setup would be helpful or not, but I was looking for a way to get off grid a little bit, but still have some comforts. Went with a ARE topper with outdoorsman windows (side windows pop up) and a cargoglide bed slide (only takes up 3.5 inches of bed space (not counting the sides, which can be taken off)).

The bed was built with 2x6's in the factory bed slots, 1/2 inch plywood, and a couple of camping mats. Throw in a few bags and pillows and it's a nice little setup. The bedslide has tie-downs built in so you can just use a hard guncase and strap it down if that's your application.

I threw in several bins for food and gear and a stove and some water. I intentionally split the bed in half so I can throw a big cooler on one side, then pull it out when I get there and put the plywood back on that side.

Attachments

• 20200727_202354.jpg
    20200727_202354.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200727_202410.jpg
    20200727_202410.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 154

Curoso

FNG
This one above seems awesome. Little bit of everything there with a pull out drawer even. I like the decked idea with my dogs but damn they’re not cheap. A buddy traced the sides with paper and did a cut to fit with a bunch of draws and cubby’s. He said he didn’t want to lose anything into the unopenable section. Said he spend around $350.

mdf21

Lil-Rokslider
So you guys with any of these systems (deck, vault, diy) and a topper have trouble fitting all your stuff in there when on a hunt trip?

3 of us drove to Wyoming last year. With all our stuff I don’t see how we could have made it fit

I initially looked at getting truck vault. But the price tag sent me running. Figured on building (welding) a gun safe that would take up half the bed long ways and lock on the cargo rings in bed. My dad ended up surprising me with a under back seat gunsafe. I forget the brand (tuffy maybe?) but I really like it. Only fits one rifle I’d say but it’s a nice option. We were bow hunting elk but brought the rifle for antelope doe tags

I found a decked system on Craigslist and run it under a camper shell. Love the storage capability. Keep my bow/rifle in the drawer all during hunting season along with ratchet straps, tow straps, emergency gear , etc in the other. Can fit a dog crate under the cap (depending on the size). Locking tailgate locks up the drawers so pretty secure. Love being able to stack stuff higher on top of it with the shell and not having to strap things down but still be able to access my bow/rifle in the drawers.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
15960742969271382474682013090022.jpg

Attachments

• 15960743912831857354395233420360.jpg
    15960743912831857354395233420360.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 15960744429284889530077845093222.jpg
    15960744429284889530077845093222.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 41

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
there's my $100 version, it ain't purdy, but it gets the job done (excuse all the junk) I'm about ready for a new pickup and if the deck systems were a little more affordable I would buy one in a heartbeat. I have spend the night in the bed of the truck several times and there's plenty of room. in fact I could likely fit all my gear for a week (,minus coolers) in my drawers and have the whole bed to sleep in.

River_Rat

FNG
Built my own! If I can build it anyone can lol. Cost less than $300. Haven't got to use it yet but will put it to the test on my elk hunt in september. Still have to water proof it. Thinking about roll on bed liner.

I’ve had a pack rat in my work trucks since 2005. Love the security and storage. You do lose a lot of bed space.