Trying out the new Lyman

So last year I picked up a Lyman front sight but didn't draw so I never installed it. I will draw an elk tag this year so I have debating putting it on. My hesitation was due to how deep the housing is. I felt it made it quite dark looking through it. I had an idea to open the top to let in more light. Glad I did. The fine point insert made it easy to keep it right on target without covering to much. My first 2 hit high which I was expecting as I also swapped out my rear base for a taller one to bring my peep down. Adjusted and put 2 in right in there.0318191357_HDR.jpg0318191400_HDR.jpg

Awesome idea. I just installed this front sight on mine as well and was concerned about the lack of light int he housing. Did you take that to get machined in or did you do that yourself? Did you instal it backwards to get that cut in there as well?

OP
MuleyFever
Awesome idea. I just installed this front sight on mine as well and was concerned about the lack of light int he housing. Did you take that to get machined in or did you do that yourself? Did you instal it backwards to get that cut in there as well?

I had a guy at work cut it on the end mill we have in the shop. Its cut right behind the internal threads. I put it that way so the light would be on the front view of the pin and not the back.

I had a guy at work cut it on the end mill we have in the shop. Its cut right behind the internal threads. I put it that way so the light would be on the front view of the pin and not the back.

Thanks for the idea. I have mine installed and ready to shoot this year but if it bothers me enough Ill look into following suit. I have the crosshair insert in mine with some sight glow paint that gives it a little more pop in low light.

OP
MuleyFever
Thanks for the idea. I have mine installed and ready to shoot this year but if it bothers me enough Ill look into following suit. I have the crosshair insert in mine with some sight glow paint that gives it a little more pop in low light.

What paint did you use? I was thinking of changing my color to yellow.