Trying Out a Bivy

ljalberta

WKR
I'm giving the sleep system a little changeup this year, and am looking to try out a bivy/tarp combo for some summer scouting and possibly early season hunting this year. I'll be running a EE revelation (also new this season) and xtherm for the most part. I've read through some great and informative threads on here, but looking for a little more insight. It's quite dry where I'm hunting so it's more so to deal with the bugs and the odd spray of water under the tarp. I'm also aiming to keep the price under $120. I've been looking primarily at the Borah Ultralight or possibly the Jimmy Tarps Summit bivy.

I was planning on getting a center-zip, with stake out loops at the top and bottom (both mods that Borah is willing to do).
I am unfamiliar however with the Argon materials. The website indicates both are fairly breathable, with the Argon 90 being slightly more water resistant. I am wondering if that means the Argon 67 is therefore more breathable? I'm looking only for moderate water resistance, but breathability I think is a larger factor for me. Does anyone have any input, recommendations, or experience working with these materials or either the Borah or Jimmy Tarps bivys? If anyone has any other thoughts or recommendations on bivys I'm all ears as well.

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
If you are just looking for bug protection check out the Borah bug bivy. I have one and love it. $70, ~ 7oz, and extremely breathable. I use it in my Seek Outside LBO instead of the nest when I don't have another family member with me. It works well with my EE Relevation.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
I considered a bug bivy, but I think I'd prefer a little water and wind resistance as well. It's good to hear you're happy with your Borah product though. Thank you.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would favor a larger tarp and bug bivy myself. The mesh does a good job minimizing wind and adding a bit of warmth. Although a nice breathable , water resistant bivy is not a bad thing, just realize your milage may vary on it. It may work great, or it may feel clammy and damp.

No experience with the Jimmy Tarp bivy but I've had several Borah bivys (bug, M90, eVent) and currently carrying the SnowySide eVent bivy for my tarp bivy combo.

His work is solid and he did a center zip for me also. Works great and that way it matches my Slick Bag. Super pleased with the bivy and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from Borah.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
Thank-you gentlemen. Sounds like Borah Gear has a solid reputation, and that the water resistant bivy vs bug bivy will be one of those personal experience things. I appreciate the feedback. I pulled the trigger on a centre-zip Argon 90 bivy and will give it a shot this summer. If I find it clammy and moving to a bug net, I don't think I'll have a hard time getting rid of it.