Trying out simpler longbows.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve been having a lot of interest in trying out some mild r/d longbows and asl’s. Saw that samick makes a longbow that has a small low wrist grip and 68” which are the main features I’m curious about trying. I understand like any mass market bow it probably won’t be the smoothest or fastest. But curious is anyone has any experience or other options. Thanks.

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
For sure used is the best bet, just curious what else may be out there. The old mountain Mesa is a hybrid r/d bow I’ve had one. But I’m looking to try more traditional style longbows.

oldgoat

WKR
I've had dozens of used bows, some I resold for more than I paid, it is the very best way to try bows, unless you have really deep pockets, then by all means buy new! Just don't pay more than 60% of retail value unless it just has amazing wood or exact specifications you are looking for, then I go up to as much as 65-70%.

Reactions: GLB

GLB

WKR
Go to RMS Gear. They have a lot of used bows for sale. Great people to work with.

I recently got into ASL’s and wood arrows myself. It’s an absolute riot to shoot, and I giggle every time I shoot it

but…

It is definitely not simpler. At least to shoot and hit things that is. It’s got a bit of a learning curve, and they’re not real forgiving.

Like I said, I love mine, but I’ll be hunting this year with my little 56” hybrid. That short bow is still more forgiving and accurate than my ASLs, and draws smoother (I’m sticking with the wood arrows though).

I Had the same interest, and ended up purchasing a Galaxy Black Ridge 70" Longbow from Lancaster. Budget friendly at $179 shipped.

My frame of comparison is my 60" Bodnik Slick Stick, and 64" Toelke Whip.

The 70" is another enjoyable longbow experience. It does have a different feel to it compared to my other longbows.

This is the Black Ridge unstrung,
LpxnBuZ.jpg

In use,
Sf7tBFW.jpg

7dz0j9G.jpg

Here's a little video review,

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to fix any issues by shooting these bows, and my use of the word simple was more aimed at the simple design of a straight bow or slight r/d with a slim straight grip. Thank you very much for that info on the galaxy I will keep that in mind and see what comes up in the classified over the next couple weeks!

Ddog

WKR
I've owned a few different makes of mild d/r bows from 64-68", with a 66" Robertson Mystical being my favorite. Of course I sold it years ago like a dummy. Now shooting a 66" Mohawk in the same specs when I'm not shooting my selfbows. I find the design smooth and very forgiving and I love the simple lines.