True short action 7mm

Thinking of building a NULA clone on a 7mm short action. For weight, would like the cartridge to be a true short action, whatever that is these days. If possible would like to be close to 280 AI performance with 150 - 180 projectiles. Anyone able to point me towards a cartridge.

Was thinking about a 7ss Sherman, but sounds like there may be some issues going on right now with brass quality.

amassi

WKR
Not sure about brass issues, it's made by adg so should be gtg. Also comes with a 40* shoulder so no more fire forming.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thinking of building a NULA clone on a 7mm short action. For weight, would like the cartridge to be a true short action, whatever that is these days. If possible would like to be close to 280 AI performance with 150 - 180 projectiles. Anyone able to point me towards a cartridge.

Was thinking about a 7ss Sherman, but sounds like there may be some issues going on right now with brass quality.
For your specs the 7 SAUM or 7SS are your options. More options for SAUM brass, will be giving up 100+fps over the SS but in a NULA type rifle I doubt you are going for long range (1000yd) killing?

For a true short action and if hunting under 500 yds the 7-08 will perform just as well with even more component availability…

OP
F
For your specs the 7 SAUM or 7SS are your options. More options for SAUM brass, will be giving up 100+fps over the SS but in a NULA type rifle I doubt you are going for long range (1000yd) killing?

For a true short action and if hunting under 500 yds the 7-08 will perform just as well with even more component availability…
How is 7-08 with higher weight projectiles? Looks like they would be fairly deep into the powder column.

Defiantly not going for long range hunting shots. 3-400, of course with distant follow ups if needed.

OP
F
Not sure about brass issues, it's made by adg so should be gtg. Also comes with a 40* shoulder so no more fire forming.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
From what I read today, it sounds like maybe an issue with primer pockets. I'll have to do more digging when I have more time.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old browning 7 wsm. I get around 3025-3050 fps with 160 accubonds and it’s been a really great hunting rifle. I really like the cartridge but it’s essentially dead. Not sure why it didn’t make it but I probably wouldn’t build another in it now. Hornady brass is still available occasionally but that’s about it and it’s hard to come by. I have components but when the barrel goes I’ll probably move on

zr600

FNG
The Sherman short issue with the brass is the chamber are to big for the size of the brass. So adg made all there saum based brass smaller to suit gun works tight chamber. Initially the adg and Sherman brass was good, I believe this was 3 years ago or so and was the 30 degree shoulder too, so you had to fire form it to the 40. Anyways I believe if you load lite while fire forming it will be ok. No the Sherman’s I would take some speed off what they claim but they are good cartridge. Specially the ss and sst for true short action magnums. The issue is the brass measures .545 at the web and the chamber is .553 currently. He’s going to make new dies and reamers so the chamber will be .550-.551 the brass will still be .545. Probably what gun works chamber is at im guessing.

Last edited:
The Sherman short issue with the brass is the chamber are to big for the size of the brass. So adg made all there saum based brass smaller to suit gun works tight chamber. Initially the adg and Sherman brass was good, I believe this was 3 years ago or so and was the 39 degree shoulder too, so you had to fire form it to the 40. Anyways I believe if you load lite while fire forming it will be ok. No the Sherman’s I would take some speed off what they claim but they are good cartridge. Specially the ss and sst for true short action magnums. The issue is the brass measures .545 at the web and the chamber is .553 currently. He’s going to make new dies and reamers so the chamber will be .550-.551 the brass will still be .545. Probably what gun works chamber is at im guessing.
That’s a lot of good technical information!

I have a 7 SAUM and like it up to about 175 gr bullets. For heavier stuff I would say go 7wsm or med/ long action to get the velocity or just a LA cartridge.

I also have a 7-08 and load it lighter up to 145 gr, many go to 160 just fine, but I like the lighter stuff in it. This rifle is a Fieldcraft (3” COAL and 1:8.4 twist) but I wouldn’t want anything heavier since the recoil is noticeable in a light rifle (no brake for weight 😉)

What is the OP planning to hunt? If not elk/moose/brown bear then I vote 7-08 for a NULA weight rifle.

Last edited:

zr600

FNG
Well he said he wanted to get 280ai speeds out of a true short action. I think the 7 ss is the way I would go then if that’s the case. Ritch Sherman will say he likes the 175 elite hunter the best in that but they will run the 180s good also. I take it you currently reload correct? Because that’s your only option for the Sherman currently. I would go to Facebook and search up the Facebook page Sherman Wildcat Cartridge’s. Ritch the designer is in there every day, check out his website too, can call and talk to him he’s very good about answering the phone. Also if you don’t need quit the speed of the mag, you could do the 7mm-08 like mentioned or even do the ackely version for a little extra speed.

OP
F
That’s a lot of good technical information!

I have a 7 SAUM and like it up to about 175 gr bullets. For heavier stuff I would say go 7wsm or med/ long action to get the velocity or just a LA cartridge.

I also have a 7-08 and load it lighter up to 145 gr, many go to 160 just fine, but I like the lighter stuff in it. This rifle is a Fieldcraft (3” COAL and 1:8.4 twist) but I wouldn’t want anything heavier since the recoil is noticeable in a light rifle (no brake for weight 😉)

What is the OP planning to hunt? If not elk/moose/brown bear then I vote 7-08 for a NULA weight rifle.
I am planning to use it for whitetail to elk. Moose if the opportunity ever came about. If I ws to go for Brown Bear I would probably just go up to a larger caliber.

Ram94

WKR
If you’re looking at <500yards, I’d say go 7-08. Load it up with 160 weight class and kill anything on the continent. There’s a fair bit of info on here around the 7-08 with 162gr eld-m.

Which BTW is what I am using. May be a bit biased towards it, but there is a reason I went that way.

Last edited:
I am planning to use it for whitetail to elk. Moose if the opportunity ever came about. If I ws to go for Brown Bear I would probably just go up to a larger caliber.
Do you realistically hunt elk all the time? Or is it just a possibility?

If you are going custom I think your solution would be what Melvin Forbes considered the favorite chambering for his NULA in .284 win.

Personally in an ultralight I would prefer a .264/6.5mm as ideal balance for recoil and 500yd max range (which is realistic in such a light set up)

My 7mm SAUM is on a 8# rifle and is a better long range (500++) shooter and the higher BC actually makes a difference

OP
F
Do you realistically hunt elk all the time? Or is it just a possibility?

If you are going custom I think your solution would be what Melvin Forbes considered the favorite chambering for his NULA in .284 win.

Personally in an ultralight I would prefer a .264/6.5mm as ideal balance for recoil and 500yd max range (which is realistic in such a light set up)

My 7mm SAUM is on a 8# rifle and is a better long range (500++) shooter and the higher BC actually makes a difference
Elk is high on the list once I am done with school and get back to working full time, hopefully on a 3 day work week.

I have looked at the .284 Win. I am hoping to use some of the newer projectiles in order to take advantage of higher BC. To hold onto energy at the further distances, for a lesser need of precise ranging. Here in the East that is not as big a dal, but would like to have more forgiveness on snap shooting when stalking or even longer shots from a blind.

7mm is my personal choice. I see too many possible issues with a 6.5 on some of the larger animals, that I intended to hunt.

I agree that a heavier rifle for longer range makes sense. That is why I am not looking at using this for a dedicated longer range shooter. That is not really my thing, along with not having many places close to really practice that especially on angles.

There are many ways to create the perfect mouse trap for each person. Im just trying to take advantage of all the options that are available to make the best mouse trap to me. In reality I could get away with hunting everything that I want to with a .308 or 30-06.

I could just seat bullets out further on a cartridge and have the bore reamed to accommodate. But, I would like for the cartridge with High BC bullets to fit in a true short action and not have to deal with issues in magazines.