trying to find a elk call

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Have been watching two you tube videos by elknut and in one of his videos he has hand held call he that describes as an elk gonk. I have heard bulls make this sound a lot and so I saw his video and for the last two months I have been trying find one. Looked at rocky mountian, primos etc.
It is hand held and he open hands the top of it making that gonk sound. I have been trying for a couple weeks to duplicate with a reed. No luck. Does anyone know where you can find one of these?

Jbehredt

WKR
Pat your open palm on the end of your bugle tube. Glunk. I’ve only felt the need to use it in an active sequence once and it got wild.

IdahoElk

WKR
Why would you want to make that sound? Herd bulls do that when they are moving their cows to a different area.

Fullfan

WKR
I can make a glunking sound, by using the palm of my open hand. I strike it against the large opening in my bugle tube. Was able to sneak in on a mature bull and his cows last Sept. he was screaming his head off. I gave him a challenge from about 70 yds, he would answer back. I attempted “ My” glunking. He went silent and the entire heard vanished.

• Banned
OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Right i meant glunk. Thanks for the replies, Bugle tube. Didn't know why that didn't occur to me, I hope senility isn't creeping inn on me.

Why would you want to make that sound? Herd bulls do that when they are moving their cows to a different area.

That is not true. They are making this sound to see if any cows in the harem are in heat and ready to breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewP

FNG
You can make the sound with your voice too. I believe Joel Turner has examples of this.

IdahoElk

WKR
That is not true. They are making this sound to see if any cows in the harem are in heat and ready to breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree when bulls are Glunking they can be scenting cows in the herd but they are almost always crazily going back and forth through the herd moving them around.
Have you ever had a bull come in by Glunking? I just don't see it being an effective call as bulls that are glunking are worked up and not interested in leaving cows.

Yeah you dont need a reed in your mouth to glunk. You can do it by patting your palm on the mouth piece of the bugle tube but it sounds better the way elknut teaches it, which is to just pop your lips to sound like water droplets kinda

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I agree when bulls are Glunking they can be scenting cows in the herd but they are almost always crazily going back and forth through the herd moving them around.
Have you ever had a bull come in by Glunking? I just don't see it being an effective call as bulls that are glunking are worked up and not interested in leaving cows.
The biggest bull I ever had come in to my calls was glunking. He was coming to cow call . I agree it’s not common but I have definitely had them do it