Trying new boot to replace Salomon

Just giving a heads up for those of you who may be looking for an alternative to their Salomon Quest boots. I know many including me whose feet don't like a lot of mountain boots but would like a more durable and longer lasting boot than something like the Quest 4D. For me personally, I've found I have major heel issues with stiffer boots with pronounced heel pockets, and have tried a few (Namely Scarpa R-Evo, more recently the Lowa Camino, even a Zamberlan Cresta 1111 which was another great boot I haven't heard much about but didn't fit my foot well).

Anyway, I was at the local Sierra and stumbled across some Asolo boots and tried a few on and my foot liked the fit, however I didn't like the particular models they had, but it got me to looking. I found a model called the Greenwood GV that looked promising and decided to order a pair. Here are my initial thoughts and some specs.

The boot caught my eye because it has an all leather Perwanger upper (rough cut, with a smooth leather gusset). I wanted leather with minimal stitching. It has a rubber toe rand (works for my needs). It also has a Vibram megagrip outsole, with a slightly less aggressive tread pattern. The Megagrip compound is softer and grippier but supposedly wears long. It also has all metal lacing hardware, and a 2 zone system, which I noticed many Asolo boots did not. Gore-tex lined and Uninsulated. It has a 2 layer EVA midsole, which I can see as being a potential downside when considering long term durability, but it also creates a slightly more forgiving boot which I was looking for. The heel fit of the boot is similar to the Quest which I like, and the mid and toe box are fairly narrow which works for my foot. Just a little wiggle room in the toe. Boot also feels similar in stiffness to a Quest, so not overdone but still should provide enough rigidity and protection for on and off trail.

Maybe most surprising to me was the weight. Even with the leather upper the boot came in at 1lb. 11 oz in size 12. That's all of 1 ounce heaver than the Quest in the same size. For reference, the Camino was 1 lb. 15 oz. per boot. Guessing the EVA plays a factor here.

Boot appears well made and feels great out of the box. Going to start testing it out soon in the CO mountains and will see how it performs and holds up, but wanted to put this out there as I wasn't able to find much on this boot before I purchased it. If anyone has personal experience with the Greenwood GV, please share, thanks.

kpk

WKR
Asolo is one of the brands I've always wanted to try but haven't yet.

I recently got the Mammut Kento after recommendation here. They fit well albeit maybe slightly narrow - we'll see when I get more miles in them. They're definitely stiffer than my Salomons were but the fit is pretty comparable for me.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Thanks for your post and I have not heard of Asolo brand.

I'll add them to the BCL (boot candidate list).

Eddie

I have a pair of asolos, neutrons, at first I hated them now after two years of hunting and wearing to work everyday they are amazing, water proofing isn’t great but I haven’t found any that is after a year with these fabric boots. I’d look seriously at another pair.

prm

WKR
Thanks. Always looking for boots to supplement my Salomons.

How is the grip? Doesn’t appear to be a very aggressive pattern.

Last edited:
OP
Markshark17
Thanks. Always looking for boots to supplement my Salomons.

How is the grip? Doesn’t appear to be a very aggressive pattern.
not very aggressive so may not be the best on steep, soggy terrain, but the compound seems very sticky and the sole break does work on the steep downhill stuff. It's been very good on all the on-trail stuff I've done so far. I think steep uphill in wet conditions might where you lose a little but haven't had a chance to really test that out