Trying to figure out What happened y'day.

TheGDog

WKR
2nd set y'day... kinda caught me by surprise! Within like 30-45 seconds after I started playing the caller, one came in hot!

Where he came in from, at the right-hand edge of my FOV, he crossed an open space of about something like 10ft., then where were two low pieces of brush (see attached pic).

Before playing caller, I typically place rifle/tripod such that I can easily see the MOJO in the scope.

He crossed that little space fullsteam, and I was expecting him to exit out the other side of the two pieces of brush there... but then..... nothing.

Upon seeing him, about when his head and shoulders were behind the first bush, I did reach up and slightly move over the tripod so I'd be more pointed towards those two bushes, rather than the open space.

So best I can figure... either.. my body tensed up and moved slightly upon seeing him maybe, and he possibly spotted that?
...OR...
when I moved the tripod over... I think there was a lull in the sound playback... so maybe he heard my clothing?
...OR...
The MOJO spooked him?

Kind of thinking I should have not bothered with the tripod since this opening area is not very big.

So anyhoo... then I'm holding on those two bushes... and since he didn't come out the other side.. my thought was he's contemplating it on the other side of those bushes... so paused sound, then hurried changed it over to a certain Pup distress sound. Sitting at the ready all super tensed up.. and then......nothing.

Not sure but think I later on saw some movement between the bushes and the juniper line, slightly left of the center of this pic.

So he must have retreated going directly away from me toward that Juniper that is directly behind those two bushes. It's the only thing I can figure that makes sense.

I just don't get how he busted me though. That I recall the wind was coming at my face at an angle from the direction he entered in from.

Thoughts?
2nd_set_FOV - Annotated.jpg

Last edited:

36Fan

FNG
Most likely it picked up your scent from the caller, decoy or even you. I rarely use a decoy now unless Im hunting for cats, even then the motion is slow.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
You've done better than me by 100%.
A lot of that is location. They can't come in to the call if they're just not there.

I suppose the real test will be, me going back to locations I put a lot of time in with the prior caller (and not getting any takers), then trying it with the X24... to see if that is the difference.

Last day of Dove Season I went back again to this area, but the Doves just weren't flying around anymore. That area gets hammered hard.

So instead... so my Gas expense wasn't in vain, I busted out with the Pocket Prey little mini hand-held caller that just does this one call that's sort of a Baby Cottontail sounding kinda deal... at a slightly different spot in that same area, and low and behold one came right up to me. But the result with a single shot of #6 steel didn't seem to phase him, and I messed up on working the pump properly because that hand was holding the lil caller, so got an FTE, had to re-rack it.... and by then only had a butt shot as he's haulin' butt away from me. Took it.. but to no avail. It's possible he died later, I'd imagine. But at the time I didn't see anything to indicate he got hurt. Confused and bewildered, I figured I must have just missed.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Most likely it picked up your scent from the caller, decoy or even you. I rarely use a decoy now unless Im hunting for cats, even then the motion is slow.
Hrmm... so I assume that means you'r using that Primos one where you can slow it down a bit. I have one of those, guess I'll give it a shot. It's just a PITA with the stick-in kind because ya have to constantly un-screw and re-screw back-in the spike. But yeah... I bought that one because I felt being able to dial the speed slower made a LOT more sense to achieve a much more life-like looking "injured prey" look to it.

However, I've also seen on vids, where they charge right up to the MOJO's. So I guess it's just each individual dogs temperament or something.

EDIT: I'll have to double-check, but I think I ended-up having to stop using that one because the nut the spike screws into inside.. came out of the chamber in the plastic that holds it aligned with the hole.

Last edited:

36Fan

FNG
One thing is for certain, using a decoy can be a big debate amongst hunters. As mentioned I don't use them much unless for cat or maybe during contests. I use Lucky Duck callers and also a Fox Pro CS24 mainly.

When I do run a decoy its tucked in between bushes or some brush. You don't want the coyote to hang up out of sight or shooting range. If they can spot it too easy they will hang up and figure it out. Have to keep their curiosity up right until you pull the trigger.

Fresh ears and private land makes for great videos FYI.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Fresh ears and private land makes for great videos FYI.
Was gonna ask you what "Fresh ears" meant... but I think I figured it out, you mean yotes that simply have never heard a caller before. Since you also mentioned private land. Correct?

P.S. thanks for the tip about the motion decoy placement. So in my instance.. I should try to obscure the body of the caller by placing it behind.. on the downwind side of a piece of low-lying brush/grasses, correct?

