Truly waterproof camera

tuffcity

WKR
Looking for a camera I can snorkel with, dip in a creek and take pics as well as just general day to day stuff. Any recommendations? I see there are a couple of 2 year old threads but what's the current best bet? $500 give or take a couple of hundred. Point and shoot or similar with some manual options preferred.

Opinions? Advice?

thanks.

RC

These are non current NOS underwater housings. I ended up picking one of these up for a Nikon P7100 several years ago and picked up the camera on ebay, total investment was roughly $200 +/-
I've used it in Hawaii and I've used it in the lakes around here. There's a learning curve to creating your settings as most of the cameras a guy would be looking at don't have auto settings for underwater, but there are youtube videos on it. I'm far from an expert and I don't know what you're experience is underwater, its alot of fun but you're really at the mercy of lighting, clarity, and depth. I'm pretty satisfied with the set up, I feel like its a little better option than the out of the box water proof cameras in the price range.
If I was doing it now I'd probably look at the Canon G7X and the corresponding housing.
A Gopro and set of red filters doesn't do a terrible job either, they don't have the range but they seem pretty forgiving.
I know that's not quite what your asking, but I'm throwing it out there as food for thought. Here is what my set up is capable of. The butter fly fish pic looks out of focus, but there was actually cold water and warm water from a volcanic feature mixing and thats exactly what it looked like.

Edit: I've had no issues with my housing, its worked perfectly, looking at feedback it looks like somebody did though so a guy would have to take that into consideration and check some reviews.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I have an older Panasonic LUMIX waterproof camera that I bought for rainy Alaska and other fishing trips. It actually takes pretty decent under water salmon and trout videos snd pics. I never was concerned about getting it wet. I imagine they’ve made new improvements in the new models.

I have an old go pro that does ok but nothing compare to my lumix. Go pro probably have improved?

Do a web search under best waterproof cameras and you’ll learn a lot about different features. I looked over a bunch of reviews before picking mine.

Good morning. I am out of the store today, Saturday 5/14 back Monday 5/16. Give me a call to discuss the options
Happy to help
Joel
516-217-1000