Trying to get my Cooper Excalibur in 28 nosler to group

I need some help. I have a Cooper Excalibur in 28 Nosler with tally bases, Vortex PMR mounts and a vortex viper pst ii. I have shot the nosler 185 Match, 175 ABLR, 160 AB and the Hornandy 162 Eldx and the smallest group I can get out if is about 3 MOA. Double checked all the mounts and connections etc. I have followed the break in instructions. I’m trying to rule out it being the gun, so is there any loads that people with a similar set up have found that works? Any help at all would be awesome. Thanks!

slvrslngr

WKR
Have you checked the action screws? Is the scope proven? Have you ruled out operator error?

OP
E
The scope is a brand new viper pst gen ii. I shot it and so did my buddy. Between us we have a pretty extensive shooting background between the army and competitions. Everything on the gun is brand new. We even went over everything today before shooting (all points of lock and contact with the weapon). I emailed vortex to see what the recoil rating is just to be sure. It’s a light rifle and that recoil is pretty intense. However, I’m wondering if the twist rate is too slow for the 160 and above. The card Cooper sent was shot with 140gr TSK which seems about ideal for a 1:9 groove. I’m just trying to rule stuff out and see if it just needs a specific load, or is there some other stuff I’m not seeing.

Marble

WKR
3 moa ...dang that's terrible. Something is really wrong with something.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

You might have to sell me the rifle really cheap, minus the scope. No, seriously, I would try a different scope. If that doesn’t work send the rifle back to Cooper. They will take care of it for you.

nobody

WKR
Swap the scope to something you know is proven before asking what's wrong with the gun or the load. Those PST's are solid, but I would bet the scope is the culprit. Happens every now and then, even with new optics. If it was me, I would put that scope on a gun that I KNOW shoots well, and put the scope from the good shooter on the new rifle. Shoot both. If the new gun still shoots bad and the proven gun shoots well, then you know it's the gun. If the new gun shoots well and the old proven rifle won't shoot anymore, then you know it's the scope. If the new gun won't shoot and the proven gun won't shoot with the PST, then I'm not sure what to tell you!

OP
E
Awesome. I appreciate it. That’s next on the list this weekend. It’s one of those things I don’t want to believe when you pay for that kind of product, but you’re all spot on with it. Time to throw on the MK 4. I’ll let you know how it goes if that’s not it and I’m back at the board.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Try it with the bullets cooper recommends to see if you can get it to group at all.

OP
E
You might have to sell me the rifle really cheap, minus the scope. No, seriously, I would try a different scope. If that doesn’t work send the rifle back to Cooper. They will take care of it for you.
Yea, their customer service has already been awesome. I bought this while I was deployed so I was well outside of the warranty registration window and they said send it on in and they’ll honor it. Pretty stoked about that.

OP
E
Try it with the bullets cooper recommends to see if you can get it to group at all.
I will when I can find a load for 140gr TSX bullets. Hendershots loads them but have cancelled all new orders. I guess I’m going to have to start reloading if I can find all the right stuff

If it's not the scope it may be the rings. I was having similar issues with a Cooper Model 92 with a Swaro Z5 scope. I had the rifle back to Cooper to get a bolt issue addressed and told them about the problem grouping and they shot it sub MOA. I also had the Swaro scope back to the factory to get a new turret installed, and they checked it out as well. The only thing that wasn't changed out were the rings, so I replaced the Talley rings with a different set of Talleys from their factory and that was it. I'm not always getting the greatest groups in the world, but I'm definitely down to 1 MOA, which is fine for my hunting purposes.

OP
E
If it's not the scope it may be the rings. I was having similar issues with a Cooper Model 92 with a Swaro Z5 scope. I had the rifle back to Cooper to get a bolt issue addressed and told them about the problem grouping and they shot it sub MOA. I also had the Swaro scope back to the factory to get a new turret installed, and they checked it out as well. The only thing that wasn't changed out were the rings, so I replaced the Talley rings with a different set of Talleys from their factory and that was it. I'm not always getting the greatest groups in the world, but I'm definitely down to 1 MOA, which is fine for my hunting purposes.
Thanks for the heads up. I truly want to believe it’s the scope, rings or mount... sorry you were having the same issues though! If you shoot factory loads, which ones? If not, what’s the work up you’re using for hand loads?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I took a Z5 off my 92 and got rid of it. That thing tracked like garbage. Meopta on it now and it shoots a quarter MOA all day long

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk