Trying to hunt with an infant

ODB

WKR
Your wife is pretty good.

Our 20th anniversary is on the 30th. I'll be hunting moose with a friend who drew a one-in-a-lifetime tag. After 7,300 days together, if a one or two day delay means the end of it all, there was nothing there to start with.

My kid is now 15, but when she was very young, we did stuff like this all the time. I'd go out for a week hunting, and she would go on a trip with the girls. Being a part-time solo parent is necessary, good, and a sign of competence.

Enjoy your trip.

And to your wife, enjoy your daughter.

My wife kicked me out of the house to go on a hunting trip two days after my 1st kid was born! I’m sure my MIL was upset but I don’t care. I was going to stay and help out but my wife told me to go. By the third kid she was on semi bed rest but could do things like drive herself to her Dr appointments. I made sure everything was ok and went elk hunting for a long weekend and had my Inreach with me. My wife would never dream of telling me no or restricting me and I would never do it to her. She is a school teacher and coaches high school soccer so is gone a lot during the week. I shuttle kids around, get them home, supper, homework, playtime, etc

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Going on a few day trip. Arranged for the MIL to come over and hang out while I'm gone. Win win.

kpk

WKR
I took a major break from hunting/fishing after my daughter was born because I wanted to - not because the wife wanted me to. When they are that little they change and grow so fast I didn't want to miss out. She's turning 3 in a couple weeks and it's much easier now. Being able to video call is great.

I have two out of state trips planned this year, and the wife is going to the Bahamas with her mother and oldest daughter.

Batch

FNG
ive been with my wife for 17 years, 3 kids, 3 deployments to iraq and lots of hunting trips. never did i feel bad about leaving for several days to hunt and my wife never made me feel bad. Its important to have time for yourself. Woman are pretty capable creatures and can handle a small child on their own for 4-5 days. I've worked with several guys that their wives would get mad because they hunt 5-10 days a year and the weekends. I don't get it.

woods89

WKR
My wife and I have 4 children, oldest turns 8 this week and the youngest is 3 months. I'm leaving for 10 days in November for an elk rifle tag and she'll take care of the house while I'm gone. I try really hard not to take that privilege for granted.

OP
H
Thanks for all your experiences and advice! I like hearing about how other guys are able to have plenty of time to hunt yet still have plenty of time for family and their family understands.

I forgot to mention how freaking awesome my wife really is. I know, I am one lucky SOB that I get to do a lot of the stuff I do. She knows how important hunting is to me and tried really hard to help me get to go.

My little girl is my first and only baby I'll have , so I have to remind myself those elk will be out there next year.

My wife and I have 4 children, oldest turns 8 this week and the youngest is 3 months. I'm leaving for 10 days in November for an elk rifle tag and she'll take care of the house while I'm gone. I try really hard not to take that privilege for granted.

I see what’s going on here.....go hunting for 10 days.....get home and you’re ready for some belly rubbin’ and she says she is too (really just trying to sniff out another woman after you being gone so long).....and then kid #5 shows up next July!

What’s killing me right now is the fact I work out of town 7 -10 days in a row then have a travel day each way. Wife is finishing up her medical training so working 50-70 hours a week. Makes it hard to justify getting away. Almost had a catastrophic situation when she told me I couldn’t go on my guided elk hunt this year because it was a bad month schedule wise for her. We have a 3 year old and 7 month old.

I did briefly discuss going on the hunt about 8 months before when we paid deposit. She briefly said ok and I booked. She of course didn’t have her schedule then and got stuck on a hard month when after a few months after her schedule had been posted she found out when our hunt dates were

So I've got a 3month old now. My first baby. She's more amazing than I ever thought possible. Sidenote: I still don't like other people's babies. Even though she melts my heart many times every day, I still want to get out to hunt 20+ days this year.

When archery elk opened, she was 2 months. I've got a combo elk tag where I can hunt archery, then rifle, then an extended archery on the same tag but can harvest only once. I also have an archery buck tag that is basically middle August to Dec 15ish.

Archery opened August 20ish and I've hunted 3 days. It's a 3ish hr drive one way to my archery honey hole.

I get to hunt rifle early/mid October by myself in the backcountry for 4 days, then take my kids out for their turn for 3-4 days. This is more acceptable because my girl will be old enough to handle higher altitude. Apparently you're not supposed to take your infant above 8000 ft until they're 3mo old.

Then I'll get a handful more weekends hunting within 30min of the house in high traffic awful areas that I hunt because that's what's available.

I have been really really bummed I've not been able to get out to hunt more. It's killing my soul. Part of it has been due to the altitude restriction on my girl. My wife would come along with her so I can help etc around lunch or in morning or something but all places I hunt are too high. Last weekend was our wedding anniversary and this weekend I have to go out of state to visit family.

Can someone tell me my wife is awesome for letting me go backpack hunting for 4 days when we have a 3.5 mo old baby (I already know this) and that everything will be ok? Haha I'm living vicariously through everyone in here right now
There isn't alot Dad's can do for a baby in the first 3/6 months of life anyway.
Its more just look after the wife, until then.

Go.
Work hard out of the house, and give them your full attention in the house.

PRC_GUY

WKR
congrats
I love your little Angel, I would like to leave that angle home now with his mom now and good luck and be safe pout there in there wood.

Cowbell

WKR
There are all the years after this year to look forward to. Hunker down for a bit and throttle up once your little one is more self-sufficient.
I didn't realize we were guaranteed years after this year...

Cowbell

WKR
If you aren’t would your prefer your time with your new daughter or hunting?
We aren't even guaranteed tomorrow yet you have stated that you have trips lined up without your wife and kids. I spent my hunt last year helping a good friend get his first mule deer (170") with both of us knowing he wouldn't make it to this fall - he passed away in June in his early 50s. He had two daughters and a new grandson and he wanted to make that hunt happen. Was that selfish of him? No. Because he wanted to live - abd they wanted it for him, A week spent right in the woods will help everyone at home if handled right. You are not picking between the two.

slatty

WKR
Can someone tell me my wife is awesome for letting me go backpack hunting for 4 days when we have a 3.5 mo old baby (I already know this) and that everything will be ok? Haha I'm living vicariously through everyone in here right now
Your wife is awesome for letting you go backpack hunting for 4 days when you have a 3.5mo old baby, and everything will be ok.
Keep doing what you're doing and expand on it a little every year.