True Shot Coach

Have you seen this gadget by dontchokearchery? Has anyone seen one of these in action? I won't say I don't have any bad habits, but i know I do. This looks like something that could help a bit with grip, but I am not sure it is something I would want to carry in the field.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I actually met this guy!!! He is a Texan that was passing through during season on a hunt and he stopped in the shop I work at. You have NOTHING for a GRIP with this gadget. You can't even run a finger sling. Even after the shot because of the design...if you need a follow up arrow you are going to find it difficult to get ahold of the bow again because it doesn't let you close your hand.

What bow are you shooting rckymtnguy? Lets start there!

Yes..I use it..I think its the best tool out to help all archers. I have shot all my best scores indoors with it. last weekend at state I shot 300 60x..I have a lot of shooters trying it and there scores have went up to. as for griping or holding the bow...YES you can hold your bow and load arrows just find, it does feel different at first....Gadget? it is far from that..I sold one to a hunter that has been shooting some vegas rounds with his hunting bow, scores 270's first week with it, scores went up to 285 290...he said its the best $20 he has spent.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I looked this up and went to his instruction page.

The "proper" grip is not just about hand position but also about tension in the hand. It takes tension in the hand to have your hand and fingers the way he does on his website. The proper hand position and softness is not that hard to learn or teach.

I will say that after working and being in an archery pro shop for many years, shooting on staff in many tournaments, coaching many kids and adults, and running many tournaments........one of biggest flaws an archer has is his grip. This is also one of the places a person could make the biggest improvements......fairly easily too.

OP
rckymtnguy
I shoot an old Bowtech Patriot VFT.
For $20 I think it something that I would give a try, if it improves the consistency in my grip then that is great. I just don't want another thing to be dependent on, especially in the back country.

Bowhnter7 you right about the biggest flaw in most archers is the grip...and the TSC helps that. the other thing the TSC does is lets you have the most consistent and relaxed hand and bow arm...It dose not put tension in your hand...I know I will not shoot a tournament without the TSC.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Bowhnter7 you right about the biggest flaw in most archers is the grip...and the TSC helps that. the other thing the TSC does is lets you have the most consistent and relaxed hand and bow arm...It dose not put tension in your hand...I know I will not shoot a tournament without the TSC.

Is your hand in the position his is in on the website?

If so it takes tension to stick your fingers out. Just raise you hand up right now without your bow and look at the back of your hand. Act like your holding your bow.
Stick your fingers out and watch the back of your hand....see the tension......then let your fingers relax and fall down naturally, watch the tension go away.

That's all I'm saying from what I saw on his instructional page on his website. His fingers stick out, it takes tension to do that. Many people get confused with the proper grip. Some seem to think if they just stick their fingers straight out they have the proper grip. Well they may be doing better than choking the grip like they used to but it's still not correct.

As I'm sure you know there is spot on the thumb pad we are trying to concentrate on because that's where the bone from the forearm comes into play. From there it's all about letting that spot form into the grip on that pad and not influencing it any further.

If it's helping you be more sucsessful then that's great and it's serving it's purpose for you.

Is your hand in the position his is in on the website?

If so it takes tension to stick your fingers out. Just raise you hand up right now without your bow and look at the back of your hand. Act like your holding your bow.
Stick your fingers out and watch the back of your hand....see the tension......then let your fingers relax and fall down naturally, watch the tension go away.

That's all I'm saying from what I saw on his instructional page on his website. His fingers stick out, it takes tension to do that. Many people get confused with the proper grip. Some seem to think if they just stick their fingers straight out they have the proper grip. Well they may be doing better than choking the grip like they used to but it's still not correct.

As I'm sure you know there is spot on the thumb pad we are trying to concentrate on because that's where the bone from the forearm comes into play. From there it's all about letting that spot form into the grip on that pad and not influencing it any further.

If it's helping you be more sucsessful then that's great and it's serving it's purpose for you.

No...May be you might want to try one..Adam Is one of the top shooters around, the pic. you are talking about is to show you where the bow grip goes ...NOT to hold your fingers out...your fingers rest on the TSC
I think he know how to grip a bow...
Pro Division Champion - IFAA North American Field Championship
State Champion- Texas State NAA Field Championship
State record - Texas State NAA Field Championship
2nd Place – TFAA Indoor State championship – Pro Division

2nd Place – TFAA Outdoor State Field championship – Pro Division
3rd Place – TFAA Indoor State championship – Pro Division

State Champion- Texas State NFAA Outdoor Championship, Pro Division
All Region Champion- NFAA Shoot Across Texas

2004 US Archery Team Member, ranked #3
2nd Place- Gainesville ASA 3-D, Open A class Gainesville, Florida
Texas State Archer of the Year- Texas State Archery Association
2nd place Texas State NFAA Outdoor Championship Pro division
State Champion- Texas NAA Outdoor FITA

Compound
3rd Place- NAA National ranking and member of the 2004 U.S. Archery Team
7th Place- NAA National Outdoor Championships Reading, PA
3rd Place- Gold Cup USAT Event in Bloomfield, New Jersey
2nd Place- NAA National Field Championships Tippecanoe, Ohio
State Champion- Texas State NFAA Outdoor Championship Waco, Texas
State Champion- Texas State NAA Field Championship Columbus, Texas
State Champion- Texas State NFAA 900 round Irving, Texas

Olympic Style Recurve
State Record- Recurve limited NFAA indoor
All Region Champion- NFAA Shoot Across Texas
State Champion- Texas State Indoor Championship NFAA tournament in Killeen, Texas
First Place- Shoot Across Texas Indoor NFAA tournament in Victoria, Texas
First Place- Shoot Across Texas Indoor NFAA tournament in Arlington, Texas
First Place- Shoot Across Texas Indoor NFAA tournament in Houston, Texas
4th Place- Southern Regional National Indoor Championship in College Station, Texas
3rd Place- Texas State Indoor Championship in Ft. Worth, Texas

2002 Accomplishments
Olympic Style Recurve
State Champion- Texas State field Championship in Columbus, Texas
3rd Place- Texas State Indoor Championship in Austin, Texas
3rd Place- Lone Star FITA in Austin, Texas
11th Place- Arizona Cup USAT Event in Phoenix, Arizona
10th Place- Texas Shootout USAT Event in College Station, Texas
17th Place- California Cup USAT Event in Sacramento, California
15th Place- Overall National Ranking