Trucks/SUVs from the last 10 years with Manual Transmissions?

I have 2 Suzuki Samurai's both have 5 speed manual transmissions and I absolutely love them for going hunting... they are small enough to almost go down a 4wheeler path.... probably not exactly what ur looking for

Squamch

WKR
Dodge had mexican transmissions latest of the full-size trucks. Problem there is the shipping crate for the cummins is a POS. Great motor, ok trans, even the NV ones weren't fantastic, especially if you turned it up at all.

Autos are the way of the future, even semis run em now. They don't even get a lever, just buttons.

OP
Dustin the wind
I have 2 Suzuki Samurai's both have 5 speed manual transmissions and I absolutely love them for going hunting... they are small enough to almost go down a 4wheeler path.... probably not exactly what ur looking for

I currently use a 94 4runner. I like small but I still like the option of camping in it. 4runner is about as small as I can go for that.

OP
Dustin the wind
Nissan Frontier is an option. Not as reliable as a Tacoma but if you got one with low enough mileage you would probably be happy with it and they’re much cheaper than the Tacoma if you buy it used. The main thing I would say with any Nissan is to do your homework with regards to known problems, as there will often be some preventative maintenance you can do that will save you some major $$$ down the road

What is it about Nissans that make them unreliable?

I’m pondering the idea of getting a newer more reliable vehicle. My main requirement would be a MT, secondly large enough for a 5’10 man to sleep in.

What newer rides come with a manual besides a tacoma or jeep?
Just wondering why you prefer a standard transmission? Some personal reason, or do you just not trust the auto transmission?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Had a '01 Dodge Ram with cummins and NV4500 transmission. Loved that truck, but family outgrew it so got a '14 with an auto. The modern electric controlled transmissions are simple and easy to use. Pretty much most manufacturer will let you lock out the gears you don't want to use. If you just want to rod around in 2nd, just lock the auto in 2nd gear, not much difference than a manual. I believe Ford actually has a true manual mode for their autos which have been shown to be very strong and reliable since 2011. I bought an '05 Ford F250 Regular cab with the ZF6 manual transmission for a plow truck. It's a little nolstalgic, turned it into a little hunting rig to, don't mind if it gets some dents. But the modern auto trans are so much nicer with the ability to manual select a top gear, I do prefer them more now. When your coming off a hill with a load and want to drop a gear, just tap a button. As long as the computer agrees the truck won't go into redline, it'll drop the gear.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Everything I've ever owned have been stick shifts, but I'm an old guy! Started with an MGB I bought when I was in the Marines and had just come back from "365 and a wake-up" in the Viet Nam war.

Currently I have a 2010 F-350 (bought new), V-10 with a 6-speed stick as my truck, and a 2009 Wrangler (bought new) with a 6-speed stick as my primary vehicle. I like the control of managing the speed of my engine, especially with the mountain driving I do daily.

Tradchef

WKR
I know I always had my Tacoma’s and frontiers in manual. I know they are really limited these days. The ram 1500 and 2500 were good options too for a full size. I think they offered the Chevy Colorado in manual as well

Wellsdw

WKR
I may be wrong so, but I’m pretty sure you can’t get a manual Tacoma 2016-20’ in a 6 foot bed unless you get the access cab. Manual is only available in a crew cab with a 5’ bed. I tried to get a long bed crew cab manual in my 17’ and was told it wasn’t an option......

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Would be really interested to know what’s wrong. With frontiers as well. Saw one with 117k on it 2004 with the rear jump seats for 3500 near me the other day. It had a stick shift and I been throwing around the idea of picking it up for a hunting truck/toy

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I may be wrong so, but I’m pretty sure you can’t get a manual Tacoma 2016-20’ in a 6 foot bed unless you get the access cab. Manual is only available in a crew cab with a 5’ bed. I tried to get a long bed crew cab manual in my 17’ and was told it wasn’t an option......

That has been the problem as manufactures have phased out manual transmissions. They have relegated them to only vehicles with less desirable options. I had a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 6 speed manual. You could only get the manual with 4.7 v8 and not the better 5.7 hemi. Also the the 3.21 rear end gear ratio was the option. Frankly, it was a pretty gutless for a full size truck. That truck with the Hemi v8 and 3.92 rear end would have been great.

Manufactures have been competing on warranties for some time now, if you had one transmission that gave you a lot more control on how the engine revved, shock to the drivetrain, and how everything functioned together which would you pick? As the one who had to sell a vehicle to a consumer that is generally an idiot.

In case someone says it I don't believe anyone purchasing a new vehicle would take half the warranty for a standard transmission versus an auto.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never known a single person that has ever had to use the warranty for a manual transmission......ever. In fact I've never known anyone that had a problem with a manual even well after the warranty was over. Auto's on the other hand almost seems like warranty work is the expectation.......or needing that work soon after the warranty runs out. So I'm going to have to say "manuals" would be the better option for manufacturers. On the other hand, dealers make most their money in their repair shop.

Oh ya, I forgot.......when I was a kid we had a '66 Chevy with the three on the tree shifter. There were some bushings or something that used to bind in the steering column every now and then. That was the only problem I've ever had with a manual.

Last edited:
I've never known a single person that has ever had to use the warranty for a manual transmission......ever. In fact I've never known anyone that had a problem with a manual even well after the warranty was over. Auto's on the other hand almost seems like warranty work is the expectation.......or needing that work soon after the warranty runs out. So I'm going to have to say "manuals" would be the better option for manufacturers. On the other hand, dealers make most their money in their repair shop.

Oh ya, I forgot.......when I was a kid we had a '66 Chevy with the three on the tree shifter. There were some bushings or something that used to bind in the steering column every now and then. That was the only problem I've ever had with a manual.

I had a transmission replaced in 3/4 ton Cummins with 50k miles on it. It was covered under warranty. It was a demo model truck with the first run of those transmissions.

If you think my point is about keeping transmissions together for warranty tho your missing what I said.

Last edited:
I had to warranty my 5 speed trans in my then brand new ‘96 Tacoma.
But, no issues since.

I believe you can get a 4 door, long bed manual Tacoma...but only in Canada (wth btw)