Trying to decide between CO units

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys

Hoping to find some insight here on deciding between a couple of CO units for archery mule deer. Planning a solo trip for '21. The two I'm looking at are 65 and 751 (north end of unit). Not looking for info on spots. I'll scout and learn that by experience.

Thinking along the lines of realistic expectations going at it alone. i.e. 751 looks a LOT more rugged, but also look like there's a lot more promising looking habitat., vs 65 which looks to be easier on access but fewer/smaller potential spots. Am I on the right track with that kind of assumption?

They both have the same rough number of hunters, but does the terrain allow for one or the other to feel less pressured? Is there a livestock presence in one or the other? Parameters like this.,..

Just trying to look at the two from a high level of comparison and see if I can get a better understanding from those who have the experience I'm lacking so far.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I've never been to 751 but 65 has some of the roughest terrain in Colorado if not North America so you may be mistaken on 751 being more rugged.

Plenty of mountain maggots in the Cimmarons.

The early rifle hunt in 65 makes it tough for a buck to make it to maturity if he summers above timberline.

Rich M

WKR
Imo, just do it. Pick one and run with it.

There are bucks in every unit, can you kill him? I've always gone with the following advice:

Hunt sunup to sundown every day you can. Chances are you will have a chance at a good buck. Then you have to make the shot.

So practice shooting!

Good luck!

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I've never been to 751 but 65 has some of the roughest terrain in Colorado if not North America so you may be mistaken on 751 being more rugged.

Plenty of mountain maggots in the Cimmarons.

The early rifle hunt in 65 makes it tough for a buck to make it to maturity if he summers above timberline.
That’s a good point about the early rifle season. Hadn’t thought about that. And by the points it takes a lot of folks go for that one. Thanks for the input.

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Imo, just do it. Pick one and run with it.

There are bucks in every unit, can you kill him? I've always gone with the following advice:

Hunt sunup to sundown every day you can. Chances are you will have a chance at a good buck. Then you have to make the shot.

So practice shooting!

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply Rich. It’s a good reminder for me to not go so far down the rabbit hole. It’s easy for me to geek out on trying to analyze this stuff. But you’re right, Just Go. I’m pumped and can’t wait for the experience.