Try Insoles or Return?

topher89

WKR
I order a pair of Lowa Tibets from rei.com and need some advice. I tried on a 10.5 in store and they were tight, so I ordered a 10.5 wide off the internet. Right boot is perfect in every way. My left boot is off though. It feels like the shoe is not matching my arch and there is a weird pressure point in my arch area. Not painfully so but if I notice it at home on carpet, it will definitely be a problem on the trail. I had the same issue with the regular 10.5s but thought it was linked to the tightness and would go away with the Wides.

So, should I return and go back to square one or do you guys think an insole would help? My worry is that it is a structural shoe problem that will be there no matter what insole I have

Jimbob

WKR
Return and keep searching.If no other boots feel better then go back to the lowa's. Why not try and find a pair of boots that fit perfect to begin with?

I just scored a great deal on a pair of scrapas ($200 off) and ordered them. If they don't feel GREAT when I put them on then I will return them. I would rather pay an extra $200 and have perfecting boots. I have tried saving money on boots and won't do it again. If nothing fits perfect then take what you can get, otherwise hold out for perfect.

GKPrice

Banned
Generally, I would agree with Jimbob - are you describing the fit with stock insoles ? Like most boots, even the high end ones, the insoles are pretty much crap - try SUPERFEET insoles and see if the left feels any different - Lowa is as good a boot maker as any of them, sometimes it's just a matter of a fine point or two that defines "comfort" FOR YOUR FEET - there are lots of boot companies, one will eventually feel right if the Lowa doesn't - BOOTS is where patience is a virtue in a lot of cases - for the record, I now use "heel that pain" insoles, never happier

wapitibob

WKR
You have a year to return those boots, I'd try a different insole first. I like Dr Sholes athletic $ and Lathrop $$. The Lathrop taking up less volume of the two. I no longer use Sole and Superfeet; too hard and slick for me.

Akicita

WKR
I order a pair of Lowa Tibets from rei.com and need some advice. I tried on a 10.5 in store and they were tight, so I ordered a 10.5 wide off the internet. Right boot is perfect in every way. My left boot is off though. It feels like the shoe is not matching my arch and there is a weird pressure point in my arch area. Not painfully so but if I notice it at home on carpet, it will definitely be a problem on the trail. I had the same issue with the regular 10.5s but thought it was linked to the tightness and would go away with the Wides.

So, should I return and go back to square one or do you guys think an insole would help? My worry is that it is a structural shoe problem that will be there no matter what insole I have

Go back to the store and be sure to walk a mile or so with any boot you have now laced tightly before going in. Then try 11 Regular width and walk with them in the store for 10 to 15 minutes in the store. If you continue to feel discomfort in the arch try an 11.5 if that doesn't work the boot isn't right for you. With a longer boot you will get more width between the 1st and 5th metatarsals and more relief in arch discomfort. . . . I wear a size to a size and half larger in all my high end hiking and mountaineering boots.

Last edited:
I'd start by measuring your feet with a brannock device. The most common mistake I see in my store is people wearing the wrong size. If you've done so already, keep trying on other brands and go up a half size till something fits.