Trying to justify keeping my Honda Pioneer

I’m sitting here, at war with 2 of my personalities. Logical me says “ sale that stupid utv” not so logical me says “ you should keep it, you never know when you’ll need it”. I’ve had it a little over a year and put 700 miles on it. Honestly other than camping and December elk hunting, I don’t use it. If I break down miles to cost, it’s pretty depressing.
You have to admit, the outdoor industries have done a stellar job of convincing us that we need stuff, that we really don’t.

I have a 2018 I bought brand new. I only have 1900 miles on it in 3 seasons. I absolutely would not trade those 1900 miles for the money I paid for it. I have taken *atleast 2 mule deer that I 100% would not have without it. The rough roads I am now willing to go on to get to my hunting spots have game I would have never found. If I were to take my pickup up some of these roads I would likely end up pissing blood. lol. The 20k I spent was well worth it imo.

OP
Customweld
I have a 2018 I bought brand new. I only have 1900 miles on it in 3 seasons. I absolutely would not trade those 1900 miles for the money I paid for it. I have taken *atleast 2 mule deer that I 100% would not have without it. The rough roads I am now willing to go on to get to my hunting spots have game I would have never found. If I were to take my pickup up some of these roads I would likely end up pissing blood. lol. The 20k I spent was well worth it imo.
A lot of the places I hunt are getting really cracked down on in terms of OHV’s. That was how I envisioned using mine as well, it just doesn’t seem to be working out that way. I really haven’t had it anywhere that I wouldn’t take my Tacoma.

EJMK

FNG
I had the same conversation with myself a few years ago and settled on selling my sxs and now I kind of wish I hadn’t. At the time I didn’t feel I used it enough and made the snap decision to get rid of it. Now I’ve been looking at buying one again but can’t get myself to do it. I’ve been fine without it but after having one you realize they sure make a lot of situations more convenient. If I did it over, I would have kept it I think.

OP
Customweld
I had the same conversation with myself a few years ago and settled on selling my sxs and now I kind of wish I hadn’t. At the time I didn’t feel I used it enough and made the snap decision to get rid of it. Now I’ve been looking at buying one again but can’t get myself to do it. I’ve been fine without it but after having one you realize they sure make a lot of situations more convenient. If I did it over, I would have kept it I think.
That’s good info @EJMK. I’m trying to rationalize my decision , not based on a snap .

I've got a SXS and it's staying. We don't use it for everything, but when you need one, you REALLY need one. They're not getting any cheaper either, it'll just cost more if you decide you need one in the future.

TheTone

WKR
There is a chance you could sell it used right now for more than what you paid. The market is crazy, my dad is on a waiting list for a new 520 and was told 8-12 months probably

ahlgringo

WKR
I bought a Pio 500 the year it came out, love that thing. Been on some epic adventures and it has never let me down. No way I am selling it anytime soon.

My daily is a 3500 longbed, so there's that too.

A lot of the places I hunt are getting really cracked down on in terms of OHV’s. That was how I envisioned using mine as well, it just doesn’t seem to be working out that way. I really haven’t had it anywhere that I wouldn’t take my Tacoma.
Yeah, Arizona is pretty lenient on SxS's. I have heard other states are tightening up their restrictions, so I understand you questioning owning one. What would you do with the money you would make from selling it? or are you paying payments? That would help me with a decision. Any more, I rarely drive off pavement more than a few miles before unloading the SxS.

OP
Customweld
Yeah, Arizona is pretty lenient on SxS's. I have heard other states are tightening up their restrictions, so I understand you questioning owning one. What would you do with the money you would make from selling it? or are you paying payments? That would help me with a decision. Any more, I rarely drive off pavement more than a few miles before unloading the SxS.
I owe a couple thousand on it. The leftover would be put back in to the bank. Most of our Forest Service trails are 50” and under. I definitely don’t fall under that. Idaho Fish and Game has their own off road rules and all of the units that I hunt have those restrictions.
The UTV market is crazy up here and if a guy was going to get out, now would be the time to do it.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
@Customweld I’m in the same boat. Mine sits in my garage 350 days out of the year and it pisses me off knowing there’s $18,000 doing nothing. I can take a truck down 75% of the roads I’ve driven the sxs down. I’m interested to hear everyone’s opinions on this.

tdhanses

WKR
There are plenty of places to ride in ID, start looking into recreation use, they are a blast for that.

axeforce6

WKR
I have 200 miles on my RMAX. I've had it for about a year and a half. It sits a lot. I start it up and let it run up to temp about once a week. I finally got a place to hunt that's about 15 minutes from my house. I made it road legal so now I can just load it up and drive it from my house to hunt. It'll get more use now. I pull it back home to deer hunt with as well. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

KurtR

WKR
Between getting out in fields when its wet hunting waterfowl and ice fishing and just using it around town my wife wants one so i think in the next year or so we will pull the trigger. It will be super handy for putting set ups out for dog training also. For alot of people its their daily driver here pickup sits in the garage

wapitibob

WKR
I have a 2005 polaris 500 with maybe 1200 miles. I will never sell it. I was in a different situation than you however, my company bought the quad as "material handling equipment".
This is 11 miles from camp and takes well over an hour in a truck, it's a 15 minute ride on the quad.

b.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Customweld
I have a 2005 polaris 500 with maybe 1200 miles. I will never sell it. I was in a different situation than you however, my company bought the quad as "material handling equipment".
This is 11 miles from camp and takes well over an hour in a truck, it's a 15 minute ride on the quad.

View attachment 425699
I have a quad that I use once in a while and I most definitely wouldn't sale it. The nice thing about a 4 wheeler is it fits in the back of my Tacoma.