WCB

WKR
The decoy could have easily spooked him. Looking at the cover I don't think I would have even though about putting out a decoy...like putting a deer decoy out in thick brush or spots where they won't see it until they are right on top of it. I have done it once and saw their reaction and never again.

IMO for a yote to make a straight 90 and leave it was either the decoy or he hit scent. How far of a shot can you take there...my real question is why not have a shotgun in that situation and forget the tripod.

It is amazing how they just disappear. You think you are confused try hunting in like the Dakotas in wide open snow covered terrain and have one at 100 yards or so just work behind a snow drift to never be seen again.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
my real question is why not have a shotgun in that situation and forget the tripod.
Yeah, I was realizing that too while I was out there. Mostly it burned in my soul of not being able to pull the trigger the last time, so wanted to right that wrong and give the AR it's chance to make good.

Hey question, what's the smallest steel shot you'd consider using for yotes for a scenario like this? The largest I have is a small amount of, I think it's BB, or BBB. But only like 1 box. I have multiples boxes of #2 and #3 for waterfowl though.

WCB

WKR
Yeah, I was realizing that too while I was out there. Mostly it burned in my soul of not being able to pull the trigger the last time, so wanted to right that wrong and give the AR it's chance to make good.

Hey question, what's the smallest steel shot you'd consider using for yotes for a scenario like this? The largest I have is a small amount of, I think it's BB, or BBB. But only like 1 box. I have multiples boxes of #2 and #3 for waterfowl though.
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a well patterned #3 out to 35-40 yards. I've rolled running coyotes at 30ish with #4 steel while Pheasant hunting.

If I go specifically targeting Coyotes with a Shotgun I take Copper plated lead BBs or 2s though.

2nd set y'day... kinda caught me by surprise! Within like 30-45 seconds after I started playing the caller, one came in hot!

Where he came in from, at the right-hand edge of my FOV, he crossed an open space of about something like 10ft., then where were two low pieces of brush (see attached pic).

Before playing caller, I typically place rifle/tripod such that I can easily see the MOJO in the scope.

He crossed that little space fullsteam, and I was expecting him to exit out the other side of the two pieces of brush there... but then..... nothing.

Upon seeing him, about when his head and shoulders were behind the first bush, I did reach up and slightly move over the tripod so I'd be more pointed towards those two bushes, rather than the open space.

So best I can figure... either.. my body tensed up and moved slightly upon seeing him maybe, and he possibly spotted that?
...OR...
when I moved the tripod over... I think there was a lull in the sound playback... so maybe he heard my clothing?
...OR...
The MOJO spooked him?

Kind of thinking I should have not bothered with the tripod since this opening area is not very big.

So anyhoo... then I'm holding on those two bushes... and since he didn't come out the other side.. my thought was he's contemplating it on the other side of those bushes... so paused sound, then hurried changed it over to a certain Pup distress sound. Sitting at the ready all super tensed up.. and then......nothing.

Not sure but think I later on saw some movement between the bushes and the juniper line, slightly left of the center of this pic.

So he must have retreated going directly away from me toward that Juniper that is directly behind those two bushes. It's the only thing I can figure that makes sense.

I just don't get how he busted me though. That I recall the wind was coming at my face at an angle from the direction he entered in from.

Thoughts?
View attachment 388434
I have had the same thing happen a couple times… one time hunting with my brother in law, we had one run by maybe 5yds and just kept going… didn’t get our wind or acknowledge us, just came trotting by and kept going the same speed with no chance for a shot

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a well patterned #3 out to 35-40 yards. I've rolled running coyotes at 30ish with #4 steel while Pheasant hunting.

If I go specifically targeting Coyotes with a Shotgun I take Copper plated lead BBs or 2s though.
So sounds like BB or BBB in Steel should be what I try to pickup next time. (If I don't find any heavier than lead options in stock) But that in the meantime, ok to try with these #2, #3 in steel as well... but don't push it very far with them for distance. Sound about right?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Well... it'll be a few more weeks until I can get out again. But last time at ammo shop, best they had was Hevi-Shot - Hevi-Bismuth #4 3" 1 3/8oz 1450fps 12ga, so I said "ouch" and forked over the mula.

I figure #4... but in the Heavier-than-lead Bismuth.... out of a Modified Choke that's rated for Heavier-than-lead, should handle a yote righteously at any distance I'd ever be inclined to take a shot at one.

But yeah man... I wanna say that one box of 25rds was.. $44 I think?