Trusting a Surprise Shot

Gorp2007

WKR
I’m retraining myself to use my Nock 2 It properly to achieve a surprise shot and I can tell when I’m doing it right because I end up saying holy shit twice. Once when the shot finally breaks and then again when I see how well my shots are hitting.

So for those of you who’ve made the switch, how long did it take to get comfortable?

Follow on question, when did you feel comfortable not using the wrist tether?

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Never have used the wrist tether feels weird to me but I started in January with the Nock 2 It and silver back combo finally got to where i could sell the silver back because I was making surprise shots almost every time. So I sold the silverback about a month ago to buy arrow fletching equipment. The only time that I have trouble with pulling through is when it is super windy but that is just something i need to work on.

dkime

WKR
I’m retraining myself to use my Nock 2 It properly to achieve a surprise shot and I can tell when I’m doing it right because I end up saying holy shit twice. Once when the shot finally breaks and then again when I see how well my shots are hitting.

So for those of you who’ve made the switch, how long did it take to get comfortable?

Follow on question, when did you feel comfortable not using the wrist tether?

Depending on how much you shoot on an actual day to day basis you could be looking at as little as 3 months to 2 years. Use the resistance release to get accommodated with learning how to properly execute a shot but I would encourage you at some point in the distant future to shift you paradigm a little bit. Releases of this nature make it very simple to execute a shot properly but what they will teach you more than anything is whether or not you are getting into correct alignment (Draw length, loop length, peep height, etc) by way of how easy it is for you to execute this type of release and do so while obtaining a high degree of accuracy and a proper tune. If one of those attributes are not in order you will struggle with gaining a consistent tune or a high level of accuracy. (*accruacy is second because we all have our own perception of what is good enough)

The paradigm shift I am talking about is not relying on the shot to be a surprise because that's not what this release should be teaching you. It should be teaching you to execute your shot while letting the pin float. We don't draw our bow back to sit there and aim it, we draw it back to shoot it. Properly executed shots will hit the middle more often than poorly executed shots. Keep up the good work.

stonewall

WKR
i first bought the evolution in 2017. then a hinge in 2018. i tried going back to the wrist strap in 2019 for hunting, but my target panic was so bad i would miss by feet, not inches...so i hunted with the hinge. however all this time, on the hinge, i commanded the shot more than properly executing.

finally just here recently (knock on wood), i have been doing a great with shot execution. and letting down when the shot isn't there. i've only had 2 arrows in the last month that i ripped through the hinge (i remember them distinctly). granted I'm still not a great shot, but I'm better than me a year ago. something i started saying to myself, "process over outcome" - that actually helped fwiw

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
something i started saying to myself, "process over outcome" - that actually helped fwiw

Yeah, I started telling myself "just trust the process" before even starting the shot. Which, along with the fact that I didn't launch any arrows to Jesus, really seems to help.

stonewall

WKR
Yeah, I started telling myself "just trust the process" before even starting the shot. Which, along with the fact that I didn't launch any arrows to Jesus, really seems to help.
lol. my very first arrow on the 3d course of train to hunt nationals in 2018... we had to hold for 60 secs and then shoot. it was a 35 yard broadside shot. maybe a sheep target (don't remember, but something of decent size). i held the 60secs, then started shot process. panicked. jerked bow. missed high and right by at least 6 feet. didn't even bother to look for that arrow.