Trucks on ridges in Idaho unit 29?

Logestagg

FNG
Arriving in Idaho unit 29 on Oct 12 and have been doing a lot of map research. First time in that unit and was seeing plenty of trails/roads that appear to summit some of the ridges or at least a good way up. Would it be a mistake to park at the bottom and hike in only be passed by someone in their truck? Will have to adapt to the scenario when we arrive of course but was curious if anyone had experience there with avoiding or dealing with other hunters and how far people typically are driving in. Trying to make it a good hunt for us and also not bust up any common or predictable movements by others in the dark of the morning. Also curious about what kind of land owner attitudes and scenarios are at the base of the mountain? Is that like a “don’t even look over here” kind private land or is it just simply ag fields with nothing but pivots moving on them? Any help is appreciated and will report back on how it goes.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
October 1st forest service closes a lot of roads, not sure about unit 29, or if these roads are gated, something to look into

OP
L

Logestagg

FNG
October 1st forest service closes a lot of roads, not sure about unit 29, or if these roads are gated, something to look into
Ok good to know. That will solve some wondering how far to drive in.

I believe you may be miss reading the topo lines if you think you're gonna walk up entire hills.
Are you going for deer or elk?

OP
L

Logestagg

FNG
I believe you may be miss reading the topo lines if you think you're gonna walk up entire hills.
Are you going for deer or elk?
Mule deer. In the northern part of the unit it looks like roads/trails all over those mountains. Are people running those roads on atvs or trucks? Definitely not looking to walk up the steepest slope there. Will be on foot when leaving the truck. No horses or atvs.

OP
L

Logestagg

FNG
Check the US Forest Service travel map or BLM depending on the ownership. The closures and gates should be marked as well as private land boundaries.
I found that map and it is extremely helpful. Thank you.

Mule deer. In the northern part of the unit it looks like roads/trails all over those mountains. Are people running those roads on atvs or trucks? Definitely not looking to walk up the steepest slope there. Will be on foot when leaving the truck. No horses or atvs.
If there are open roads i would expect people to be driving them. The amount of people my vary.

Don't let that discourage you. I often find animals rite under peoples noses, most hunters are lazy.
Get up early and be in position to glass what you consider to be good habitat before daylight.

Animals are there you just have to find them.

If you get into a roadless area, you may often find that all the traffic chases them to you, Especially if you get there a half hour before the sun comes up and you’re just sitting when the traffic starts.

OP
L

Logestagg

FNG
If you get into a roadless area, you may often find that all the traffic chases them to you, Especially if you get there a half hour before the sun comes up and you’re just sitting when the traffic starts.
That is definitely a desired plan. We will probably need to be in there a few mornings to see where people are typically coming in from.

MJB

WKR
If you can drive and glass, drive and glass and glass some more, even spots you already cleared for deer, they just pop up out of nowhere.

I would not commit to a hike until I see the deer........yeah it may look like deer country but they are not there if they were you would of seen them.

Good luck. Will be in the same unit around the same time on foot. Hopefully we dont run into each other.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I was archery hunting elk, and in no way was being diligent in looking for deer.

You may want to do at least some light e scouting in other units for a back up plan.

Not to be doom and gloom. Again I wasn't glassing for deer.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I was archery hunting elk, and in no way was being diligent in looking for deer.

You may want to do at least some light e scouting in other units for a back up plan.

Not to be doom and gloom. Again I wasn't glassing for deer.
Unfortunately, there are no back up plans. The tag is only valid for that specific unit. Just have to hunt your butt off until you find the animals.

Unfortunately, there are no back up plans. The tag is only valid for that specific unit. Just have to hunt your butt off until you find the animals.

Ohh well, I definitely would rely on high pressure tactics. Because of the archery hunters before you.
I would definitely think getting in there a couple days prior to season would be beneficial. Get some eyes on them before majority of people roll in.

bsnedeker

WKR
This season I was camped near a gate into a closed road. Every. Single. Day. someone would drive past that gate and me and drive about 1.5 miles into that area on the closed road.

It annoyed me at first, but I was on elk every single day that dude drove right past.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk