trying to fix Knight Ultra Light misfire problem

OP
R
Putting a bow on this thread because it saved my bacon this month:

I swapped out the bolt for a new one from Knight (operating it felt and sounded different from the original), shimmed out the breech plug by .025", and went shooting. First shot was 3.5" wide at 50 yards, which i attributed to the grease applied to the front and back of the shim. (From then on I remembered to snap 3 caps after installing the breech plug and shim.)

The shim process is doubly annoying because of 1) its potential to degrade first-shot accuracy (my gun likes a pristine barrel so snapping caps hadn't been part of my routine), and 2) if you forget the shim is in there when you clean the gun, you stand a good chance of losing or damaging it. I've done both already. So i will be following up with Knight about replacing my barrel with one that isn't reamed out too deep, unless they want to send me a lifetime supply of breech plugs or nipples that are a little longer than normal.

After 6 shots I got a misfire, which, well, ok, maybe that was the nipple getting dirty? Gave it a good wipe and shot a few more times with no trouble.

Then i went elk hunting. Didn't get a chance at any bulls, so I took a 100-yard shot on a cow towards the end of the week. Gun went bang, cow elk ran 25 yards and fell over. The elk was bedded downhill from me, so i was able to send in the 460gr No Excuses at the very top of the near shoulder, hitting only the scapula, and have it pass through the heart and under the far shoulder, where it ended up lodged in the meat of the far elbow.

Thanks to sabotloader and everyone else who chimed in on this thread to help get me functional and confident as prep came down to the wire before this hunt!

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
R
Hey everyone -- I sent this rifle back to Knight for warranty service so that they could make their own evaluation and enact a permanent solution while the rifle is still under warranty. According to Knight, it seems that the plug/nipple that came with the gun were at the short end of the design tolerances. Steve at Knight installed a pair that were at the long end, test-fired it, and sent it back.

Last fall's Idaho muzzleloader hunt is unlikely to be repeated by this Virginia boy, so I doubt I'll ever need this western-legal setup again. So, now that Knight has corrected the issue i described in this thread, I'm comfortable offering this gun up for sale. I'm not a fan of trying to pass off a gun that has a problem.

So if anyone wants to be the next owner of a Knight Ultra Lite that made a heart shot on the only animal it's ever been pointed at and just got a clean bill of health from Knight, now's your chance. It's fully set up with peep sight and also comes with a 209 bare primer conversion.

I'll post an item in the classified section of the forum in the near future.

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
O golly! that is way to big of a gap! After seeing that I am afraid the new bolt will not help! You need a longer breech plug. Knight would need to cut you a longer one, which they could not do with out the rifle.

There possibly is a short term fix if the new bolt doesn't work.

Sending you a PM...
Hey Mike, could this be the issue with my knight ultra lite? What ragged claws is describing with the misfires is what I seem to be experiencing with my new knight ultralite. I'll have to measure the gap between the closed bolt face and the leading edge of the nipple.

Sending you a PM

Hey Mike, could this be the issue with my knight ultra lite? What ragged claws is describing with the misfires is what I seem to be experiencing with my new knight ultralite. I'll have to measure the gap between the closed bolt face and the leading edge of the nipple.

Sending you a PM

Well actually I do not think so - I do wish it were a little closer - but that should work. If the hammer were sticking out of the nose of the bolt, I would be more positive.

There would be test you could do but since Knight has had the rifle - I am almost positive they have the possible problem fixed.

mike

Last edited: