Try shortening your draw length in off season

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Shorten your draw length by 1/2in and give it a few weeks. A lot of people are shooting a longer draw length for ego purpose. Or want more speed. I know I was. Or by mistake measuring for draw length depends highly on front arm position. Not an exact science at all. I can make most draw lengths look good by moving my front arm. It's amazing how much better I shoot and how much less target panic I get with a slightly shorter draw length then I was shooting before. Being able to push and pull more. And use less shoulder muscles extended way out helps steady everything. While it's the off season I highly recommend trying this and see the results you get. Might change everything for you.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Shorten your draw length by 1/2in and give it a few weeks. A lot of people are shooting a longer draw length for ego purpose. Or want more speed. I know I was. Or by mistake measuring for draw length depends highly on front arm position. Not an exact science at all. I can make most draw lengths look good by moving my front arm. It's amazing how much better I shoot and how much less target panic I get with a slightly shorter draw length then I was shooting before. Being able to push and pull more. And use less shoulder muscles extended way out helps steady everything. While it's the off season I highly recommend trying this and see the results you get. Might change everything for you.
GREAT advice right here. I went from 30" to 29.5" last summer after shooting an uphill target at TAC and noticed I had trouble finding the back wall. As soon as I got home I shortened it to 29.5 and couldn't believe the difference it made with my shooting the next day.

Marble

WKR
When shooting up or down hill, just close your stance slightly and it will give you another 1/4" or so.

The correct draw length creates comfort and strength.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Or how about just have a professional check your DL? If you already have the correct DL, shortening it would be counter-productive.

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Or how about just have a professional check your DL? If you already have the correct DL, shortening it would be counter-productive.
I am a professional and draw length is not an exact measure for most people or they are in between sizes. We get you as close as possible but it's up to you to fine tune that and have a consistent form and front arm position and grip and anchor point. Changing any of that will effect draw length a short amount. Going down a half size and shooting for a few weeks will tell you that and is a good idea.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member

I agree. I made this change awhile back and improved steadiness big time.

Ignore the juvenile comments..

Rob5589

WKR
The opposite can also be true. I drew 30" for years only to discover that 30.5 was a better length for me. Suggesting a large number of people over draw for ego or speed is a bold statement.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The opposite can also be true. I drew 30" for years only to discover that 30.5 was a better length for me. Suggesting a large number of people over draw for ego or speed is a bold statement.
I’d guess the amount of people with a draw too long is wayyyyyy over 50%. Guys wrapping their thumbs around their necks, etc. Just look at the “how’s my form” posts on here and archerytalk. The vast majority are leaning back, a telltale sign of too long a draw.

sndmn11

WKR

I'm here in this. More people I see shoot could stand to gain an inch in draw length because someone taught them to have a significant bend in their bow arm, a high elbow in back is the next most popular offense costing draw length.

Holocene

WKR
Interesting post topic, and I think the broader message here could be "this summer, experiment with your draw length in a systematic way and see what the effects are on your archery form and downrange groups."

So maybe do some shooting on slopes, uphill, downhill. Maybe change draw modules/stop positions. Maybe when you get in a comfort zone there, really geek out and start twisting/untwisting your string or cranking/uncranking limb bolts to refine your draw length in 1/16" increments until your float is ridiculously good. Refining my draw is the #1 priority for this off season, and I can tell you I'm now sensitive to a 1/16" change in draw measured on the draw board. There's a lot of room to refine between the 1/2" draw measurements that bows provide. Not everyone is built in 1/2" increment draw lengths.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried shortening my draw length a few times over the years, but in the end it all comes down to consistent accuracy for me. So I've always ended up back to the longer draw. I just want it to feel the most natural and comfortable to me while maintaining a high degree of accuracy. I shouldn't have to think about that in the field. It should feel natural and comfortable.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I'm here in this. More people I see shoot could stand to gain an inch in draw length because someone taught them to have a significant bend in their bow arm, a high elbow in back is the next most popular offense costing draw length.
This was me, was taught to have a major bend in my bow arm, shot last year this way. I knew it wasnt right so i gained about an inch this year in draw length and have never shot better.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
This was me, was taught to have a major bend in my bow arm, shot last year this way. I knew it wasnt right so i gained about an inch this year in draw length and have never shot better.

wapitibob

WKR
Interesting post topic, and I think the broader message here could be "this summer, experiment with your draw length in a systematic way and see what the effects are on your archery form and downrange groups."

So maybe do some shooting on slopes, uphill, downhill. Maybe change draw modules/stop positions. Maybe when you get in a comfort zone there, really geek out and start twisting/untwisting your string or cranking/uncranking limb bolts to refine your draw length in 1/16" increments until your float is ridiculously good. Refining my draw is the #1 priority for this off season, and I can tell you I'm now sensitive to a 1/16" change in draw measured on the draw board. There's a lot of room to refine between the 1/2" draw measurements that bows provide. Not everyone is built in 1/2" increment draw lengths.

This is the guy to listen to.
Moving a module in 1/2" increments and saying you're one or the other isn't a viable option nor a solution.

Scoot

WKR
This advice is good advice for many. However, it's in line with telling everyone to lose 15 lbs. It's great advice for the majority of Americans, but what kind of advice is it for those folks who are ideal or lower weight? How does the 90 LB weakling do with that advice?

Broad sweeping statements/advice typically apply well to some, but poorly to others.

I'm 5' 10" and always shot 28" DL. I started really practicing and learning proper form and it was clear 28" was too short so I went to 28.5". Now that feels short. I don't know...I may just go back to shooting rifles :)

Last edited:

kloppy

FNG
I too experienced an improvement going from 29.5 to 29, but will also echo @Holocene that there are other factors to consider. To add a few: D-loop length, what type of release you use, how you hold the release, etc.